Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 20th, 2016, 05:29 PM   #1
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Fly Racing F2 Helmet & Women's Kinetic Pants

I've always struggled with finding motorcycle gear that fits me but I recently bought a pair of Fly Racing Women's Kinetic motocross pants and I'm really happy with them. They fit true to size, have plenty of room for added protection underneath (they're dirtbike pants, so that could be mostly knee/shin guards but also have a slot for hip padding), and are *gasp* NOT high waisted! I bought a women's size 0/2 and they fit pretty well other than being a little big in the thigh area, but I think that's fine because it allows more air flow and also more movement of the legs. I also crashed with them at 50mph on the dirt track and ended up with a small spot of road rash and bad bruise where my left hip hit the ground but the rash was from the pants sliding against my skin, not from them ripping or getting a hole torn in them. The pants held up very well and do not have rips from that crash. I would recommend them highly, they are $110 retail but I paid $46 closeout from the distributor. They seem high quality and are comfortable and look good.

I also got a Fly Racing F2 helmet which is a dirtbike helmet that's DOT, ECE, and Snell rated. I was amazed when I wore it for the first time because it feels like there's nothing below your nose, it flows that much air. It's comfortable and fits me well and true to size (XS). The shell is a small, which is disappointing but most manufacturers don't make more than two or three shell sizes. Visibility is good and only hampered by those stupid dirtbike goggles that I can't ever seem to get to fit my face. The visor is adjustable for how high or low you want it (that is, how high or low the aim of the front of the visor is). Also, it does really well until speeds of about 55mph or higher. At those speeds, the visor starts to feel like a sail and the wind drags your head back. Unfortunately I also crashed with the helmet at 50mph and the EPS liner compressed and cracked in three places at the site of impact. I couldn't see anything out of my left field of vision for about 30 minutes after the crash but after that all was normal and my head hurt for the rest of the day and a little into the next day. I'm happy with how the helmet performed and I will probably get the same helmet (it's $320 retail but I paid $135). For half the price of an Arai, it's probably a relatively good investment but if I get another one I will designate it to sub 40mph riding (I'm planning on buying the Arai for street/high speed riding). Also, the black/high vis that the helmet comes in looks really good!

All in all, I'd say Fly Racing gear is good for dirtbike riding and is good quality for the price. I'm impressed with the women's pants (first pair I've ever had that I will keep and use) and the helmet performed adequately if not impressively. Here are some pics of the pants/helmet.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2016, 04:16 PM   #2
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Good to know about the Fly helmet and pants. As I contemplate more of a move to dirt, this information may be rather useful!
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2016, 05:06 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
I couldn't see anything out of my left field of vision for about 30 minutes after the crash.
jesus, scary!!! i'd be freaking out.

Old August 7th, 2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Youch!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2016, 09:24 AM   #5
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I love fly racing gear! Glad it held up for you; sorry about your crash.