ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old May 23rd, 2017, 06:16 AM   #1
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Fuel smell in garage

This is pretty far OT but I thought I'd ask you guys.

I have a gas can, a lawnmower, and a bike in the garage. I've narrowed it down and the lawnmower is putting out a ton of fumes into the garage. I put some cardboard underneath the lawnmower to see if it's leaking and if it is leaking nothing is making it to the ground.

Any one have any hints for things I can check or things I can do to help reduce the fumes? It's gotten to the point where I have to leave the garage door open to air it out every day.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2017, 06:56 AM   #2
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
If it were me; I'd remove anything that might be leaking gas outside until it's resolved!
News at 11!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2017, 07:39 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Gas cap on mower is most likely vented to atmosphere.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2017, 08:16 AM   #4
Panda
not an actual panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Gas cap on mower is most likely vented to atmosphere.
You're right it is. Is it safe to block those holes up?

I feel like it isn't and I'll starve the engine when the fuel gets sucked out.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 08:21 AM   #5
Panda
not an actual panda

Actually I just put a plastic bag over the fuel cap and then secured it with a rubber band. I'll take off the bag when I run the mower. We'll see if this stops the smell.

Thanks for pointing out the venting caps.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 10:51 AM   #6
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
It's a failed valve in the float bowl of the lawnmower's carburetor.

Verify by checking the oil level in the mower: It'll be way high, because the gas is leaking into the crankcase.

Easiest solution is to install a $7 fuel petcock between the gastank and carb and change the oil.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2017, 06:48 AM   #7
Panda
not an actual panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post

Verify by checking the oil level in the mower: It'll be way high, because the gas is leaking into the crankcase.

Easiest solution is to install a $7 fuel petcock between the gastank and carb and change the oil.
Thanks, I'll check that because the plastic bag over the air vents in the gas cap didn't work.

Old May 24th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #8
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post

The hillbilly solution is to only put enough gas in the mower to mow the lawn... the tank should be nearly dry and if you leave the mower out side to cool off, by the time you put it in the garage it's dry.

takes a little bit to figure out exactly how much gas is needed to mow the lawn but you'll figure it out

that's what I do.

But just so you know, your garage is supposed to smell like plywood, brake cleaner and kerosene ... just how it's supposed to be, Toss in a little gas and exhaust and fresh cut grass from time to time as well.

Old May 24th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #9
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
you could put a condom over the gas cap and see how quickly it fills up. If it's not a significant amount, check how it seals. Still not, then the mower's probably not your problem.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2017, 06:48 AM   #10
Panda
not an actual panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
The hillbilly solution is to only put enough gas in the mower to mow the lawn... the tank should be nearly dry and if you leave the mower out side to cool off, by the time you put it in the garage it's dry.

takes a little bit to figure out exactly how much gas is needed to mow the lawn but you'll figure it out

that's what I do.

But just so you know, your garage is supposed to smell like plywood, brake cleaner and kerosene ... just how it's supposed to be, Toss in a little gas and exhaust and fresh cut grass from time to time as well.
It smelled a little like gas and exhaust from my bike. But the lawnmower makes it smell a lot like gas.

I think I'll try your technique. I called a local shop and the guy wanted 75 bucks to pull the carbs apart. The lawnmower only cost 100 bucks I'm not sure it's worth it and I'm pretty sure I have just enough tools to disassemble the lawnmower but not enough tools to re-assemble the lawnmower.

Old May 25th, 2017, 06:51 AM   #11
Panda
not an actual panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
you could put a condom over the gas cap and see how quickly it fills up. If it's not a significant amount, check how it seals. Still not, then the mower's probably not your problem.
I put a plastic bag around the gas cap and then secured it with a rubber band. So it's a little like a giant ill fitting condom. It's not filling up with gas and it still smells poorly so it makes me think it's a failed valve in the float bowl per @dcj13 's suggestion.