ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 7th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #1
noob1220
ninjette.org member

Name: Valerie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE White

Ladies - where did you get your boots?

Where can I find a good pair of women's boots that are less than $150 and don't look ridiculous? Every pair I've come across, I hate. I don't want anything fancy. Just plain black. I need to find something before my class starts in three weeks. The only other shoe I have that covers the ankle are my faux-Ugg snow boots and that's not going to cut it. Suggestions? Thanks!!
noob1220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #2
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

My wife has a pair of Tour Master Solution boots. They're as plain as you get and get the job done. She says they're pretty toasty in the summer though.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #3
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

If you're looking for something inexpensive to get you through the MSF class, standard issue combat boots work pretty well. Obviously there's no armor, so I wouldn't recommend them for spirited street riding, but they're readily available and cover the ankle.

Old June 7th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #4
noob1220
ninjette.org member

Well, as much as I wish I could ride to work every day (an hour long commute) I probably won't get to ride as much as I want. My husband and I share the bike so he'll have it more than I will since I get the task of shuffling the kids back and forth to school. I would like to have good quality riding boots though, just to make myself feel better. Especially considering if I DO get to ride to work, my commute consists of 50 miles worth of 3 major interstates populated with horrific out of state drivers.

Old June 7th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #5
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I have the Sidi Lei's, bought them from www.motorcyclegear.com, $300, pricey but worth the money. My first pair of boots are Nitro Venus that I have worn for 4 years, but it was finally time to get a good boot that covered the ankle so that I could ride at the track.

Alpinestar's makes Stella boots, $219.95, at www.sportbiketrackgear.com, or more here: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...ear%3AFootwear

A lot of times people settle for cheap gear, but I always have to remind myself what is my protection worth? Especially if being well protected means I get to come home to my beautiful kids after each ride.
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #6
bonbon76
ninjette.org member

Name: Bonnie

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

I just got the Alpinestar Stella ones... Love them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_Alpinestars_Womens_Stella_S-MX_5_Boots[1].jpg (5.5 KB, 191 views)

Old June 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #7
ladyrocket
ladyrocket

Name: Megan

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

these boots are pricey, but I got them for $130 including shipping. Here is the direct link but obviously search for a better price. These boots arent too bad looking and they feel great.

http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbi...p.html?cat=125

Old June 7th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #8
noob1220
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrocket View Post
these boots are pricey, but I got them for $130 including shipping. Here is the direct link but obviously search for a better price. These boots arent too bad looking and they feel great.

http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbi...p.html?cat=125
I really like the look of those. Are they comfortable? True to size? I may have to search for them.

Old June 7th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #9
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I heard nothing but good reviews on the stella.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #10
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rceezy View Post
Alpinestar's makes Stella boots, $219.95, at www.sportbiketrackgear.com, or more here: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...ear%3AFootwear

I bought the solid black pair of these and they are WELL WORTH IT! I wear them often, and they are quite comfortable for long breaks off the bike as well!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #11
kkim

sorry for the OT question, but what construction/design differences do they manufacture into "womens" boots? Have any of you tried on mens boots to see how they fit?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #12
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Well, you see kkim, the boy boots have that extra little part dangling . . .

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #13
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

These boots don't go as high as the others posted, but these are the boots I wear. They're Puma V2 Flat boots.

Old June 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #14
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Name: LMG

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja EX250J

i love shoes.

try out tcx, they're a good boot for the money. newenough, i mean motorcyclegear had them a few months back for like $130 on sale. as far as fit...they start out stiff, really tight around the calf and narrow in the foot.

bmw makes an all around boot (rebranded oxtar...i think they're tcx now) thats durable. these are also tight in the calf and have a bit of an instep.

alpine stella torre is a nice alternative but has no real armor other than really soft and comfortable leather. a bit out of your price range.

my everyday boot is by dainese. i think cyclegear had them on sale for like 149-169ish a couple months back. they're called the lady gore tex...a bit too warm for today's weather but perfect for fall/spring. i actually need to find a more breathable option because it's way too humid outside for these boots. i also have a pair for the dainese st. grace boots which are my second favorite. dainese boots fit me well, i wear a size 37 which is between a size 6.5-7.

i've tried on the racing boots by sidi (as posted above) and alpinestars. i liked the alpinestars, they we're extremely light for the amount of armor, but they we're a bit too flashy for my style. i like to keep it low key.

make sure you tuck in your pant leg into the boot and walk around in them. you will need that extra space around your calf for knee armor. for the msf class i also suggest you get a pair of high top hiking boots (you'll need them in the winter/rainy season anyhow) with a non slip sole. for the long term i agree that you should have something more substantial.
petiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #15
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
sorry for the OT question, but what construction/design differences do they manufacture into "womens" boots? Have any of you tried on mens boots to see how they fit?
As far as I know, the only difference is the numbers they use in regards to sizing, the pink lace and frills they seem to like to cover women's stuff in, and the extremely limited selection.

Due to an overwhelming aversion to said frilliness and a love of choices, I've always worn men's shoes. I have 3 different pairs of men's motorcycle boots that fit me perfectly, so I'm calling BS on the whole concept. Fit's foot specific, not gender specific.

Anyways, if you want something moderately inexpensive (Retail at $130, might be able to find them cheaper somewhere), great for commuting, comfortable to walk in, discreet, AND crashworthy (Ask me how I know ), I'm extremely fond of these:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

On a side note, while I love my sidi's unconditionally on the track, commuting and walking around in a race boot blows.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #16
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Green/Black/White Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon76 View Post
I just got the Alpinestar Stella ones... Love them
Have these in black and I love them too. They were a little pricey, but I'm glad I went for them because they feel really safe, but I can feel the brake and shifter through them just fine. And I think they look pretty cool too.
Little_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #17
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Answering seriously now, there are significant differences between mens and womens feet. The military commissioned a study by Penn State University, published in the American College of Sports Medicine Journal, and this is what it found: Women have thicker ankles and calves, higher arches and narrower heels. A woman with the standard foot size common to men and women would have about three quarters of an inch greater calf circumference, and that would be about a quarter of an inch higher. Also, women's ankles are about one-quarter inch closer to the ground, and men's big toes are a little thicker.

Such differences in anatomy could throw off the fit even in a shoe that is the right size based on length, but a woman might not realize what the problem was. "It's a sore point because, as a practitioner, such a large proportion of problems we see are clearly related to improper shoe wear," said Dr. Gail P. Dalton, Chair of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society. Matching the shape of the shoe to the shape of the foot would cut the number of injuries, she said. Many shoe manufacturers, particularly athletic shoe companies like Nike and Adidas, research these differences in detail and build it into their shoes. The military does as well. Whether the motorcycle boot companies do or not, or whether the differences are only in styling and size range, I can't say for sure. I suspect and hope that the high end manufacturers would consider the anatomy when desiging their boots, and it isn't all about pink flowers.

Best advice is to try boots on, ask about whether the boots have been designed for specific anatomical difference, be mindful of the issues with narrower heel and toe, lower ankle, higher arch and thicker calves and go with what is most comfortable.

Edit: Just checked. Alpinestars claims that it tailors its Stella line particulary for difference in the anatomy of a woman's foot, and notes wider calf and increased heel height (to raise ankles) as examples. Same with the Sidi Vertigo Lei for women - they say the whole boot based on women's foot molds and designed specifically for differences in anatomy discussed above. Seems like one of these may be the way to go.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Link to original page on YouTube.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #18
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Maybe if you were running marathons in motorcycle boots that might matter, but I can't see limiting your choices as a whole based on minor differences being worth it.

I see it this way- In men's, Sidi offers multiple versions (Peforated, rain resistant, ect) of the Vertigo, the RT, and the Vortice. In women's, Sidi offers one version of the Vertigo Lei. You don't get options, you don't get features, AND it's covered in pink or red swirls. When I was shopping for boots, I tried both the vertigo and the vertigo lei, and after trying on both, the men's version was not only more comfortable for me personally, but allowed me a fully perforated version that's invaluable in the hot california deserts.

Having crashed, hiked, and danced on the pegs in men's motorcycle boots without any pain or discomfort, I just don't think a woman should limit herself to the pathetic selection and designs of "women specific" boots, especially when different brands and models fit so wildly differently even when they have the same target market (Alpinestars and Sidi fit NOTHING alike, for the record). To some people, those woman specific differences might make all the difference, but just like a helmet, you try it all on until you find the one that actually works for you, regardless of what people tell you is supposed to work for you.

On a side note, my little sister has wide, flat feet and always complained about how uncomfortable women's shoes were for her and how impossible it was to find heels that fit right. She ended up getting custom inserts and professional help with shoe selection when she started running, because she was having trouble finding the right off the shelf stuff. That explains why. Interesting stuff.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #19
kkim

Thank you Floyd and Tiffani for your feedback. Much appreciated. Sounds like it boils down to having to try it on to see if it fits, sort of deal, which is what I've found when purchasing most pieces of gear... not only boots.

For the OP, based on what was discussed, don't discount boots that are made/marketed for men during your search, either. Seems like depending on your leg/foot shape, some/most would work without problems. It sure would broaden your options a great deal, too.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #20
money
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJ View Post
My wife has a pair of Tour Master Solution boots. They're as plain as you get and get the job done. She says they're pretty toasty in the summer though.
I wear those and I have been very happy with them. They're not as hot as I expected them to be, either.

Old June 8th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #21
Jules91
NinJulie

Name: Julie

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I have the Shift Racing Curve Street shoes and love them. They're like a mix between a sneaker and a boot. I like the protection they offer - they're leather and have reinforced toes and solid "ankle protection" which actually only covers about half of your ankle, but is still way better than sneakers. I also like the fact that they're low profile. My jeans cover the tops and I don't look ridiculous when I get off my bike because they look like regular shoes. They're also very comfortable after you've been wearing them for a few days to break them in and I'd say they're true to size.
While they're not going to give you the protection of a full length boot, they're way better than sneakers and I feel a lot safer wearing them, not to mention they're only about $80 and come in black or white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 320x320-FULL.jpg (50.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 57153-001--2T.jpg (15.6 KB, 129 views)
Jules91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #22
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Thank you Floyd and Tiffani for your feedback. Much appreciated. Sounds like it boils down to having to try it on to see if it fits, sort of deal, which is what I've found when purchasing most pieces of gear... not only boots.

For the OP, based on what was discussed, don't discount boots that are made/marketed for men during your search, either. Seems like depending on your leg/foot shape, some/most would work without problems. It sure would broaden your options a great deal, too.
Happy to help. Even happier to have had the following conversation this morning -

My wife: What are you doing?
Me: Discussing women's feet on the internet.
My wife: Ummmm. WHAT?
Me: No, its for the ninjette forum.
My wife: That is the forum you say isn't a women's forum that you aren't on just to talk to women, despite its feminine name, right.
Me: Yeah.
My wife: Yeah.

Old June 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #23
Lockshi3
ninjette.org member

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawi Green Ninja 250

I have a pair of Dainese torque out boots. Theyre awesome. Stiff, yet not bad to walk in. I got them on sale for 250, I think originally 300. Well worth the investment.
Lockshi3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #24
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

I have the Rev'it air blend boots...very comfortable...went down in 'em and was fine....They are summer boots, and air definitely flows through well
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #25
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Happy to help. Even happier to have had the following conversation this morning -

My wife: What are you doing?
Me: Discussing women's feet on the internet.
My wife: Ummmm. WHAT?
Me: No, its for the ninjette forum.
My wife: That is the forum you say isn't a women's forum that you aren't on just to talk to women, despite its feminine name, right.
Me: Yeah.
My wife: Yeah.
lmao
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #26
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I must have missed that the first time around.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote