ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM   #1
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Engine Oil Treatment

Has anyone tried any safe, oil treatment? Anyone ever heard of MotorKote? I hear Mr. MotorKote on the radio sometimes and he swears by it. I called and asked him how it would work with a bike, particularily the clutch system. He said it will be fine, do no damage, help with qiueting the top end. It is a hyperlubicant unlike others. Other treatments contain detergents, and stuff. This stuff here is supposed to make a Harley sound like a kitten. It doesn't displace your oil, and if you add it do no make any deductions of your normal oil amount. It bonds to the metal and protects everything. I'm putting it in my bike tomorrow, let you guys know how it goes. If you try it, don't buy a lot. It's expensive, $14.99 for 10oz at meijers, $80 for a gallon. Supposed to help increase fuel mileage too, ask a trucker about it.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:54 PM   #2
kkim

I wouldn't with the wet clutch system.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:37 PM   #3
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Can be added to other systems besides engines...tranny, differentials, rear end, power steering. I am going to double check with the wet clutch system, but I wouldn;t see why it wouldn't work. It's a pure synthetic based hyperlubricant. You run synthetic oil in your engine and clutch correct? One thing I would like is if it actually quiets down the top end in the motor.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

What problem are you having that you wish to solve with it? How are you going to measure if it fixes the problem? Do you do all your own service, or do you tend to take it to a local Kawi shop for some of the maintenance? What do they recommend re: this engine oil additive?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Snake oil.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:49 PM   #6
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
What problem are you having that you wish to solve with it? How are you going to measure if it fixes the problem? Do you do all your own service, or do you tend to take it to a local Kawi shop for some of the maintenance? What do they recommend re: this engine oil additive?
Not really having a problem that I wish to fix. I have used this in my 99 Mustang with 170,000 miles, original engine, still using standard oil. I use hyperlubricants at work and see the results in them. When I heard that this can be used in bikes I was interested if anyone here has tried it. Seems when I'm cruising down the highway on my bike, tucked down on the tank, I can make out the distinct soft pitter-patter of the valve train. During both dealer services(the 600 mile and the 'we have to replace your ignition and locks cause we broke the key off in your tank) I asked about the valve train noise and was assured that it is normal, particular on the carb model(timing?). My mustang purrs, litterally. I drive it all highway and get into it many times a day. What would it hurt?
Posted via Mobile Device
DmbShn41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
The only way you will be able to measure results will be in a longevety test. Report back to us when your engine has reached 50,000 miles and still going string with this stuff and I'll run out and buy some.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #8
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Tell you what. I tried 1.5 oz in my bike this morning when I was warming it up. And just like they're marketing ads say, it will drop your RPMs in seconds because of metal/molecular bond taking place as it runs through the engine. Rode to work(38 miles, 75% highway). Got off the highway, got down to work, parked, and as soon as I was able to park the bike, it stalled. Restarted it with gas, stalled. Tried a little choke and it stayed running, but would not stay running without choke. Contributed it to cold weather, but the additive had me thinking. Talked to one of our engineers/Harley freak/carb tuning master at our plant, and he suggested adjusting idle. I was concerned about that because I had previously set that last week and it was spot on 1500 RPMs. After work, let the bike warm up for about 20 minutes, played with idle, got it back to 1500RPM, and it ran great since. Put about 125 miles on it after work to get rid of the winter old StaBil, bike never had any more issues. I'll be changing oil next week, and let you guys know what I find.

Old March 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #9
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

^ That didnt sound good
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #10
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Talking

Meant it in a good way, I'm mildly surprised with it in the bike. I've used it in my other cars for awhile and have had success. Proven, as in before I used my mileage was this, and after I used it my mileage went up and stayed up. Just my take, but if anyone is interested, try it. I need to change my oil anyway cause I just got the bike out last week and wanted to change the oil before the season starts. Even though I changed it last year, a week before I put it away...

Old March 24th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #11
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Proven, as in before I used my mileage was this, and after I used it my mileage went up and stayed up.
Do you numbers on your base mileage and the incease? And how low did this stuff drop your rpm after it was added? It sounds like an interesting product albeit expensive as hell.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #12
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
I have used this in my 99 Mustang with 170,000 miles, original engine, still using standard oil.
Most of the oil additives that advertise about how their product bonds with the molecules to restore the cylinder walls, etc. are meant to be used in high mileage engines. Some of the hype is the ability to seal the oil ring and possibly the compression rings in these older engines. I would venture to say, you would be much better off saving your money and changing to a good synthetic oil, after your bike's engine is broken in with the recommended petroleum based oil.

As far as adding a supplement of "X" number of ounces in addition to an already full (let's assume 1.8 qts of oil) and saying it won't hurt the engine, I would have to disagree with that. If you research engines, overfilling is almost as bad as not having enough oil.

You should also read the article referenced in the Sticky section which was written by a retired chemist, who just happened to have worked for a major oil company. You want to stay away from oils which purport to "clean" the engine.

Good Luck in your search!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #13
g21-30

EBC Knows best on friction...

This is the clutch pack info from the EBC label:

Old March 25th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #14
g21-30

Also, check this link out:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=265483

Old March 25th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #15
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
EBC Knows best on friction...

This is the clutch pack info from the EBC label:

These all appeared to be dead links. The link you referred to showed a bunch of what people thought to be in it, and how a few might test it, but never did. Companies change formulation all the time and call it the same thing. I work with a very large ?ood company that rhymes with raft and couldn't tell you how many times I have signed off on formulation changes to a very delicious sauce that goes great with nachos(Can't say much). End result, its still the cheesiest.

I use MotorKote in my 09 Scion xB, have so from 5,000 miles and on. First oil change was at 5,000 miles. My fuel gauge showed an average of 24.4 MPG before the oil change. The day I picked my car up from the dealership, I added MotorKote. If you look at it now, with 8,378 miles, the fuel gauge shows and average of 25.7 MPG. Maybe it was because my oil was dirty, and my tires were low...In my 99 Mustang, its a 6 cyl with Borla Exhaust (I know), cold air intake, upsized throttle body, 3.73 rear end, with 170,000 miles. I was lucky to get 19-20 MPG before. Now, I consistently get 22-23 MPG, 300 miles to a 13.5 gal tank. I've used it with success in my cars, and was simply asking if anyone has tried it in the bikes. Maybe I'll be the first one to have to do a DIY on how to rebuild your engine after you put something in it that you shouldn't have, but if not, with my previous success, I think it will be ok.