ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 29th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Difficult Decision

Today I had my six month test at the VA to see if my cancer is still in remission. The test went well and I am now oficially cancer free for six years--chance of recurrance--less than 1%. As you can all imagine, I was as happy as a pig in s--- and just for grins and giggles swung into the H-D Honda Dealer on the way home for a cup of their good coffee (Harley- Davidson Coffee) It is really good. They just so happened to have a new Honda NT-700 in the showroom. I sat on it and it felt great. It is just a hair taller than the Ninja but I can have both feet down. The Sales Manager asked me if I wanted to try the bike out--He knows I ride a Ninja and the Ninja was out in the parking lot.He had also done a credit check, etc. two years ago when I was looking at the Buell Blast. The Ninjette won. I could not refuse. First, This bike live looks a lot better than the pictures in the magazines. It is a really nice looking bike with an exceptionally fine paint job and a lot of attention to detail. The controls are similar to the Ninja. Second, The road test for a half hour was a revelation, The bike was smooth as silk. There was virtually no backlash in the drivetrain. Acelleration was smooth and there was plenty of torque to pull hills (We have lots in Maine) Wind was not an issue with the adjustable windshield. Mirrors were exceptional. The ride was very smooth and the bike did not react to road contours and tar snakes like the Ninja. The comfort factor was overwhelming. In the twisties a Ninja would dominate because of its flickability and cornering due to its short wheelbase and fork geometry. For a touring bike (and this is not considered a Sport Touring bike) the ability to handle twisteys was impressive. Dragging a knee could be done, but that feat would be accompanied by a trail of sparks due to undercarriage dragging. The bike's handling is impressive. It is a bike that would more suit my requirements--my actual use, than the Ninjette. It also costs more than twice as much as the Ninjette. It is an impressive machine. The 700cc V Twin has been around a long time. The bike has been popular in Europe for years and it is superbly finished in all details. The problem is that I could buy the bike tomorrow. The dealer is willing to give me $2600 trade and the NT would cost me $8000. I could probably negotiate the price down to $7000 plus the Ninja. I have to say that I am really tempted. 1200mi round trips on a regular basis are a lot of wear and tear on the bod. This bike would certainly make it easier. The big problem is that I can afford to buy it---No way that I can have both due to space. Guess that I will be agonizing over that one for a few days.

Old October 29th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #2
kkim

I say go for it, ya noob!

congrats on being cancer free... you only live once, make it a good one.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #3
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Congrats on your remission. Good news for sure. Regarding the nt700 - did it put a grin on your face and a warm fuzzy inside? If so, don't look back. Get the honda and ride it like you stole it.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Great to hear about you being cancer free. Id say go for the Honda if it makes you happy, I understand completely about the comfort factor (and that torque is more fun in my opinion at lower speeds than having a bike that makes its power up in the high rpm's, great for track but kind of boring when your just putting around.)

Old October 29th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I say go for it, ya, noob!

congrats on being cancer free... you only live once, make it a good one.
I guess I am a noob to Sportbikes--a lot different than the Cafe Racers we had in the 60's and 70's. I am really not sure that I want to get out of sportbikes after only two years. The Ninja is a lot of fun and for the most part gets ridden a 100 or 200mi stretches at a time. The 1200mi round trip is about four times a year. Medical stuff--Dr. and Dentist are 100mi round trip. Bottom Line: I don't NEED a touring bike unless I planned on touring--like doing a trans US. Realistically, I don't ride the Ninja at its potential--although I am rarely below 7000RPM. On the longer trips, I do get beat up a bit especially if the weather gets bad. The NT would certainly be more comfortable, but do I need an "old man bike" when I am having so much fun with this one--and it's paid for. I could get rid of that huge Chevy Suburban with the gigunda deisel, wait about a year and find a good used NT, and have both, because I would have room in the garage. I could get a Focus or a Mini as a second car to our Matrix, and I would have lots of room. Wife who is afraid of bikes would not be happy. She still can't understand why I have six bicycles.

Old October 29th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #6
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Congrats on your health Alex. Guy I ride with has a Yam motard type 250 and just added the NT to his collection. He likes it alot. Haven't ridden with him when he rides the NT though.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Your cancer remission is fantastic news. I am really happy for you!
If you really like the Honda, go for it. Like Kelly said, we only live once, let's make it a good one
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #8
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Congratz! Like everybody else... I say do it. My motto, whatever makes me/you happy is right. Besides, it's not a permanent decision. Who knows, maybe you'll end up with both by the end of the year.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #9
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Oh thank God....when I read the thread title and saw something about a cancer test in your first sentence, I almost dropped my drink (which is hot, by the way ).

I'm very glad to hear about your good health!

Now with regards to your dilemma; flip a coin. You could always get another ninjette later on.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #10
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Alex.. congrats on the medical news! I so happy for you. As for the bike..... you'll obsess about it until you make up your mind. I say, if you like it, it felt good, and will be far more comfortable on longer hauls... do it, do it, do it U can always trade back in and get a decent return for a new Ninjette if you want later. Enjoy your life man....! Go back again and take it for another spin.... feel it, look at it, will it suit you, 2nd sober thought .... then decide yes/no.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #11
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Congrats on being cancer free! To fit your needs I'd probably go ahead and trade. I've been thinking to myself for awhile that I might want to look at something like a sport touring bike since I commute for long distances and I have back and neck issues (so carrying heavy backpacks is sometimes very aggravating for me especially tucked in on the bike). I even had to modify the ninja's seat just so it didn't bother my lower back as much.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #12
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

A very heart-felt congratulations!

Let me just add, that before you spring for the Deauville, check out the BMW F800. Sure it's a couple grand more, but it would probably be the last bike you'd buy. (They last forever.) And you'll make up reasons, to take 1K mile trips...

KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #13
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Alex,
Congrats on your remission. That is WONDERFUL! I think you should definitely celebrate that w/ a new toy. Good luck making your decision. Ally

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #14
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Alex,
I am thrilled to hear the good news. I say start a new adventure in riding on a new bike or why not have both and add some variety to your riding.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #15
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

Wow that's great news about your remission! I'd feel like I was given a new life if that happened to me!

As for the bike, if you can afford it without much of a stretch GO FOR IT!!!!!! GO GO GO GO GO!!!! GET OUTTA HERE GOOOOOOOOOOOOO BUY IT ! IT's YOUR LIFE GOOOOOOOOOOOO! lol Maybe you can even keep both OR maybe you can buy a cheaper pre-gen ninjette for 1-2kish and have BOTH!!

And wow somebody else likes the F800ST!!!
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #16
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Re: cancer in remission, awesome! I don't see any reasons not to put the NT700 in the stable, if only for a celebratory gift-to-self. Unless, of course, you don't think you've earned it.

Old October 30th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #17
TygaUSA.com
Tyga Performance

Name: TygaUSA

Motorcycle(s): Honda's!

You can be sure of one thing, the twin in the Honda is bullet proof and will just go forever..they are GREAT engines!!
TygaUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #18
supermanzdead
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Current: 2011 ZX6r Owned: 2010 EX250R "Special Edition"

Wow, grats on the cancer thing, I say live it up and do what makes you happy (and more comfortable!)
supermanzdead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #19
Sailariel

Thank you all for your support. I have to say that I was tempted--especially when the dealer offered me $2600 for the Ninja because it is literally in mint condition. This is a 2 year old Ninja with 12000mi on the clock! And he is offering $1000 less than I paid for it. I have decided to have the Suburban detailed and sell it outright. It is a 3/4 Ton, 2WD, with a 6.5L Turbo Diesel. No rust, since it has never seen winter, and it has every option available in 1995. 100,000mi for this diesel is nothing. Paint has some sun damage from the Florida sun because it is two tone Red and Black. It has the heavy duty trailer package and is set up for electric brakes. It is the perfect tow vehicle for an RV, Horse Trailer, Heavy boat, etc. I'll then get a Focus, and that will make room for the Honda and Ninja. I am enrolled in a Sportbike rider's course this spring, so the Ninja would be good for that as well as doing some performance riding, track days, etc. Two of you mentioned the BMW--a very nice bike. Problem is that I have yet to find a BMW that comfortably fits me except for the old airheads like the R-50 I owned many years ago--of course, since it had a sidecar, flat footing the bike was not an issue. I like the NT because it fits me like it was custom made for me. I can not only flatfoot it, but length and angle from the seat to the centre of the steering head is perfect. The other thing that stood out was the very smooth gear shifts--no clunks and a velvet smooth clutch. The press has not been kind to this bike, citing how boring it is to ride, etc. They also complained of driveline lash. That was not my experience. In the twisties, the only thing that limited the lean angle somewhat, was the centre stand--which can be easily removed. The other thing I liked was that the engine is bulletproof--albeit old technology--which is not necessarily a bad thing. Police Departments all over Europe have been using this bike for ten years. The reliability of this engine makes it perfect for a touring machine. I also rode a 4cyl Wing and came back after 15min. It was smooth, had bags of torque, but was too long in the stem to seat measurement. It is commonly accepted that a bicycle needs to be professionally fitted for the rider. On a bicycle one has more flexibility--being able to adjust stem length, seat height, and forward and back on the seat. You can't do that on a motorcycle even though the same rules apply. Ride a motorcycle that does not fit for an hour, and then let us talk about fit a half hour later--because that's how long it will take you to straighten up from your aching back. Fortunately the designers for Kawasaki, Honda, et al, know design and do study body types--which is why some machines are only sold in some countries. They do a pretty good job with averages--a not so easy task. The Ninjette was designed with a lot of thought from 1986 on. You can do clip ons for that sportbike crouch or you can stay with the stock bars. You can then consult Shinto Racing's superb new catalog and find two ways to add height or angle to your handlebars--again a fit consideration which can add to the enjoyment of the bike. Bicycles and Motorcycles are a good marriage--many of the same rules apply. There are no chicken stripes on my racing bicycles. There are none on the Ninja, but that is because the tyres are a week old--not due to my riding skills. The school this spring will make a huge improvement in my riding skills. Re. Cancer remission: I had TWO neat shots of 30 year old Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch--Nectar of the gods!

Old October 30th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #20
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Yea, remission. Alex, I wish that you have many, many years of good health. Way to slay the dragon.

Old October 30th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #21
Sailariel

Jeff, Like Lance Armstrong said, "I just don't have time for cancer"

Old October 30th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #22
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Alex that is wonderful news. I know three people fighting the fight and you are very lucky indeed.

Someone parks an NT next to me at work and it is strange, yet wonderful looking machine. Sort of like someone a took the best elements of a big scooter and a VFR an blended them together. It looks as though every bit of it has been thought out. Everytime I see it I can't stop looking at it. It also looks like it would be extremely comfortable to ride.

Get it, enjoy it.

Old November 1st, 2010, 07:14 AM   #23
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Just a thought WRT garage space: After you sell the Suburban you can get a full-sized pickup truck and a ramp, then keep one of the bikes stored in the truck bed. That way you'll still have the cargo utility of the Suburban (albeit not covered). Two bikes will give you much flexibility on riding choice between nimble fun and comfortable cruising.

Glad to hear the good news on remission, that's something special. I don't have a 30 year in my stock currently but I'll raise an 18 year Talisker to you when I get home tonight. )

BTW, what's a Suburban like yours go for nowadays?
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2010, 07:40 AM   #24
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Name: LMG

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja EX250J

alex, congratulations on the fight...you're an inspiration.

your comparison to bicycles is spot on. physiological geometry is absolutely everything once you plant your bum, hands and feet on any two wheeled vehicle. your body completes the frame of a vehicle and is only as effective as the rider feels comfortable.

sounds like you got it all figured out, how much are you selling the suburban for?
petiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2010, 08:53 AM   #25
Sailariel

I don't have a clue as to what the Suburban is worth. It is a 1995 3/4Ton chassis with the extra heavy trailer package.The fact that it has a Turbo Diesel is another plus. My father in law towed a gigunda RV with it and it rode like there was nothing there. It is 2WD, so it is really limited in its use. As a tow vehicle, it has no peer. Its condition would probably place it in the high Blue Book range. With the Suburban out of the garage, two bikes could be easily acommodated. The garage is 30X30 and is insulated and heated. I really don't need a full size SUV and a Crossover SUV. The Pontiac Vibe is versatile enough, also has a trailer package, and tows our Landscape trailer with no problem. I am a strong believer in fitting bikes. In my Bicycle shop, I do fittings all the time. Motorcycles should be no different.

Old November 1st, 2010, 09:12 AM   #26
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I don't have a clue as to what the Suburban is worth.
http://www.kbb.com/used-cars

Old November 1st, 2010, 09:39 AM   #27
Sailariel

Thanks, Kelly. Looks like I could probably get 5K in a trade.

Old November 1st, 2010, 09:51 AM   #28
Ash
ninjette.org member

Name: Ash

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Congrats on the good news for your health!
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2010, 11:16 AM   #29
kkim

Quote:
Thanks, Kelly. Looks like I could probably get 5K in a trade.
try to sell it privately for a bit more and if you can't, use it as a trade in if that's what you end up deciding. GL...

Old November 1st, 2010, 12:41 PM   #30
Sailariel

Kelly, Private sales can be a PITA. Since we would be needing to replace the "Queen Mary" with a car, getting a high trade in might be worth not having the hassle.

Old November 1st, 2010, 04:13 PM   #31
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Jeff, Like Lance Armstrong said, "I just don't have time for cancer"
Ditto.

Old November 1st, 2010, 05:03 PM   #32
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Nice!!! Congrats Alex!

Live it up man! If you like it, go for it!

Old November 2nd, 2010, 06:15 PM   #33
Sailariel

Paulette, I think that I will be selfish and indulge myself by having both. Do you think having a new custom made kitchen for my wife, complete with granite countertops and an island is a fair trade off? I think so. I will only register the NT-700V. The Ninja will be used as a track bike. The Honda will get a "Center standectomy". I don't like dragging things. The bike handles much too well to have that obstruction.