ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 6th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #1
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

Upgrading my stock 07' 250

Finally broke the ninja in with about 900 miles and 5 oil changes later I want to pimp it out and make it more unique.

1) First things first - the freaking fender! I want to clean it up and have something really small in the place.

2) Add additional tail lamps in the side pods for more visibility and to just give it more of a bike look vs the moped look.

3) Put small little signal lights or reverse flush lights on the side of the body.

4) Monster decals to liven up the bike from all black.

5) Lime green rim tape

6) Double bubble windshield

7) Flush signals front and back.

8) Better "green" kawi grips

9) Possible rear shock swap and front shock oil swap+adjusters.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #2
kkim

I'd be very interested in seeing before and after pics, so take pics... lots of pics.

...and perhaps some DIYs, too?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #3
djpharoah
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I'd be very interested in seeing before and after pics, so take pics... lots of pics.

...and perhaps some DIYs, too?
Sure thing. I want to really get into this without breaking the bank.

Old December 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #4
stevenz1g
ninjette.org member

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Tank pads can be had for as little as 10 bucks on ebay.
stevenz1g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #5
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenz1g View Post
Tank pads can be had for as little as 10 bucks on ebay.
I got mine for a buck with an order from Iron Pony...

I've done most of what you are thinking about. Do the rear lighting first. Visibility is of the utmost importance. I put a brake light modulator on all three rear bulbs for extra effect.

I took my Dremel to the rear inner fender and put a cheap little plate mount and some mini indicators so my saddlebags would have clearance.

I cut my own windscreen out of a sheet of Lexan from the Home Depot. I can ride at the uppermost position at freeway speeds comfortably now. It's not as pretty, but it's the best option available for my riding style.

No suspension mods here yet, I'll probably do that when I wear out the current shock and forks.

Graphics aren't my thing. I'll end up without any graphics eventually, I like a clean look. Though, there are a few Ninjettes with nice custom graphics out there.

sprale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #6
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
1) First things first - the freaking fender! I want to clean it up and have something really small in the place.
Before you do this, ask yourself will I ride in the rain or when the roads are wet? Because that rear fender is there for a reason, to keep stuff from flying up and hitting you, your passenger, or your tail-bag on the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
6) Double bubble windshield
Nice windshield, I've had one and liked the way it looks. You might also think about the Euro Shield from Mike at MikesShields.

Old December 9th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
Before you do this, ask yourself will I ride in the rain or when the roads are wet? Because that rear fender is there for a reason, to keep stuff from flying up and hitting you, your passenger, or your tail-bag on the back.
He lives in Irvine. If he doesn't ride when it's wet out, that cuts out about 15 days per year. Since everybody else in California forgets how to drive when it's wet out, probably a smart idea to stay out of the impact zone if possible.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #8
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Since everybody else in California forgets how to drive when it's wet out, probably a smart idea to stay out of the impact zone if possible.
Yep, point taken.
Tony

Old December 9th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #9
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
Nice windshield, I've had one and liked the way it looks. You might also think about the Euro Shield from Mike at MikesShields.
I saw a pic of one of Mike's early ones and cut my own. Probably not as nice, but I'm a cheap bastard.

sprale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #10
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Good Job That windshield looks pretty good to me. I've got one of mike's early sport touring windshields, it sure keeps the cold air off of me.

This weekend I thought I'd touch up the paint on it, as I had painted the lower part when I bought it. There was some areas I had missed and it was also getting scratches in it. However I forgot about the cold temperature making a difference on painting, the fresh paint immediately started cracking as soon as I sprayed it . So I went back to the original small one, until I can strip and repaint it.
Tony

Old December 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM   #11
djpharoah
\m/

Done a lot of thinking and have come to the conclusion that I will keep my bike in its original stock form and will sell it in this spring. Then move up to something like an sv650 or so.

Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:39 AM   #12
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Good idea on keeping it basically stock, however I'd get some more miles riding before I'd upgrade to anything.