ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old November 17th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #1
virgilsc
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Virgil

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Has your confidence in your riding skills ever turned you nutter on your bike?

I am going to stop running red and orange lights!

Old November 18th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #2
kkim

sigh... isn't this what kawiforums is for?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #3
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

No red lights, but when in a hurry I have passed through yellows. But I've never done this is there was a cager waiting to turn left across my lane. I've seen several dozen wrecks happen in precisely that manner: turner thinks the strait-througher is going to stop at the yellow, and the straiter thinks the turner is going to wait--Bam!

But I will admit I am far more aggressive and fearless on my bike than in any car. I was always the guy during cruise meets who would stop and yellows and get lost...

Old November 18th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #4
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
+1

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #5
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
My 250 is faster than your 250..

Lol You shoul ride safe, and there are places you can go to have fun..tracks..
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #6
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
But I will admit I am far more aggressive and fearless on my bike than in any car.
I'm the opposite. I wouldn't say I'm overly cautious (I'm not trembling in my boots or anything) but the stakes are so much higher on a motorcycle that I can't help but be more careful and calculating on the bike. I think my years of riding has made me a better car driver too...well, at least I look out for pedestrians/bicyclists/motorcycles (i.e. "things smaller than me") more than other car drivers seem to.

I guess the point for me is that it isn't that my confidence in my riding skills makes me more aggressive -- it's that my LACK of confidence in OTHERS' driving skills makes me more careful.

Old November 18th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #7
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I only run the red/orange intersections when I'm doin' a wheelie.

Old November 18th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

no way...no matter how high my confidence level gets, I will ride super cautiously.

The last time I ran a yellow I saw my life flash before my eyes.

Old November 18th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I don't even understand the OP/topic. "Turned you nutter?" Does that mean "turned you into a nut?" Even then, a crazed unsafe nut or a overly-cautious nut or just a confident normal nut? When he says he's going to stop running red and orange lights, is that because he was "turned nutter," which makes him overly confident and he runs them, and now he recognizes the need to stop?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #10
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

i think he maybe meant nuttier...like since he's confident he isn't as cautious at times.

Old November 18th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #11
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

I don't understand how he runs red lights and it shows he does'nt own a bike. BTW, Welcome to the site. I just saw it's his/hers 1st post!

Old November 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #12
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Bluepoof, I meant to say fearless as in for legal repercussions, not as in doing generally stupid things haha.
Posted via Mobile Device
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:40 PM   #13
SVBS
ninjette.org member

Name: KT

Motorcycle(s): 1 of them Big Four

yep, I actually start going faster than I use to, I actually go +6 over posted limit as opposed to +5 in the past,
SVBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:14 PM   #14
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVBS View Post
yep, I actually start going faster than I use to, I actually go +6 over posted limit as opposed to +5 in the past,

It starts to get dangerous when you play X2. That is twice the speed limit sign going into the turn.

I had to sell my Aprilia SR 50 Scooter. I became a TOTAL hooligan on the thing . Wheelies in traffic and stupid stuff I would never do on a motorcycle.

Hopefully you get a wake up call that just leaves you shaking and not dead.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:02 PM   #15
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I don't even understand the OP/topic. "Turned you nutter?" Does that mean "turned you into a nut?" Even then, a crazed unsafe nut or a overly-cautious nut or just a confident normal nut? When he says he's going to stop running red and orange lights, is that because he was "turned nutter," which makes him overly confident and he runs them, and now he recognizes the need to stop?
It is a confusing post and I'm not entirely sure what he meant by it either. I have talked to some riders who have said that improved riding skills caused them to ride more aggressively on the street because they felt more confident in their riding ability and therefore more willing to push the envelope. I've also had people say the opposite though, that improved riding skills made them more cautious and careful on the street because they were more aware of the risks and dangers.

For some people, confidence in their ability makes them ride faster and perhaps nuttier while for others it makes them ride safer.

Has anyone come back from a riding school or track day with improved skills and felt like they began to ride "nuttier" on the street or did it calm you down on the road?

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:33 PM   #16
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Good question.

In my case, I have gotten a bit more aggressive as I've improved. Chalk it up to confidence, however I still ride way within the limits of the bike and weather conditions.

I absolutely go ATGATT without fail. (pay no attention to that guy in the picture over there.)

Problem is whenever i have to go on the highway. It's a balls to the wall full throttle affair. Not that I consider myself skilled on the contrary I still feel noobish as can be. It's the insane traffic in South Florida. EVERYONE speeds 70+ and nobody pays attention. So I try to stay a little ahead by going 80+, which is almost top speed, in a tuck.

I avoid it as much as possible.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:23 PM   #17
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

As a fairly new rider I can say that as I've gotten more comfortable on the bike I've raised my speeds up a bit and am less apprehensive about dealing with every situation that comes up. I'm more confident. I'm also about 10x more cautious on the bike than I am in a car. I didn't start riding until age 39, and as such I am under no illusion that I am immortal or unbreakable.
I've not taken my Ninja to the track yet but I do drive cars on the track and used to race competitively. It made me drive a lot LESS aggressively on the street. I simply no longer needed to get my yayas out on the street. Anything you can do on the street is nothing compared to the thrill of driving balls-out (sorry ladies) on the track, so I don't take risks.

Old November 27th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #18
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
no way...no matter how high my confidence level gets, I will ride super cautiously.

The last time I ran a yellow I saw my life flash before my eyes.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:25 PM   #19
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

I found that once I started improving my skills and riding on the track I slowed my riding down considerably on the street. I rode better and safer as my skills were much improved but I became much more aware of all the dangers of the road (as compared to the track) and decided that I didn't want to push the envelope so much.

Overall I was a much better and safer rider, much faster on the track but slower and more cautious on the street.

misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:50 PM   #20
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I thought maybe it was a foreign language term.
Posted via Mobile Device
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #21
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
Good question.

In my case, I have gotten a bit more aggressive as I've improved. Chalk it up to confidence, however I still ride way within the limits of the bike and weather conditions.

I absolutely go ATGATT without fail. (pay no attention to that guy in the picture over there.)

Problem is whenever i have to go on the highway. It's a balls to the wall full throttle affair. Not that I consider myself skilled on the contrary I still feel noobish as can be. It's the insane traffic in South Florida. EVERYONE speeds 70+ and nobody pays attention. So I try to stay a little ahead by going 80+, which is almost top speed, in a tuck.

I avoid it as much as possible.
My wife hates me on the I, in miami i would listen as you could decorate and even furnish your pad with what's in the road sometimes. How about riding behind a tractor trailer in a cage on the left and seeing the tornado of litter/stones /garbage coming at you. where do you go flat out down there, alligator alley? In palm beach there's less traffic so at 80 you've got a cling-on with their horn blowing making gestures. your right about how unbelievable so. fl. is. Stay safe dude.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #22
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
It is an interesting question. As one gains confidence, it is natural to increase speed a bit, especially in the corners and still be within personal and bike limits. You learn to lean better, look through the corner better, countersteer properly, brake before the turn to avoid stealing traction, roll on the throttle to balance the suspension, etc. You may also learn that the ninjette has some pretty good cornering ability, and start to ride corners harder as you improve and learn more about technique and the bike itself.

The issue is, when do you know you've got to call it enough? Naturally, you will speed up a bit as you improve, but how does one learn the real limits of what can be done safely? Slowly, mph by mph, learning you can handle more . . . until you can't. I suspect the cause of many accidents by skilled riders is this incrimental push of limits until they are broken. In my view, this is the real benefit of track time, as it allows you to more safely push the bike to its limits, particularly if done with an instructors help, and know to ride beneath those limits on the street.

Another aspect of this is complacency over time. As one has ridden a road many times before, or put in many many miles, it could be easy to lower the guard and not pay as close attention. There has never been road debris here before, no car has ever pulled out from there before, etc. This is overconfidence, too, just a different manifestation of it as you ride, perhaps fairly slowly, but beyond your sight lines or your stopping distance if something unexpected happens. You can be going slowly and still be overconfident, riding like a nutter.

A "nutter" is British slang. Offensive term for the mentally ill, the generally harmless type of mentally ill person who does foolish things, adopted generally to persons who have done or are planning to do something exceptionally silly.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; January 20th, 2011 at 08:53 AM.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #23
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

as my skills improve i remind myself while riding to stay cautious.