ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 24th, 2015, 07:07 AM   #1
vkuchhal
ninjette.org member

Name: vibhor

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r -2010

Airfilter box bolt issue.. Please help.

Hi

I have a ninja 250 2010 model done around 30k Miles.

The airfilter box Bolt is not opening . When i try to open the bolt, it moves with the female housing as shown in the picture marked in Red. I suppose the locking system of the female bolt which is attached to the filter box is gone bad.. Please provide in solutions for the same.

Other than the box replacement , do i have any other option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (98.8 KB, 20 views)
vkuchhal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2015, 07:23 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Free bump for more suggestions...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2015, 07:53 PM   #3
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
I'm posting so I can find this thread next week when I'm working on my bike and can double check the solution before answering. Short answer is it can be patched together.
If you don't hear back from me next week or no one else answers meantime: PM me.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2015, 08:18 PM   #4
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
If you pull out the snorkel you may be able to grab the backside of the rivet nut that isn't supposed to be turning. I believe you can just pull out the snorkel by hand since it's soft and not held in by any bolts. You would then use some long needle nose pliers to reach in there and grab the nut. If this works then replacing the rivet nut would be recommended but will require special tools. Other option after would be to silicon or epoxy around the nut to hold it in place.

If the needle nose pliers don't work then you'll just have to drill off the head of the bolt to remove the cover then finish with pliers and buy a new bolt.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 31st, 2015, 08:26 PM   #5
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
it's a long shot but try and spray a little anti seize on the threads and let it soak in for 10 mins. Assuming you have already removed the other two bolt with one hand try pulling out on the cover as you try and loosen the bolt. By flexing the cover you'll be creating a binding force on the nut which could hold it in place enough to break the bolt loose. you'll probably have to pull out on the cover pretty hard but start out slow and ease into it.

Old January 1st, 2016, 10:23 AM   #6
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
If you pull out the snorkel you may be able to grab the backside of the rivet nut that isn't supposed to be turning. I believe you can just pull out the snorkel by hand since it's soft and not held in by any bolts. You would then use some long needle nose pliers to reach in there and grab the nut. If this works then replacing the rivet nut would be recommended but will require special tools. Other option after would be to silicon or epoxy around the nut to hold it in place.

If the needle nose pliers don't work then you'll just have to drill off the head of the bolt to remove the cover then finish with pliers and buy a new bolt.
he wouldn't be able to get a pliers in without destroying the filter. I would suggest removing the whole box and opening it up. then pulling the female end out, throw some JBweld around it and stuff it back in the hole.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2016, 10:44 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkuchhal View Post
........ Please provide in solutions for the same.

Other than the box replacement , do i have any other option.
All above suggestions are good.

One more:
I assume that the cover is on, as you cannot unscrew that bolt.
If after removing the seat, you could reach the insert-nut with a drill bit from above, then you could drill a couple of holes that would be tangent to the side of the insert.

Matching the diameters of the drill bit and some hard wire or small bolt, you could insert those wires or bolts in, creating a provisional jamming effect to prevent the rotation of the insert as you remove the bolt of the cover.

The plastic case is casted in a mold containing those female inserts, which external surfaces have a rough or dented finish to create an anchoring effect, but that is not too strong and can be stripped by a bolt that resists removal, like in your case.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2016, 11:20 AM   #8
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
he wouldn't be able to get a pliers in without destroying the filter. I would suggest removing the whole box and opening it up. then pulling the female end out, throw some JBweld around it and stuff it back in the hole.
I actually totally forgot about the filter but then again I'm not a fan of the crappy stock foam filter so I wouldn't mind destroying it and replacing it with a K&N. Removing the whole box is the only correct way but by far the hardest and most time consuming. But a time consuming sure fix is always better then half a dozen dead end short cuts before still having to do it the correct way.

Old January 2nd, 2016, 05:12 AM   #9
vkuchhal
ninjette.org member

Thanks All for the reply and suggestions..
Was finally able to pull the screw out with the female attachment(See Image).. No harm done to the box and no drilling required.

But now the male and female would not seperate...

Any way by which i can get the new female cover so the i can fit in the box otherwise for now i will have to manage with only 2 screws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160102_133009.JPG (266.6 KB, 2 views)

Last futzed with by vkuchhal; January 2nd, 2016 at 05:13 AM. Reason: added comments

Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:56 AM   #10
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
what is the black ring around the gold nut? if its part of the air box plastic then chances are the hole in the box is now too big for a new nut. you'll need to come up with a new method to mount a nut to use that third bolt.

Old January 2nd, 2016, 11:05 AM   #11
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Here's a solution. if you get one of these you can just drill 2 smaller holes next to the existing large hole and rivet on the new plate with included threads. You still need a rivet gun and pop rivets but most auto shops could probably help you out with that cheaply. You'll just have to figure out where to order online or find somewhere local that sells them.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...roduct=MS21059

Old January 2nd, 2016, 11:10 AM   #12
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=6069

you need the M6 size threads which as luck would have it is the only size not in stock.

Old January 2nd, 2016, 05:30 PM   #13
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
Was finally able to pull the screw out with the female attachment(See Image).. No harm done to the box and no drilling required.

Any way by which i can get the new female cover so the i can fit in the box otherwise for now i will have to manage with only 2 screws.
I believe that the black ring around the gold nut is the remnants of the hold down method in which they cast this box. Chances are is that the gold nut or a new one won't hold within the original hole.

Option 1: I suggest taking the original gold nut and apply some JB weld (or plastic epoxy compound) to the exterior of the nut, not inside the threads, and place it within the original hole. Allow it set up, align the cover, apply a small amount of anti-seize compound to the threads of screw, and tighten down. Not sure of the torque spec, but lets be honest, don't go crazy, hand tight to create the seal. And no, the vacuum created by the box won't suck the anti seize into the engine. You'll be fine.

Option 2: Should that not work, or you don't want to venture that route, (personally I would on my bike if I had an airbox still) you can look into procuring a new/used airbox and replace. But, we all know the steps for doing that....see option 1.

Option 3: Remove said airbox and replace with K&N pod filters. Jet carbs appropriately. Enjoy the infatuated 'seat dyno' performance enhancement.

Old January 3rd, 2016, 09:58 PM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
You are welcome

Use heat (700 to 1000 F degrees or 450 to 600 C degrees) and cool both quickly in oil.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2016, 04:50 AM   #15
vkuchhal
ninjette.org member

Quote:
what is the black ring around the gold nut? if its part of the air box plastic then chances are the hole in the box is now too big for a new nut. you'll need to come up with a new method to mount a nut to use that third bolt.
Yes it is the part of the air filter box. will try fitting another assembly all together.

Quote:
Here's a solution. if you get one of these you can just drill 2 smaller holes next to the existing large hole and rivet on the new plate with included threads. You still need a rivet gun and pop rivets but most auto shops could probably help you out with that cheaply. You'll just have to figure out where to order online or find somewhere local that sells them.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...roduct=MS21059

Quote:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=6069

you need the M6 size threads which as luck would have it is the only size not in stock.
Thanks for the suggestions, since i stay in india, the nut cost is $0.89 but the shipping is 83$....

Will try sourcing something in india only if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
I believe that the black ring around the gold nut is the remnants of the hold down method in which they cast this box. Chances are is that the gold nut or a new one won't hold within the original hole.

Option 1: I suggest taking the original gold nut and apply some JB weld (or plastic epoxy compound) to the exterior of the nut, not inside the threads, and place it within the original hole. Allow it set up, align the cover, apply a small amount of anti-seize compound to the threads of screw, and tighten down. Not sure of the torque spec, but lets be honest, don't go crazy, hand tight to create the seal. And no, the vacuum created by the box won't suck the anti seize into the engine. You'll be fine.

Option 2: Should that not work, or you don't want to venture that route, (personally I would on my bike if I had an airbox still) you can look into procuring a new/used airbox and replace. But, we all know the steps for doing that....see option 1.

Option 3: Remove said airbox and replace with K&N pod filters. Jet carbs appropriately. Enjoy the infatuated 'seat dyno' performance enhancement.
Since the nut and bolt are jammed together and no one separate them, nor even WD40.. I think will search for a replacement from the nearby shop.. will try it over the weekend..

A new airfilter box in India is being charged a mere 80$, so plan dropped as of now , until other 2 bolts also give up.

As for the K&N filter, i really doubt their dust & dirt blockage capability as i live in a city which is top 10 among the most polluted city of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You are welcome

Use heat (700 to 1000 F degrees or 450 to 600 C degrees) and cool both quickly in oil.
Will try this option for sure.

Old January 8th, 2016, 08:51 AM   #16
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
If I were you I'd want to know why they are so stuck together...

Put the brass end in a vise and crank on that bolt until you're able to remove it - if it was cross threaded, you'll be able to see that, if it's just lock-tite, you'll be able to re-use the brass end by simply epoxy-ing (JB-welding)/gluing it back into the hole it came from and possibly getting a new bolt to get into it.

I think it was probably cross-threaded, as those brass lugs tend to be pulled out of the airbox when over-tightened, so the only way to break it out, as you have, is probably due to somebody cross-threading it.

In which case - got a tap and die set? Get some Aluminum or Brass solid core rod and make your own new lug - would be cheaper than shipping....

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.