ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 3rd, 2019, 03:41 AM   #1
PR2Jay
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jaiden

Motorcycle(s): 250 gpx

250 gpx starts but then stalls

Been having this issue for a few weeks, my bike will turn on and be rideable for about a minute but then the revs start dropping lower and lower until the bike fully turns off, and then it gets harder and harder to start, have a new battery, any ideas?
PR2Jay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2019, 04:32 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
One possibility of many is that your tank vent is blocked. Another is that the little filter screen inside the fuel hose where it enters the carb is blocked. Another is that your petcock isn't flowing properly. I'd bet it's some sort of fuel restriction.

Welcome to the board Jaiden!
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2019, 09:13 PM   #3
PR2Jay
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
One possibility of many is that your tank vent is blocked. Another is that the little filter screen inside the fuel hose where it enters the carb is blocked. Another is that your petcock isn't flowing properly. I'd bet it's some sort of fuel restriction.

Welcome to the board Jaiden!
I was thinking it may be a fuel restriction aswell but I have next to no clue where any of the parts are on the bike. Would it be a hose coming from the fuel tank?

Old April 4th, 2019, 07:39 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

The tank vent is in the cap, and is pretty complicated, so work on a table with a towel on the surface it you take it apart. If that's the problem, when is tries to stall and your open the cap, it will run properly again. Use appropriate caution if you open the cap while riding.

The little screen in the fuel line is in the line from the petcock to the left carb, right where it goes over the barb at the carb. If it's clogged it could cause your symptoms.

The petcock is the thing with the ON-OFF valve on the bottom left of the tank. It's operated by vacuum that is created when the engine is running or cranked by the starter. If something is wrong and it's not opening fully, it could cause your symptoms.

The easiest one to check is the filter screen in the fuel line, so it would probably be wise to start there.

Spark problems normally show up as on or off, not "the revs start dropping lower and lower until the bike fully turns off".

Old April 5th, 2019, 02:36 AM   #5
PR2Jay
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
The tank vent is in the cap, and is pretty complicated, so work on a table with a towel on the surface it you take it apart. If that's the problem, when is tries to stall and your open the cap, it will run properly again. Use appropriate caution if you open the cap while riding.

The little screen in the fuel line is in the line from the petcock to the left carb, right where it goes over the barb at the carb. If it's clogged it could cause your symptoms.

The petcock is the thing with the ON-OFF valve on the bottom left of the tank. It's operated by vacuum that is created when the engine is running or cranked by the starter. If something is wrong and it's not opening fully, it could cause your symptoms.

The easiest one to check is the filter screen in the fuel line, so it would probably be wise to start there.

Spark problems normally show up as on or off, not "the revs start dropping lower and lower until the bike fully turns off".
I checked the filter screen and that was all good in both the normal hose and the reserve, I’m now running into a new issue though, bike started making a clicking noise ose when I tried turning it on like it did with my old battery, then it made a more annoying buzzing noise and now it makes no noise at all

Old April 5th, 2019, 06:34 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

As I posted, the filter screen in question is in the rubber fuel line, right where it attaches to the left carb. The screens in the tank are also important, but generally don't clog by themselves.

Your battery is discharged. If you recently replaced it, you probably have something wrong with the charging system.

Have you seen this page? https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto

Old April 5th, 2019, 06:37 AM   #7
PR2Jay
ninjette.org newbie

I jump started my bike a few months ago with a car that was turned on while my battery wasn’t working, just read a post that said my starter could be bad now, I’m pretty sure I broke my starter lmao. Any clue where I would find it?

Old April 5th, 2019, 06:59 AM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Jump starting the motorcycle from a running car won't hurt the bike's starter motor, but it can blow the voltage regulator. That would prevent the battery from being charged. Regulators are cheaper and easier to replace than starter motors.

You didn't answer my question about the web page I posted the link to.

Old April 5th, 2019, 07:01 AM   #9
PR2Jay
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Jump starting the motorcycle from a running car won't hurt the bike's starter motor, but it can blow the voltage regulator. That would prevent the battery from being charged. Regulators are cheaper and easier to replace than starter motors.
Is the regulator on the side of the bike near the battery? I think I replaced it with the one on my other gpx but the battery still died after running it for a while