Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old December 31st, 2015, 03:03 AM   #1
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

Thinking about buying a pregen while in Seattle

Going on leave for 2 weeks starting next week and I was looking around the seattle craigslist out of boredom. I saw several pregen 250's with relatively low miles (<10k) going for pretty cheap (~$1000). I'm seriously considering taking out a small loan (well within my budget) and purchasing one of these fine ladies to drive back down to san diego, where they sell for a fair deal more, especially come springtime (and in the meantime, I can enjoy a healthy boost in mpg over my zx6r)

I've gone cross country on 250's before (coast to coast) and I'm quite familiar with the pregens (owned 2 before the navy). Plane ticket's already paid for (not by me... courtesy of united airlines ) so I'm not going to be stranded.

Am I crazy, or does this actually sound like kind of a good idea?
probably crazy, but still

EDIT: No longer considering this. Will get my road trip itch scratched in the summer when it's not frozen in the northern states.

Last futzed with by Insan3guy; December 31st, 2015 at 04:12 PM.
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old December 31st, 2015, 07:33 AM   #2
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Sounds like a plan to me. Would be better if you could do it without the loan.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2015, 07:45 AM   #3
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15

J/k! Sounds like an adventure. I take it you've never driven around Mt Shasta in January?
... A $1000 loan? For a used, unknown, long way from home ride through the snow? What could go wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.1 KB, 0 views)
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2015, 07:56 AM   #4
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan3guy View Post
Going on leave for 2 weeks starting next week and I was looking around the seattle craigslist out of boredom. I saw several pregen 250's with relatively low miles (<10k) going for pretty cheap (~$1000). I'm seriously considering taking out a small loan (well within my budget) and purchasing one of these fine ladies to drive back down to san diego, where they sell for a fair deal more, especially come springtime (and in the meantime, I can enjoy a healthy boost in mpg over my zx6r)

I've gone cross country on 250's before (coast to coast) and I'm quite familiar with the pregens (owned 2 before the navy). Plane ticket's already paid for (not by me... courtesy of united airlines ) so I'm not going to be stranded.

Am I crazy, or does this actually sound like kind of a good idea?
probably crazy, but still
It depends. If you're looking at it as an adventure on a motorcycle with minimal loss, then sure.

Just remember the used vehicle guidelines for CA DMV for mileage, or you won't be able to register a 49 state bike.

Also, the cost of tax, title, and reg might knock out any profit.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2015, 08:49 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2015, 08:55 AM   #6
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
What Chris is saying, Patrick; is he will ride the bike for you!

...I like those cut-offs!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2015, 09:33 AM   #7
pantera
ninjette.org member

Name: Brion

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom / 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Not worth taking a loan out for.If you do not the the disposable cash on hand leave the bikes right where they are..
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2015, 03:53 PM   #8
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by inapexveritas View Post
It depends. If you're looking at it as an adventure on a motorcycle with minimal loss, then sure.

Just remember the used vehicle guidelines for CA DMV for mileage, or you won't be able to register a 49 state bike.

Also, the cost of tax, title, and reg might knock out any profit.
All the bikes I'm considering are above the mileage or will be by the time I get back. I've looked up the costs of reg, etc. It's under $100 for the whole shebang.
I'm looking at it as part-adventure thing, part maybe-I-can-make-some-money-here thing, which is why I'm afraid that my head's in the wrong place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
Not worth taking a loan out for.If you do not the the disposable cash on hand leave the bikes right where they are..
I don't have that much disposable cash right now. These bikes have a good turnaround time in my experience so it wouldn't be difficult to sell on short notice if such a need arose, but you have a point. Thinking I may just leave this trip for the summertime.

Old December 31st, 2015, 04:12 PM   #9
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan3guy View Post
I'm looking at it as part-adventure thing, part maybe-I-can-make-some-money-here thing, which is why I'm afraid that my head's in the wrong place.

I don't have that much disposable cash right now.
If the make-some-money bit is kind of a requirement, I would be hesitant to recommend it.

Hypothetically, would you be financially alright if for whatever reason the bike got damaged/totaled in an at-fault? If no, I'd say pass on the adventure.

If yes, and you'd be able to live with that financial hit, then I'd say go for it. It'd be an adventure, and anything you can get from selling the bike would be icing on the cake.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote