ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 24th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #1
mariorivera830
MoVal's only ninjette :(

Name: Mario

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r SE Black with a dash of yellow

Any new tires coming up?

As I'm sure some of you are like me and get p.o'd when you buy a piece of technology and something better comes out like 6 months later, I have a question about tires.

I am going to be getting some new tires soon. I have in my mind the BT45s for the front and rear. I know there are always threads asking which are better between the BT45s and the Pirellis. I heard the Pirellis take awhile to warm up and are inferior the BT45s for weather riding (rain and crappy SoCal fwys).

The question is this: Are these two tires the cream of the crop for our bikes? These are the only ones I really hear of, but are there any new tires coming down the pipeline that I should consider? New company, new tech, or a new generation of these two?

I am in not in a "need" to get tire mode yet, but I have a plug in the meaty part of my rear tire and want to get them switched out prior to the hotter season coming. By the way, it's a 2012.
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Dammit, I always do this. Wrong forum, I meant to post this in the new gen 250 forum. Can a mod please move this.

Last futzed with by mariorivera830; January 24th, 2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: move request
mariorivera830 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I don't think there have been many technology advances in a few years in these tire sizes. Now that the Diablo Rossos are available in a 140, they are probably the most modern ones that are available in sizes that fit our bikes (250's or 300's) without many downsides. Still can't go wrong with street riding on the BT-45's, the GT-501's, or the Sport Demons; all available in the OEM recommended sizes.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #3
mariorivera830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I don't think there have been many technology advances in a few years in these tire sizes. Now that the Diablo Rossos are available in a 140, they are probably the most modern ones that are available in sizes that fit our bikes (250's or 300's) without many downsides. Still can't go wrong with street riding on the BT-45's, the GT-501's, or the Sport Demons; all available in the OEM recommended sizes.
Ok thanks, I figured someone here might know if something was coming up. I just hate it when it happens to me. Like when I bought my 250, it was in June of last year and then the announcement for the 300 came out not too long later. Oh well! Thanks again and now the shopping starts.

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #4
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Is this true about the pirellis? I don't think I've ever heard about them being bad in different weather conditions. I know they may take a little longer to warm up as they are a more sport oriented tire, but I would think that would mean better for all weather riding.

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I haven't used them in any rainstorms, have only been on moderately wet pavement. They seem OK, but not great. They have very little siping in their tread pattern, and once leaned over a moderate amount, the footprint approaches slicks.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #6
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
BT-45's are awesome in the rain. I've ridden in conditions with them that most people would never even think of riding a motorcycle in. Like downpours so heavy that even the cars were pulling off to the side of the road.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7
mariorivera830

Yeah, I've been on stock tires and I have to ride on the rain and wind. The wind is what really kicks my ass. There's a passage right next to some mountains or some might call them large hills. But the wind coming off of them for about 15 miles is brutal. Factor in the rain and f'd up freeways around here and it can get crazy scary. Hopefully a little wider tires helps me out.

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
BT-45's are awesome in the rain. I've ridden in conditions with them that most people would never even think of riding a motorcycle in. Like downpours so heavy that even the cars were pulling off to the side of the road.
I've done that on bald IRC's
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariorivera830 View Post
YFactor in the rain and f'd up freeways around here and it can get crazy scary. Hopefully a little wider tires helps me out.
It won't. The contact patch changes negligibly, and the tire profile is still similar.

Old January 24th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #10
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
FWIW, BT45's are great on wet pavement and in rain.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #11
NinjaBoyEddy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eduardo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r special edition

Get bt003 or bt16 or the new s20 all by bridgestone 120Front 150Rear daabest
NinjaBoyEddy is offline   Reply With Quote