ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old April 17th, 2017, 05:20 PM   #1
kekdamar
ninjette.org newbie

Name: damar

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

2 slow speed crashes after changing tires

I got my ninja 300 back in february, it came with pirelli diablo rosso 2 tires, which I quickly wore down, racking up about 3k miles in the first 2 months. I recently put the stock rear tire back on (IRC roadwinner), and have had 2 slow speed crashes in wet conditions when my rear tire slipped out when cornering.

The first crash I acknowledge I was coming in too fast on a sharp right turn, (turning into my apartment complex no less) and used the rear brake when I shouldn't have, this compounded by the wet conditions led to a bad time.

The second crash (today) is what really has thrown me for a loop. I was doing about 25-30, and there was a sharp left corner, as I began to take the turn, and just as began to lean, my rear tire slipped out and I high-sided.

I am fine other than bruised knees, but I am trying to evaluate what went wrong on the second crash. Other than going slower in the future, I feel that my tires have really poor traction.

Does anyone have any similar experiences with the stock tires?
kekdamar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2017, 05:31 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Wet weather traction on public roads is extremely variable. Vehicles leak oil and sometimes diesel fuel and gasoline. All you need is a slightly oily spot and traction goes from OK to ice-like. It's certainly possible, or maybe likely that the stock tire's wet performance is not as good as the Pirelli you're used to, and I'm a fan of using high quality, high traction tires, but pushing curves on public roads in wet weather is asking for crashes, no matter what tires you're running.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2017, 05:49 PM   #3
kekdamar
ninjette.org newbie

The corner in question:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3939...70nH7i5CKg!2e0

Old April 17th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Zooming in, I can see several questionable areas, including some obvious oil drips. Typical public road.

Old April 17th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #5
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Are the IRCs new? Are giving throttle while tipping in?

I've felt the rear IRC slide when still cold. They're not very good.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2017, 11:20 PM   #6
kekdamar
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
Are the IRCs new? Are giving throttle while tipping in?

I've felt the rear IRC slide when still cold. They're not very good.
They are from 2014, they were taken off by the previous owner shortly after purchase and replaced with the rosso tires I had until recently. How does one go about warming up a tire?

Old April 18th, 2017, 05:54 AM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Ride at moderate pace for a few miles before hammering it. Basically it means just don't hit it hard right out of the gate. You don't need to do anything special.

IRCs are notorious for low grip. Typical of OEM tires... they aim for long life, not performance.

Weaving does not warm tires... acceleration and braking (i.e. getting the carcass to flex) do.

http://www.sportrider.com/how-to-pro...arm-your-tires

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2017, 06:27 AM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

It's pretty hard to have warm tires in wet conditions.

Old April 18th, 2017, 06:41 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
As others have noted, the 3 year old IRC probably isn't that great at this point. It was probably "adequate" when brand new, but surely hasn't improved over time.

A significant mis-match between the superior traction of the front Diablo Rosso and the inferior traction of the rear Roadwinner isn't going to help the situation either.

It doesn't take much oil or coolant on the road to make a slick spot when it's wet, and you aren't going to see anything.

If the Rosso is getting old or worn, it may be a good time to spring for a new set of fresh sport tires. A lot cheaper than replacing bodywork and gear.

Do some research on the best tire for your type of riding. There are plenty of good options out there, but know that some of the close-out tires may be older than you would like - so be careful of a great deal.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2017, 06:17 PM   #10
Bluberryrain
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I ride like a baby when it's wet outside. I locked up my rear tire once in the rain, when some jackass slammed on his brakes coz he decided he needed to turn right NOW.

Other than that, the sport demons have been pretty good in the rain. I just don't push them tho.
Bluberryrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2017, 09:58 PM   #11
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
My nickel says you're still applying the rear brake with too much force.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2017, 08:42 AM   #12
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Are you using the rear brake? The IRCs are not "great", but they are solid tires and should be enough for street speeds. At the end of the day, you can override any tire by asking too much of them. You have 100% of available traction before you start taking away percentage points by adding lean angle. If you're using the rear brake while turning, it's possible to overtax the tire while adding lean angle. Lean angle takes away available braking. To be honest, I never use the rear brake unless I have an off-track excursion into the dirt/grass at the track.

You may have simply hit an oil patch or something. Those patches can be super slick with a first rain. I've tucked the front with close to no warning before when hitting a slick patch. It sucks, but it happens.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote