ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Notices

Old October 9th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #1
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em (RZ350)

So after some time looking for a project bike i finally pulled the trigger.

Took the trailer for a trip to NY. today to check out an 84 Yamaha RZ350, and it just happened to come home with me.

mechanically the bike is pretty stellar, the cosmetics...ehhh leaves a little to desire to say the least But i was more concerned about mechanics and price over the looks as i have no intentions of making it look stock.

Ill get some pictures up tomorrow evening if i get a chance. It has been a long day on the road and pretty much dark by the time i got home.

Bike is mechanically together and pretty much naked as can be right now, has a tank that needs painted that's about it. Has lots of bits and parts that are in half a dozen boxes, + most of the OEM fairings, aftermarket race body work among other things.

all the fairings and body work show their age if you catch my drift.

I figure i will street fighter it to get it on the road ASAP plus i think the SF look on that bike is pretty hot

Quick info on the bike for those who don't know. The RZ 350 has pretty much the same engine as the Yamaha Banshee quads have. 350 twin, 2 stroke. The main difference is the power valves. The RZ 350 valves work a little different to make it a little more friendly on the street in the low revs but it still screams up top

Bike will be pretty light especially if i street fighter it and put out around 65-70 snappy hang on 2 stroke ponies.

will be a great winter project

Once i get some cash flow i have a few things i would like to do starting with new headers and pipes, i like the twin one side look, deelish!

stay tuned

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Last futzed with by subxero; October 10th, 2014 at 05:32 AM.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old October 9th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #3
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16

Old October 9th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Bought one new in '84 to replace my RD400.

Fun bike. You'll enjoy the jolt when the power valves open and the engine hits the powerband - be ready!
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #5
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

Good luck! I think these look pretty cool with the fairings.

Check out my music at http://www.proteusmusic.com
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #6
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Congrats!

Old October 10th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Pictures of the bike as it is, some of the fairings it came with, some of the stock and some aftermarket stuff and my trailer and one of my top mechanics

Something that popped in my head while taking photo's of the front end is that this stock wheel might be exactly what ninjetters have been looking for. same size wheel takes 110/70 -17 tire and it has dual rotors

Probably wouldn't take much to make it happen. Is it necessary on a ninja 250... no but when is it ever about necessity? only problem is you have to like the look of these wheels

anyway back on subject. photo's of my mess of a bike

Ill probably just use this thread as my build thread and update it slowly as i get things done. Seems like a good idea.

now feast your eyes my 2 smoker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0749.jpg (141.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0750.jpg (137.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0754.jpg (153.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0756.jpg (171.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0758.jpg (136.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0760.jpg (143.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0761.jpg (141.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0762.jpg (99.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0752.jpg (62.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0757.jpg (196.6 KB, 17 views)

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 10th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #8
Matto55
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250; 1999 Kawasaki Klx300R

Congrats buddy!
Matto55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #9
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

Nice find. Here's some plug reading info from the master.

http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html

Holed pistons aren't uncommon on those engines, then the molten piston crown wipes out the crank bearings.
Probably a good idea to put new crank seals, bearings and top-end in it before it seizes at the most inopportune time.
Learn to ride with two fingers on the clutch to catch it if/when it sticks...

Old October 14th, 2014, 06:54 AM   #10
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Sweeeeeettttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #11
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
So i slapped a seat on the RZ took it down the road a mile and back today just to give it a go and feel it out a bit.

It definitely has it's fair share of issues, a lot are quick fixes. Think the float bowls are stuck, overflow leaks fuel like a sieve, steering head bearings are loose (probably shot) the brakes will need completely gone over, just easiest to do all new lines & fittings among other things. The clutch felt good, the pull is tough but expected on a bike like this, i'm used to tough clutch pulls so it is non issue.

The good, well it starts, it runs, when the engine is getting the right amount of fuel & air it feels good, sounds good and wow that power band this thing is gonna be super fun to ride once it is finished

The aftermarket seat feels super wide, the aftermarket rear sets are pretty agressive compared to my ninja WC rear sets, the clip ons are fairly aggressive but i like the overall feel of the bike. The seat is fairly high and because it is wide, i can not touch two down even tip toes but it is non issue and doesn't bother me.

Ill figure out more as i dig into it, unfortunately that is probably the most riding it will see until some time next year.

Ill start taking it apart soon enough

Last futzed with by subxero; October 18th, 2014 at 03:53 PM.

Old October 18th, 2014, 07:50 AM   #12
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Great bike (had one) you will love it.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 08:04 AM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Well maybe I'm getting ahead of myself as I have a lot of work to do just in general maintenance and getting the little bits to make it road worthy but at the same time I guess you need something to aim at for the future.

Here are 2 pictures of bikes that I am using as inspiration for my project. They are a little different but each has a few key aspects for the look I am hoping for.

I really like the bikini fairing look up front, I like the solo seats on both, but more so the yellow one as it is a little more modern and aggressive looking + I pretty much already have that fairing kit. Other than that, the red one has an R1 front end swap and a rgv250 rear swinger swap. Neither are cheap mods but in due time I like the pipes on the yellow one but I will most likely go for a 2 exhausts on the right side look, just my thing.

Ok done with the day dreaming, what is actually in the plans for the near future.

Work on selling some things i don't plan on keeping from the bike to get some cash for bearing seal kits, gasket kits ect... In the mean time Complete tear down, go over all bearings and seals, replace what needs replaced. compression test the engine, take the top end off and check it out. Peer into the bottom end from the top, jiggle the crank rods and decide if I should split the case. (replace things as needed, if the crank and top end are in bad shape ill probably spring for a 421cc big bore & stroke kit )

Ill strip and paint lots of parts, bits and pieces while the bike is apart. (have to decide on a color yet )

Tear the carb apart, decide if I want to keep the one on there or get a different one along with aftermarket reeds.

put everything back together less the front end. Think long and hard about doing the front end swap now to save some money in the long run. Front end will need all new bearings, brake lines, levers, who knows what else. I could easy put that $100+ into a R1 complete front end. But then I need to spring for a wheel and tires among other things, can always sell takes offs to help make ends meet $ wise as well but that is always a gray area

Two strokes are easy and fun to work on but it is easy to dig yourself a $ hole with engine, exhaust and intake mods. I know this first hand from my dirtbike

So yeah, that's the game plan for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rz 350.jpg (52.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg RZ%20right%20side.JPG (154.1 KB, 13 views)

Old October 22nd, 2014, 08:19 AM   #14
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

For the record - I "think" the yellow bike has a front end swap as well. Looks Honda F2/F3 and so does the rear wheel.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:39 AM   #15
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:42 AM   #16
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
For the record - I "think" the yellow bike has a front end swap as well. Looks Honda F2/F3 and so does the rear wheel.
agreed, definitely the rear and most likely the front. I will probably aim for the R1 front end though, something about inverted forks and gold makes me happy inside

Old November 12th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #17
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Still trying to formulate an attack plan. So many things I would like to do but with a tight budget I need to plan carefully.

Got the carbs off the other day, they are Mikuni ( I'm not a fan) No wonder they were leaking and bike wasn't running well, Main jet of right carb was laying in the bowl, and the float needle was stuck

Would like to spring for some pwk carbs but unless I can find them used cheap it isn't going to happen this year so most likely I will work with the Mikuni's for now.

I need to treat the tank for rust, it looks like there is a little bit inside which means there is a lot inside. need to read up on different ways to take care of it, shouldn't be too difficult or costly

Bout all I got right now. I can have the engine out and split in probably an hour or so and that is my next step. That is the big ? right now, what does that all look like?

I am thinking i'll get the frame powder coated this winter, and get the tank painted or powder coated. Other expenses for this year should be cheaper, bearings and seals. That is about all I hope to accomplish this year other than general cleaning up, snugging up stuff. As long as the engine is in decent shape that should put me in a position to at least be able to joy ride it on occasion next season

Old December 2nd, 2014, 08:33 PM   #18
Cat-Man
ninjette.org member

Name: Enrique

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 1974 RD350, 1996 CBR1000F

Very very sweet bike. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I know these are pretty hard to come by.
Cat-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #19
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ thanks, and you and me both.

I have sold some of the extras i don't plan on using to re-coupe some of the cost of the bike. but i still haven't bought anything for it. I am debating selling the entire front end to fund the purchase of a 00 or newer SS front end which is the end result i want but it could also put me into a position where the bike won't be ridable next season at all even the occasional off the books down the road spin for shits & giggles. I have time, my biggest thing for this bike is i promised myself and the Mrs. i would take my time. If it takes me 3 years to get it where i want it so be it. I can't just go dropping mad cash on it..... unfortunately, unless i win the loto or something

It's in my basement for the winter, it makes me happy every time i walk past it on my way to and from work ... even if it is far from complete LOVE IT!!

Old December 4th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #20
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

I love the two strokes . that is an amazing power plant. Good luck with the build. Get some nice LED CREE head lights for it!

that is going to be a trick little bike.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2015, 11:40 AM   #21
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Well ebay happened, one step closer to getting this project finished. This was a huge step but still have a long way to go 99-01 R1 triple and forks. Pretty much bolt on with a spacer. The important thing here is the Triple tree offset, this model has 35mm offset, 02 and new just get smaller and smaller to where it would throw the trail specs off by to much with out making adjustments else where

@Alex Can you add RZ350 into the title of this thread somewhere please and thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_58.jpg (73.3 KB, 5 views)

Old February 13th, 2015, 11:52 AM   #22
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
there are several aftermarket fully adjustable triple setups that let you change the offset and pitch angle. they're kinda pricey though.

Old February 13th, 2015, 12:07 PM   #23
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ yeah, that was the debate in my head last week. $800 for an adjustable triple or $500 for a complete SS front end that puts me in a good position. (I picked up the triple and forks + clip ons for $175. Pretty content with that)

In a perfect world I think we know which way I would have gone.

Old February 16th, 2015, 07:45 AM   #24
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

That's a pretty good price on a complete front end. Still watching this thread with some anticipation. Seen some really really sweet build on these old gals.

Old February 16th, 2015, 08:17 AM   #25
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ yeah, I have been watching lots of parts on ebay for a few months, these were the cleanest looking, lowest priced ones I had seen.

I still have to get lots of parts for the front but am holding off for a few weeks buying calipers ect... If I get a decent tax return I might spring for a set of newer forks. I like the darker gold and updated components that go along with them. I will have to use the old triple but the newer forks should fit the same, they are a little shorter though but it should be non issue if I go that route. I should be able to sell the older r1 tubes to recoupe most of what I paid for them and I keep the triple.

Yeah, there are some gorgeous rz hybrid builds out there. A lot of the guys that do these go crazy all out. I don't have that kind of loose change but hopefully I will slowly get there with the small bits and pieces to spice it up.

Next priority on my list other than front end bits is a new swingarm. The RGV250 VJ22, and vj23's pop on ebay pretty consistently from the UK but they are not cheap. The other route is finding an old 80's Fz600 swingarm. I don't see very many.

It's a fine hole I have dug, will be interesting to see how and how long it takes me to dig back out

Old February 26th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #26
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
got some parts off today, getting ready for my new parts to come in over the next week or so.

I got the pipes off as well next is the swing arm.

Don't mind my little cluttered room in the basement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1643.jpg (102.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1644.jpg (127.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1645.jpg (132.8 KB, 7 views)

Last futzed with by subxero; April 18th, 2015 at 05:02 PM.

Old February 26th, 2015, 06:19 PM   #27
The Red Scourge
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): '76 Yamaha RD400, '71 Kawasaki G3SS, '88 Honda CBR400RR, '90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

I'm really jealous. How did you find this? It seems those 2 strokes are becoming extremely rare. I would kill for one, even a project.

Old February 26th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #28
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ oddly enough they pop up a good bit in the North East. I pulled this one out of Western NY. Ohio seems to hold a fair amount, i feel like half of the bikes i see for sale come from Ohio. And the guy i bought this off of said it actually came from a guy in Ohio.

I see a few from CA every now and then as well.

The trick is finding someone selling one at a reasonable price

Kinda sad i am disassembling this nearly stock bike to turn it into a hybrid but at the same time other people will make good use of the parts for their resto's i am selling

Old February 27th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #29
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
So a few posts back you can see a picture of the perfectly fine 99 R1 forks and triple i bought. Well i really like the darker gold of the newer gen forks so this happened

On side note, anyone interested in a set of 99 R1 forks?

Old March 4th, 2015, 07:18 AM   #30
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Latest piece of the puzzle, should arrive from Japan next week I figure

On side note, my buying shenanigans need to be put on hold until I sell some more take off bits. This swing arm and the forks are the biggies, everything else is just generic stuff I can get at the drop of a hat if I have the cash, calipers, bar controls, lines, rotors wheels ect...

I did a quick cost estimation and I figure it will cost me at least $1k to pick up the rest of the hardware I need for a ride able bike Gaskets, bearing/seal kits, wheels, tires and rotors add up quick

I could get lucky though and find a decent set of wheels with decent tires and rotors but time will tell.

This is a swing arm off an early 90's RGV250 pretty sweet and trick for the times and the banana shape of the right side should give me clearance for the gp style single sided pipes if I so choose, which I do want but don't see me throwing the cash at it anytime soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rgv250.jpg (40.1 KB, 7 views)

Old March 13th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #31
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Some pics where i half ass just slapped some of the conversion bits on just for fun and to look for any glaring issues that will need addressed

Finally got the engine out, the top end doesn't look to bad at quick glance, the head and domes look reasonable the cylinders does not look bad at all. Will have better idea when i take the jugs off.

A pictures of the where the top of the shock bolts to the frame. Shows why i need to find either a non reservoir shock or one with a remote reservoir.

A pic of the center stand and the bracket that is off the bottom of the frame that it and the original linkage connects to I will need to make a bracket that connects to that in which the linkage knuckle will anchor to for the shock conversion as there are different pieces than the stock bits

so a little progress. My biggest thing i am trying to figure out what i am going to do is with the swing arm conversion. I can either get a bunch of stuff made to sleeve down the pivot of the rgv swingarm to accept the original rz pivot bolt, or just bore out the holes in the frame to accept the larger rgv pivot bolt diameter. I hunted all day yesterday for bearings or spacers online that would allow me to sleeve everything down but can't find the perfect ones so the latter gets more appealing by the day, there is tons of material on that part of the frame and it just seems so much easier, just need to make sure it is done right.

i still have a lot of money to spend before this is on the road
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1736.jpg (126.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1737.jpg (135.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1750.jpg (80.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1751.jpg (122.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1754.jpg (153.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1755.jpg (113.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1756.jpg (148.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1747.jpg (100.7 KB, 8 views)

Old March 13th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #32
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
got the jugs off, with my calipers the cylinders measure very tight to spec i am rather impressed. The cylinders themselves look really good even the skirts look good. The pistons don't look bad, the rings definitely had some blow by but nothing too crazy.
Wiggling the crank rod and looking at it and it feels pretty tight, i can't feel any atypical looseness. Regardless i need to split the case to look at all seals and gears ect... splitting the case is pretty easy as it's seam is horizontal as opposed to vertical.

So the good news, cylinders just need a hone and will take new pistons and rings. Crank seems solid. Still need to figure out what route i will go from here. Top end rebuild $250 give or take or i could sell my OEM cylinders put that and the $250 towards a big bore kit that comes with cylinders... only draw back is i would lose the powervalves. Need to do some figuring, i got time though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1759.jpg (148.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1760.jpg (74.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1761.jpg (75.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1762.jpg (53.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1763.jpg (60.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1768.jpg (84.9 KB, 3 views)

Old April 3rd, 2015, 11:53 AM   #33
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
been slow with progress as i need to sell some take offs before i can buy parts i need. Think i have someone lined up to buy the rz wheels which will be nice and give me a little money to work with but will go quick.

I have decided that since it seems i will not have this operational any time soon i need to turn it into at least a roller which will make moving it around a lot simpler.

So i figure i will use the cash to buy some wheels and the bearing and race bits i need to get the front end and swingarm on the bike.

Old April 18th, 2015, 12:56 PM   #34
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
collecting more parts. R1 front wheel, and some bearings for the steering stem for the fork/triple conversion. I should be able to get the front end all mounted up now, but there are a few things i need to do yet. Need to weld on a larger tab for the steering stop and still debating if i am going to paint the frame this year or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1983.jpg (96.4 KB, 3 views)

Old May 2nd, 2015, 06:57 AM   #35
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Got a ninja650 wheel in the mail the other day that i snagged of ebay. Good news is it looks good, nice wheel bad news is i think it is going to be a little too much work for me to make it work in the rgv swingarm. The hub on the 650 wheel is pretty wide. even milling down the cush drive i don't see it working easily. Actually the sprocket side lines up quite nice and looks good, tire is mostly centered would be an easy fix the problem is there is no room on the rotor side for much of anything.

Funny how things work, i jumped on the 650 wheel as it was a good price and i have had no luck digging up used aprilia rs250 wheels. Low and behold the day i got my 650 wheel in i found one or should i say it found me on an aprilia forum in a WTB thread i had. Seemed like a resonable price so it is on it's way. It should be significanly narrower than the 650 wheel and will also match the R1 front wheel i have a lot better.

Hopefully i can get it to work with out to much fuss, now i just need to sell this 650 wheel

Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:47 AM   #36
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #37
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

You get that new tire yet?

Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:48 AM   #38
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Yeah, I got a new rear wheel off an aprilia rs250, shipped from Italy, been meaning to put up some pictures. This is the original wheel I wanted but gave up on finding one as I mentioned before. It looks good, will give me a little more room in the back to make things work but will still be far from bolt on. The main thing being lining up the sprockets/chain with clearance ect... The brake side will be cake.

Not a ton of physical progress as of late but definitely some. I made a spacer for the steering stem so I have everything to mount the front on, still need to extend steering stop tab but that is easy enough, just need to do it. After that just need to press the lower roller bearing onto the steering stem and I am good to go there.

Still doing lots of research on the swingarm conversion. Originally I thought I was going to just drill/ream out the holes in the frame (still might) but was talking to someone who just sleeved down the inner races of the pivot with bronze bushings and they said it is all good. This would be very easy and cheap so I might try this route and see how things fit/feel before I start altering the frame. I am a little hesitant to ream out these holes, They will go from 16mm to 20mm which isn't a big deal and there is a good bit of material in that area of the frame so structurally it will be fine but I am a little nervous about doing it myself and getting it as close to 100% straight/centered/even on both sides as possible. Might look to see if any custom shops around with better equipment would do it on the cheap since it is again just reaming out some existing holes. IDK? Probably worried about it for no reason and should just use drill press to ream it out myself

I like the idea of reaming out the holes for one reason because I can then use the larger 20mm rgv spindle bolt vs the 16mm stock rz, not sure if it would matter or I could notice though? Bigger is better....right? But it would also be the complete rgv stock setup as far as bearings races spindle ect... it is a complete system nothing hacked and stitched together

+ not sure how reasonable it is to use the bronze bushings here to sleeve down the OEM inner race? trying to find some info. Is the bronze material suitable or at least somewhat suitable for the job?

I need to take a day off work and devote the time to finishing up a few aspects of these conversions. Once I have it in roller form there is a lot of other things I can start to mess around with.

Slow and steady

Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:58 AM   #39
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

@subxero

Still doing lots of research on the swingarm conversion.

+ not sure how reasonable it is to use the bronze bushings here to sleeve down the OEM inner race? trying to find some info. Is the bronze material suitable or at least somewhat suitable for the job?

I think bronze is suitable I used it to space out my aluminum- which is softer
to convert my ninjette. bronzebushings.com had great service and got a needle bearing from amazon with a built in seal.

Old May 24th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #40
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Interesting build thread. A guy near me did a RZ350 build using all the running gear from a Triumph 675R. Rear swingarm, front forks and triple clamps, wheels brakes and all.

I used to own an RZ350, one of the greatest small bikes I've owned. When I rip down to the street on a 2 cylinder 2 stroke, everyone would hurt their neck trying to see WTF is rolling down the road.
Zaph42 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.