ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #1
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

Seat Cowl: Locking?

I was looking at my motorcycle today and I noticed that the posterior portion of my seat cowl was sitting a bit high. I then proceded to lift it up and see if I can obtain my insurance and regestration. I can.

I am not all to happy about the vulnerability of my papers to theft just by lifting the rear portion out a bit. So I was wondering if any of you guys found an effective means to locking that rear seat cowl down.

I'm not riding too fast... I'm flying too low.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #2
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

Did you have that little clip at the rear engaged tightly?
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #3
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Yeah. I tried it again by fitting the male end (found under the posterior portion of the seat cowl) into the rubber grommet (on the bike) as securely as possible and I can still lift up the rear part up while the front part is locked in.

Old March 17th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #4
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

The very rear of the seat(the part that is at the back of the bike) has an open clip on the bottom of the seat, and there is a 'hook' on the bike itself. These should slide into each other and then the front hooks and latches down into the lock. I made the same mistake when I first got my bike, didnt latch it down, took off, 20 miles later realized I left my rear set at home.
DmbShn41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #5
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Look to see if the rubber grommet is positioned right, or torn. Mine will come out of place and would have to wiggle it around to get back in and it eventually tore.

nb

Old March 17th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #6
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
The very rear of the seat(the part that is at the back of the bike) has an open clip on the bottom of the seat, and there is a 'hook' on the bike itself. These should slide into each other and then the front hooks and latches down into the lock. I made the same mistake when I first got my bike, didnt latch it down, took off, 20 miles later realized I left my rear set at home.

You are misunderstanding me though. This is for a 'rear seat cowl', what you are referring to is for the passenger seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
Look to see if the rubber grommet is positioned right, or torn. Mine will come out of place and would have to wiggle it around to get back in and it eventually tore.
The rubber grommet is positioned correctly and even when the male end of the cowl is set in properly, the back portion can still be pulled up.

I think I might just resort to attaching a metal bracket to the cowl so that it will slip into the holder like the passenger seat does.

Old March 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

when I got my cowl it was a bit stiff but after a while was a bit more secure. The design itself using a rear grommit to hold it in place is not very secure IMHO...
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #8
Ninja007
忍者

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): None Now - Used to have an '08 Ninja 250R Candy Blue

I hear ya islanderman, that rubber grommet doesn't really do jack. guess we just have to hope that no one really knows our insurance, ect. is in there!
Ninja007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #9
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja007 View Post
guess we just have to hope that no one really knows our insurance, ect. is in there!
I carry mine in my wallet.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #10
DirtyBoy
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Once the grommet is positioned correctly try pushing down on the seat cowl as you lock it. Mine lifts up if I don't do that.
49T sprkt/ EK gold chain/ Galfer pads and SS lines/120 frt 150 rr Pilot Powers/ GSX-R can/Desnorkled/ Raised needles/ Slider spools/ Cowl/ LED rear signals/ Fender eliminator/ Tinted lights / Emu seat
DirtyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #11
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I carry mine in my wallet.
Ditto. Nothing valuable is stored on my bike.

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote