ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Pictures

Old July 8th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #601
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I don't expect chris to get to njmp anytime soon, he has mid-o which is about even in terms of quality so he's good regardless.

I was just at njmp the other day myself, I run around a 1:45-1:48 or so on my 300

Old July 8th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #602
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I don't expect chris to get to njmp anytime soon, he has mid-o which is about even in terms of quality so he's good regardless.

I was just at njmp the other day myself, I run around a 1:45-1:48 or so on my 300
I am so lost by this comment. Although I am the newest on 2 wheels and by far the slowest, oldest, and most scared of our group, I am by far the track whore on 2 and 4 wheels. If it's not a complete downpour, I'll be there and racing.

I am nowhere near those times, lmao. I eat big bikes up in 11a and 11b, the 3-4 chicane, and I am as slow as a bicycle everywhere else. LOL! My emphasis is not being that jackass to over-run my abilities and go off-course, 200ft of grass, plus tire wall and guard rail and be out of work for the next six weeks like that guy last week who was going for a lap record in IS group.
95PGTTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #603
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PGTTech View Post
I am so lost by this comment. Although I am the newest on 2 wheels and by far the slowest, oldest, and most scared of our group, I am by far the track whore on 2 and 4 wheels. If it's not a complete downpour, I'll be there and racing.

I am nowhere near those times, lmao. I eat big bikes up in 11a and 11b, the 3-4 chicane, and I am as slow as a bicycle everywhere else. LOL! My emphasis is not being that jackass to over-run my abilities and go off-course, 200ft of grass, plus tire wall and guard rail and be out of work for the next six weeks like that guy last week who was going for a lap record in IS group.
Not sure what part you are lost by, if it's the name chris that's because you share your name with the thread owner chris smith. mid-o = mid ohio sportscar course.

Old July 8th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #604
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Not sure what part you are lost by, if it's the name chris that's because you share your name with the thread owner chris smith. mid-o = mid ohio sportscar course.
with context, now it makes sense. I didn't want anyone thinking I am any good on 2 wheels and following me into the grass. on 4 wheels, maybe you should follow/learn. on a motorcycle...stay clear, I am just out to have more fun than the street and learn

Old July 8th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #605
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
I eat big bikes up in 11a and 11b, the 3-4 chicane, and I am as slow as a bicycle everywhere else. LOL!
I just read this, interestingly enough you should be much quicker if you're doing well through 3 chicane, the right hander after that is wide open at 100+ then drop to 4th for the left and you're wide open all the way through to 9 where you back to 4th again and accelerate through again until you get back to the 3 chicane. You can go through 1 and 2 without braking, I roll off for 2 but I don't believe I need to so I'll be working on that next time I'm there, my general corner speed can be improved as I'm somewhere between 6-8s off the 300 record

Quote:
with context, now it makes sense. I didn't want anyone thinking I am any good on 2 wheels and following me into the grass. on 4 wheels, maybe you should follow/learn. on a motorcycle...stay clear, I am just out to have more fun than the street and learn
yeah, I remember my 4 wheels days. I miss it at times but it was hella expensive

Old July 8th, 2015, 09:56 PM   #606
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Hi Chris, I am Chris too. I figger it should be pretty easy to remember each others names.

I am afraid I don't get up to NJ very often, say... 2 times in my life, both for work reasons. Seems I am open to making trips that far north though. Did a trip to CT last year for good fun with a few ninjette members. Had a blast! Doing it again in about 30 days, Aug. 10/11 at Palmer in MA. Your welcome to join if the spots are available with TTD.

No worries on the old and slow thing, I am slower than honey bee farts on a cold winter's day.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2015, 05:25 AM   #607
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I just read this, interestingly enough you should be much quicker if you're doing well through 3 chicane, the right hander after that is wide open at 100+ then drop to 4th for the left and you're wide open all the way through to 9 where you back to 4th again and accelerate through again until you get back to the 3 chicane. You can go through 1 and 2 without braking, I roll off for 2 but I don't believe I need to so I'll be working on that next time I'm there, my general corner speed can be improved as I'm somewhere between 6-8s off the 300 record
in no way am I blaming the bike or equipment, just me. in theory, I should be gobbling up the 600s, 750s, and 1000+s in just about the entire track except for the 11b-1a front stretch. I am simply not experienced enough and not willing to ride at the level required to do that yet

Quote:
yeah, I remember my 4 wheels days. I miss it at times but it was hella expensive
you ain't kidding. wallet = ouch. I do love the protection you are afforded, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Hi Chris, I am Chris too. I figger it should be pretty easy to remember each others names.

I am afraid I don't get up to NJ very often, say... 2 times in my life, both for work reasons. Seems I am open to making trips that far north though. Did a trip to CT last year for good fun with a few ninjette members. Had a blast! Doing it again in about 30 days, Aug. 10/11 at Palmer in MA. Your welcome to join if the spots are available with TTD.

No worries on the old and slow thing, I am slower than honey bee farts on a cold winter's day.
Let me know if you're planning anything halfway like the PA area. Generally the four of us take 2 trucks 2 trailers with 4 bikes and spares and ride one up, can't miss all bright red. I'd love to do a lead/follow on the 250R and let you show me how to actually ride this thing. At my age I'm simply not willing to ride 9.5/10 like some of these guys because I have work the next day, 6/10 is plenty of fun. But the more tips and small stuff I pick up from fast guys I realize going fast is easy, just be smooth.

Old July 9th, 2015, 08:27 AM   #608
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Let me know if you're planning anything halfway like the PA area. Generally the four of us take 2 trucks 2 trailers with 4 bikes and spares and ride one up, can't miss all bright red. I'd love to do a lead/follow on the 250R and let you show me how to actually ride this thing. At my age I'm simply not willing to ride 9.5/10 like some of these guys because I have work the next day, 6/10 is plenty of fun. But the more tips and small stuff I pick up from fast guys I realize going fast is easy, just be smooth.
I should be floating around PitRace sometime early next season. This season is already all planned and paid for. If I win the lotto or something maybe another trip can find it's way on the schedule. In case you don't know, I am a coach at Mid-Ohio and it aint really too far from pit. I will be there coaching every date on their calendar if your interested.

Reference threads on Mid-O
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=427977
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117290
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168062
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215548

Wow... time flies. Didn't realize I have been doing these Mid-O trips for 4yrs now.

Old July 15th, 2015, 09:37 AM   #609
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Finally downloaded the times from my lap timer while coaching. WOW!... My normal track day lap time is 1:40ish give or take. This was a first time track rider's lap time.

Where they started the day.

After some time.... and coaching with ALOT of patience .

Thing is, we both had the biggest smiles on our faces when we get back to the paddock. The rider was super excited about what they just had accomplished. Hard evidence that riders do get better in short periods of time with the right attitude and direction.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 16th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #610
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Finally downloaded the times from my lap timer while coaching. WOW!... My normal track day lap time is 1:40ish give or take. This was a first time track rider's lap time.

Where they started the day.

After some time.... and coaching with ALOT of patience .

Thing is, we both had the biggest smiles on our faces when we get back to the paddock. The rider was super excited about what they just had accomplished. Hard evidence that riders do get better in short periods of time with the right attitude and direction.
I can definitely attest to that. My first track day, on a track that mind you I practically live at with my 98 Cobra racecar, I went from 250 miles-ish total motorcycle experience and almost pissing myself in the 50mph sighting session to the slowest lap time of the track ever (or so I thought) to be ten seconds faster, faster than 5 people overall (all on 750s or 1000s), but had a great day, learned a lot, and did not put the bike down despite at least one target fixation close call per 5 sessions. Great experience. Took a lot of smooth/safety things away I use on the street. I will be interested to see myself back at the same track next year (hopefully sans target fixation) to see how I do once I have more experience. I know the bike has about ten steps more in it (even as a 250) than I have in me right now, but I had fun, didn't get hurt, and when people rode beyond my limit I was mature enough to just say screw it and sit out a session (didn't know why my competitive personality I could do that.

Old July 16th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #611
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
14 second gap in one day nice

how does that lap timer work? that kind needs to be linked up to a device like a transponder to record times accurately right?

Old July 16th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #612
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
14 second gap in one day nice

how does that lap timer work? that kind needs to be linked up to a device like a transponder to record times accurately right?
Yep, 5-10+ sec drops per lap are kinda common in Novice, I bet you did it too. Normally by the end of the day, when they are kinda tired and finally relax on the bike and just ride. The drills slow riders down some yes, but that is the point. If it were not for the drills, they may not drop so much time later in the day or.... they would and crash out trying.

A lap timer requires a beacon, it's very similar to a transponder as it requires a beacon to also work. A transponder is instant down to the thousandth of a second or better depending on hardware, where as a lap timer is a bit less accurate and takes a moment or two to register a lap. There are many kinds of lap timers, some use gps and does not use/need a beacon. You can get pretty good lap times with an old smartphone and racechrono, Harry's lap timer or pirelli superbike app without much fuss.

Old July 16th, 2015, 07:59 PM   #613
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I'd imagine doing those drills over and over again would help you continue to improve your fundamentals as well while coaching

I remember those drills, I wish I could do a no-braking drill at every track in the morning but unfortunately pace demands make that a bit unsafe if I don't do it in the first session or ride in novice and I tend to skip the first session from time to time if the track doesn't feel just right (especially at shenny, that track has no love in the morning)

I'd use my phone for it but I have an issue with hitting my data limits as it is and would rather not overuse my plan

I think I'll get one of the gps ones that doesn't need a transponder next season
...list of stuff I'm getting for next season is starting to get silly long (but it's still possible since it's really a re-appropriation of the same budget I had this year to be more efficient)

Old July 17th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #614
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Yea Ben!

By far.... my favorite drill is the no brakes drill. It is soooooo much a challenge to get to knee draggin' pace while NOT losing my group and not touch the brakes for the entire session.

I actually take my hand off of the throttle on corner entry to prove to my group that I am not using the brake lever. After a few laps, I take my hand off + do the chicken dance to show my group I am comfortable and loose while getting to my entry speed.

Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:04 PM   #615
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

2 more days of coaching over the weekend. What a great time helping others. Shared my garage with 3 other friends as well. What great diversity at the track too. 4 riders from eastern Europe and 2 or 3 riders from India and at least 2 riders from Italy (ducati riders of course ). Was very cool to meet new people.

Pics courtesy of Jade who was rolling around the track taking photos and helping other people. She is such a trouper, I have had riders I have never meet come up to me and say "thank you". I asked "for what?" They tell me my daughter had helped them in some way, putting bike on stands, taking a tire warmer off, ect.. ect..

Finally, it always feels good to leave behind some rubber, gas fumes and a second or two off the lap time at the track when you leave.

Old July 22nd, 2015, 02:09 PM   #616
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

More pics from the brother of the rider assigned to my group for the day. Jade takes pretty good photos for being just 11yrs old. But this guy is more of a pro. He focused on his brother but caught a few others as well. He hasn't uploaded them all at this time.

Here are some of his pics of his brother's progress.

From earlier in the day

Let's ride a little less crossed up and something cool will happen for you!

Knee draggin' near the end your first track day. Priceless (still a bit crossed up, but we will let it go to celebrate the progress )

Shameless pics of me

Old August 13th, 2015, 11:02 AM   #617
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Ya'lls didn't think this was over did ya's??!?!?!?!?!?

This was my big trip to MA from KY for the year, starting around post #200 or so. Good stuff!

Manditory pose!

Many cool people meet, hands shaken and new friends made in the pits next to us. Even took a walk to see old friends and made a few more along the way. lol

Old August 17th, 2015, 11:51 PM   #618
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Ugggg.... nearly 3am in the paddock and I cant sleep. Got the 250 in the trailer with me and every time I dose off, the tank whistles. Lol....

Old August 18th, 2015, 03:54 AM   #619
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
She wants to cuddle.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #620
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Streaks are over...

One of my first timers crashed, young lady on a 250. Streak over at 87 riders. She was ok, no injuries and left with a smile anyway.

I crashed too, turn 7 @Mid-Ohio, contour broken... lost all vids. Streak over at 124 days at the track without a crash.

Bum arm and bruised ribs. Should be good to ride again in a couple of weeks.

Old August 19th, 2015, 09:06 PM   #621
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14

it's part of the experience but never good to hear of, especially when you broke two streaks at once

glad you're alright though, the ribs will probably bother you for a while. I still feel my cracked ribs from april when I exert myself

Old August 19th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #622
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Streaks are over...

One of my first timers crashed, young lady on a 250. Streak over at 87 riders. She was ok, no injuries and left with a smile anyway.

I crashed too, turn 7 @Mid-Ohio, contour broken... lost all vids. Streak over at 124 days at the track without a crash.

Bum arm and bruised ribs. Should be good to ride again in a couple of weeks.
That really blows bro... But at least it wasn't TOO bad... Wishing hou a quick recovery and an even longer streak after this... Good Luck!!!

Old August 20th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #623
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Thanks gents, wait until you hear the whole story...

/snip
me: wtf!!!!! NOOOOO....
me: brake, lock up... damn... turn and push!!!!
me: scraaaaaappppppeeee..........
me: opens eyes, sees tarmac and hears other rider standing beside me saying "sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, are you ok?!?!?!"
me: "GET THE HELL OFF THE TRACK NOW!!!!"
other rider: runs to grass
me: gets up on hands and knees and hears a bike coming (prays...)
me: hears bike go by on my left, no clue how close it was
me: crawls to grass and stays down, looks at other rider as he gives thumbs up to corner worker

Ugggg.....

Old August 20th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #624
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
T7 at mid-ohio is not somewhere where I would want to be laying on the track with bikes going past

glad your good

Old August 20th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #625
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
T7 at mid-ohio is not somewhere where I would want to be laying on the track with bikes going past

glad your good
That aint no doubt, bikes can blast past you at 90+ there. Thank goodness that it was novice but still... I aint wanting to get hit at even 10mph.

In a sling, I went to find the rider that I was tailing. I told him, "It's all good, go home with a smile about the progress you have made in the past 2 day. I am more than happy to be have part of it."

I hope he isn't feeling like he was a fault, because that would be a super bummer for me.

Old August 20th, 2015, 05:58 PM   #626
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I really miss the track

Old August 22nd, 2015, 02:38 PM   #627
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Just a note to say thanks to the Mid-Ohio School and all the supporting staff!

Performance Track Riding in the Novice group was safe and a lot of fun!

If you can, please pass on special thanks to Coach ‘Chris’ who kept me safe and gave me a lot of top tier instruction I will build upon!

I hope to return as soon as I can.

Regards,
Mark

Old August 24th, 2015, 11:21 AM   #628
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Hey ya'lls, when you review you track time... don't forget your support system peeps. They did it for YOU, thank them for that because when you need it, it was always there. Do it face to face and with a handshake or hug, don't be shy about it either.

Old September 5th, 2015, 10:02 PM   #629
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

@snot, you would like this.

I took the family... even Jade, to see 5FDP. I felt this thread would not be whole until I seen them play this song in person.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 6th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #630
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
^ jealous

Old September 6th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #631
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
dude, nice!

Old September 17th, 2015, 12:59 PM   #632
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Next round...

Heading back to Mid-Ohio for some fun. A twilight (I/A riders) followed by 2 more days of normal track days. I am still injured (shoulder), but good to go. I am taking the still cam and video cam and contours for pics and full vid for this trip.

Gunna be fun because a number of locals are ending the season with this trip. Although, I do no plan on ending the season with these dates, I have still have 2 more mid-o dates + 2 more at Putnam.

Old September 24th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #633
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Sorry I have been a slacker as of late. Work sucks, I can't seem to stop breaking things and the honey do list is long with winter on the way.

I have a lot of pics and such to share. Stories to tell but here is the quick update.

Have meet and helped well over 100 new track riders, +family, +friends, +people working behind the scenes
Still riding with various injuries to shoulder, hand, ribs and feet
Still helping riders of all levels on the track as well as in the paddock
Still pulling 2 and 3 day back to back track days as a coach at all levels
2 of my new track riders have crash resetting the clock again One of those riders left in the ambulance with a broken back
I have coached exactly 0 BRC courses this year

Pics will come when I get some time to sort it all out.

Old September 24th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #634
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
@csmith12
Do you know who Todd is at mid Ohio? the EMT/CR...

Old September 24th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #635
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
@csmith12
Do you know who Todd is at mid Ohio? the EMT/CR...
Yes mam, I had the most unfortunate chance to meet him as a patient just over a month ago.

Nice fellow, He was a busy guy Mon. & Tues.

Old September 25th, 2015, 02:21 AM   #636
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Yes mam, I had the most unfortunate chance to meet him as a patient just over a month ago.

Nice fellow, He was a busy guy Mon. & Tues.
He is a friend, he has given me some tips in the past too.

Old September 25th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #637
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Maria @Mid-Ohio

I had the pleasure of meeting and helping a young lady by the name of Maria for her first track day.

Overview:
She rode her bike to the track day near 2h trip each way
She arrived solo, no friends
She arrived with minimal tools and bike prep
She had little knowledge of how a track day progresses from start to finish

Here are the highlights of her story;

Arrived on time and registered in the N group
I was standing in registration (getting coffee) while she asked questions about tech and such and offered to help her
Her bike was street ready in the paddock
We started to prep her bike and others jumped in to help without even being asked
4 riders total were helping to prep the bike
She passed tech with flying colors (I teched her bike)
She was assigned to my coaching group in the N group
She missed her first session because her gear didn't pass tech
She got on track the second session no problems and rode clean sessions all day
Throughout the day, I ensured she wasn't feeling alone and included in the days events
At the end of the day she left very happy and made amazing progress

Special note: She kept apologizing for being slower than other riders. Each time she did that, I promptly said "Stop apologizing for having fun!" and she finally did.

At the end of the day, she had to ride home. We told her she may be more tired than she currently feels and take breaks often. Part of her trip home was also the same as my route, I offered to watch out for her as I drove home. She must have made it just fine as I didn't see her anywhere.

Happy riders makes me smile.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 5th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #638
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Teaser for now..

I just got back from Putnam yesterday and heading to Mid-O in 2 hours. lol I will post an update when I get on Thurs. when I get back.

Last track days of the season.

Old October 7th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #639
Vladius
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 SE ABS

Quote:
Teaser for now..

I just got back from Putnam yesterday and heading to Mid-O in 2 hours. lol I will post an update when I get on Thurs. when I get back.

Last track days of the season.
Looking forward to it man, too bad I couldn't make it.
Vladius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #640
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I am so slacking on updating this thread but don't think for one minute I have been slacking on the goal.

So...

Some dude drives down my dead end lane and stops just after my garage. Only for a few seconds, he opens his door for a bit and then drives away. I am looking out my window like WTF!?!?!?!?!?

Turns out the driver drops off a cat. Like I need another, but you know me. I go out and catch the cat and welcome it to my home. After some hours it's less scared and content in it's new home and sleeping on my lawn chair mats. Pics upon request tomorrow after she wakes up.

Next week is a visit to the vet to get fixed and a checkup.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.