ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 9th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #1
ride2rideagain
total N00B

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Unhappy another one that doesn't start

Pulled out my bike from storage, put in battery, fired it, did not start. Heated up the carb area with a heater, full choke, it'll fire and barely stay on. If I lower the choke even a little or open the throttle a little, it'd turn off.

It sucks, because it's my first riding season, and here in Canada, every day you can ride and you dont, is a waste Did all my steps right, stabilized fuel, changed oil, battery tender on battery....saved up every penny and put insurance on it and purchased all my mods during winter.

Another memeber, choneofakind, is send me some washers to do a shim-job. Have a K&N air filter ready to go in with a Yoshi Slip-On and Scott's tire hugger waiting in line right after the shim-job. May be some HIDs as well.

Seen KKim's clean out jets DIY....if that is also my problem....

Not confident enough to pull out the carbs even with the great DIYs, having a guy come over to fix it, but he's a busy guy. Don't know how long it'll be. Not the best start to my first ever riding season.

p.s not sure if this is tech or general discussion, pretty much me whining and complaining
ride2rideagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #2
nelly07
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Same thing happened to me. I checked my plugs and they were jet black. This may be something to check out
nelly07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

What fuel stabilizer did you use?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #4
nelly07
ninjette.org member

My mechanic did say my carbs were a little cloged but that was because even tho I put stabilizer in my gas I didn't run it thru the carbs so old gas just sat there all winter. He say a little bit of sea foam would clear it right up

Old April 9th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #5
kkim

yes, if you put stabilizer into the gas and didn't run the bike long enough after that to make sure the stabilized gas would make it to the carbs, the carbs were stored with regular gas and will gum up.

you can try and run seafoam, but that's no guaranty it will clean it up. if it doesn't, you know what you need to do.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Cloud Strife
Hot Wheels

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawi Ninja 250R

As you said, the DIY is top notch and before my carbs got gunked up, I didn't know anything about the inner workings of my bike. It's almost a good thing that I had to do some work because that's what built my confidence. If you have to, dig in. I know it's easier to let someone else do it (because I thought about it) but not worth it in the long run
Cloud Strife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #7
ride2rideagain
total N00B

I used this:

I ran the bike after for a good while to ensure stabilized gas makes way to the carbs. But I guess that stabilizer didn't do it's job.

I am confident enough to reach the carbs to shim them. But my confidence is shattered when it comes to removing the carbs to clean the jets.

Someone, mentioned it could be the sparkplugs....but the bike does fire with full choke on, doesn't it mean that it's receiving gas from the choke to fire, but once choke is off, the jets aren't allowing gas in and that's why it turns off. If the plugs were messed, they wouldn't fire the bike at all. Correct me if I am wrong.

Another fun fact about my situation, I also winterized two of my friends Ninja 250s in my garage and they fired up first try. Same process was used for all three. Some bad luck eh.

Cheers to all for helping

Old April 9th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #8
ride2rideagain
total N00B

OO...and I did put in fresh gas with the carb cleaner and ran it for about 30mins, no luck

Old April 9th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Cloud Strife
Hot Wheels

Sounds a lot like the problems I had...pulling and cleaning the carbs sorted it all out. A PITA but it was a good experience : P

Old April 9th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #10
maraci
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Green Ninja 250r

same problem i'm having. It's at the shop because I don't have the tool's or the time to try and clean the carbs myself..
I just wasted a week of riding
maraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #11
Cloud Strife
Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraci View Post
same problem i'm having. It's at the shop because I don't have the tool's or the time to try and clean the carbs myself..
I just wasted a week of riding
What're they charging you for it?

Old April 9th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #12
nelly07
ninjette.org member

I just picked mine up from the shop. It was 70 bucks but that included the new spark plugs

Old April 9th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #13
maraci
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Green Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Strife View Post
What're they charging you for it?
I haven't talked to the mechanic yet. I only dropped it off today because I couldn't on monday. I'll post here when I find out how much it will be... =S
I don't really have a choice but to pay up unfortunately. It's going to be my commuting vehicle as soon as I'm done school this week.
maraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #14
ride2rideagain
total N00B

It is very difficult having some one come fix it even though many say they will in their ads. Two more days, and I'll trailer it out to a shop and just fix it right away.

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #15
ride2rideagain
total N00B

After reading the DIYs thoroughly and gathering up some courage, I have decided that I will rip though the bike and pull out the carbs and clean them myself. I am not the most mechanically inclined person so if any of the experienced members could confirm that gunky jets are most likely my problem....it would be great. Here are the basics again:

Pulled out my bike from winter storage, put in battery, fired it, did not start.
Heated up the carb area with a heater, full choke, it'll fire and barely stay on.
If I lower the choke even a little or open the throttle a little, it'd turn off.

To winterize, added stabilizer, ran bike to get stabilized fuel to carbs, pulled battery.

Please advise.

Old April 11th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #16
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

Try a pair of new plugs, Half choke it. Check position of petcock.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #17
kkim

what stabilizer did you use? did you put you petcock on prime when trying to start? if, not try it in prime.

have you drained out all the old gas and refilled with fresh?

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #18
ride2rideagain
total N00B

I used motomaster stabilizer, that fuel has been drained completely and put in new fuel, added sum carb cleaner as well but no luck.

Will try putting the petcock to prime and starting it. If that doesn't work, I'll try changing the plugs.

Old April 11th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My older brother in WV keeps insisting that the bike doesn't need winterizing just because his classic KLR 650 never needs it. He insists, as if no Kawasaki needs it. I didn't want to argue, but does anyone have any idea why his KLR seems to be OK year after year without special care and yet ours seems so sensitive to it?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #20
ride2rideagain
total N00B

Petcock to prime....no luck

Sparkplugs...fine

Carbs....COMING OUT!!!!!

Old April 12th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #21
ride2rideagain
total N00B

Operation successful. Bike started, rode it around naked for a bit. I like riding naked things :P.

Timing couldn't be better. Choneofakind's washers were sitting in my friends mail box, shimmed the needles, two washers under each needle. Will throw in the K&N replacement filter, the Yosh pipe and Scott's tire hugger in tomorrow. See how it is after that....then will consider pulling snorkel.

1st Official Riding Season EVER is on........**knocks on wood**

Old April 12th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #22
ride2rideagain
total N00B

Thanks to those that helped and thanks a lot to the great members that posted the DIYs, where would we be without you guys

Old April 12th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #23
kkim

so, what was the problem?

Old April 12th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #24
ride2rideagain
total N00B

dirty pilots, just as your DIY predicted

Running seafoam through the tank right now just to be safe

Last futzed with by ride2rideagain; April 12th, 2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: why not?

Old April 12th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #25
kkim

thanks for the info. this will help in the future should someone search the threads and find them having the symptoms you've had to help diagnose their problems.

have fun with the bike!

Old April 15th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #26
ride2rideagain
total N00B

Oil Change with Motul 5100 and K&N oil filter, K&N replacement air filter, Yosh Pipe, Scotts Kawi Green Hugger and sum HIDs on now.....I'm loving it.

I think I am keeping the snorkel. It may need another washer if the snorkel is removed....it feels just about right the way it is now. I know without the pipe it was richer and started even without the choke and warmed up easily. With the pipe and the new air filter, it starts without the choke, but warms up faster if the choke is on and is a joy to ride. Snorkel will stay on unless a few more rides change my mind.

Thanks again to all that have helped, special thanks to KKim's DIY, choneofakind for washers and shade.of.black (kawiforum member) for DIY on how to remove carbs with stock airbox in place