Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old January 16th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #161
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo250 View Post
I.....need.....to......get.......lower.....

Thanks for uploading the pics KC!
You and me both haha.
I think for me I just don't fit the pants well enough to stick my knee that low. I'll keep trying though.. carefully. We should go on a knee scrape run with each other one day and get it figured out. Then we can pick up eachothers' bikes when we drop them Just kidding!

I think I was pretty close on one of those corners while following Adrian, but I started wanted to force it down and almost jumped off the bike just to scrape knee so had to calm it back down. No use forcing anything.

Videos tomorrow guys I'm beat. That was a lot for me for the day!
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #162
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Nice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryosen11 View Post
Hahahaaa---Azusa/GMR is very addicting---look at that sunset. If i would've known I'd of gone as well!!
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #163
adri99an

Thanks KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
You and me both haha.
I think for me I just don't fit the pants well enough to stick my knee that low. I'll keep trying though.. carefully. We should go on a knee scrape run with each other one day and get it figured out. Then we can pick up eachothers' bikes when we drop them Just kidding!

I think I was pretty close on one of those corners while following Adrian, but I started wanted to force it down and almost jumped off the bike just to scrape knee so had to calm it back down. No use forcing anything.

Videos tomorrow guys I'm beat. That was a lot for me for the day!

Thanks for all the time with the pics....we need to get you a whole bunch of pics.....next time I'll take the pics and you ride~~
Cant wait for the videos!!

Old January 17th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #164
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Well, I've got a video of my last half of the ride. It's pretty fun up until the end. The sound quality sucks, but those RAM mounts are amazing in terms of stability and absorbing the vibration. My editing skills also suck, so you'll have to bear with me.

Link to original page on YouTube.

I took a couple of those turns way too leaned over. I think I may have run out of fear of death O_o

Unfortunately, I missed getting the second part of the ride on video from that coffee shop to the second rest stop on the cliff, because I didn't realize my camera had automatically turned off to save batteries while we were at the coffee shop. That was probably my favorite part of the ride too >_<

I did get the first part of the ride up Azusa though, which is a bit long and not too exciting. Just the same, I'll try and get some of that uploaded later once we're out of daylight. On a side note, I'm feeling surprisingly not too bad today

Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #165
adri99an

Looked Good

Nice riding Tif---till the end.....but man that turn like I said before nearly got me a few times.......glad you are okay....

I actually just got back from a "quickie" ride---up to GMR and back home---1 hour.....

Old January 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #166
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Hi Tiffanii! Glad you and your bike are OK! It's not speed that got you, and it's not just too much lean angle. The primary cause of that crash was improper line selection. On many of the turns in that video, you're turning in way too soon, which means that further into the turn you have to turn the bike that much harder to stay on the road. When coming up to a left hand turn, the last place you want to be is on the yellow line even before the turn starts. If you instead start the corner entry from the right side of the lane, you can have a smooth arc all the way through the corner at the same speed, without having to crank down on the bars to tighten up the turn at the end. On that last corner, you were actually well over the yellow line before even starting to turn, and once you did the bike was on the ground. Here's a pic that shows the difference between an early apex, a standard apex, and a late apex. At some point it can be a bit of a preference or riding style, but apexing too early is a common problem for newer riders as they approach a corner that is worrisome to them, and can cause a whole host of issues. (red = bad! yellow/green depends more on the particular situation)

properapex2.jpg

Hope the bike is back to 100% soon, and very glad you ended up OK as well!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #167
ninja250
You are sleeping

Video session! Come 'n' Get 'em!

From Shell to bottom of the hill

Bottom of the hill towards the cafe part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

part 6

Heading up to the top of the mountain from the cafe part 1

Heading up to the top from cafe part 2

Top of GMR

Crazy stunt plane that did barrel rolls 40ft over our head on the turnout! That was sweet!

I couldn't get Currentsea's crash on film because I left the tape running the whole time and it exceeded youtube's 10 minute video allotment. (by three minutes!) Not to mention it's .MOV and I can't edit it.

But I do have Tiffani's crash. Well, sort of. The only time you don't see her on the video for a split second is when she actually lays it down, but you see her slide up onto the berm.

I think the problem was the bike was leaned too much. She needs to stand the bike up straighter while hanging off the side instead of leaning the entire bike so much. That way the stock tires can still make grip. I'm no expert and don't hold anything against me for judging what may have happened. I was just right behind her and saw the whole thing with my two eyes, and Adrian was right behind me too. I don't know for sure though. It was an odd one.

A simple lay down. Much better than rolling off into the dirt in this case. Slid right in without a flip or a roll.
(if you can't see this video yet, they are still approving it and you should check back shortly, sorry for the misspell too was in a hurry trying to get the vids renamed and posted)

Old January 17th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #168
ninja250
You are sleeping

Oh snap now that I see it from Tiff's camera it does look like her line was off.
I don't know why I didn't see that before. That was an odd down. I think there was a few factors at play.

Old January 17th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #169
pedaltothemetal
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): Plasma Blue 2008 Ninja 250R, 2006 Honda Ruckus 180cc swap, 1967 BMW R60US, 2008 Ninja ZX-14se

Glad you are fine!
Just remember to ride your ride.
Fear is your friend too so if you see a dangerous corner slow down before you get there and turn as wide a radius as possible!
I have gone down too and made many a mistake. Just count your blessings and learn from them!
Motorcycle riding is a very dangerous sport! Our club already has 3 fallen riders the last 3 years and they all are RIP! So be careful and ride your ride!
pedaltothemetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #170
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Great videos! Looks like fun....

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old January 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #171
adri99an

KC you da man~

Awesome footage KC---

Old January 17th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #172
Alex
ninjette.org dude

To some extent I agree; the front end may have washed right when she crossed over the DY, but the reason it washed at that point was she was carrying a a ton of lean angle over the DY, due to her line choice. Just another reason to steer clear of painted lines on the road, especially when applying any type of control input to the bike at the same time...

Old January 17th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #173
Ryosen11
ninjette.org member

Name: sho

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR Ninja 250R(sold)

Nice videos.

I didn't know I was in front of Tiffani when she crashed but I heard it and made a u-turn. I was so nervous going up wondering who and how bad it was but glad you were ok.
Ryosen11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #174
iggysmalls
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

i cant wait until i get home to see the pics and videos! I can edit mov files and can upload them if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
iggysmalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #175
adri99an

Red face Lesson is Line Choice

I was up at GMR today and was trying to figure out what happen with Tiff......I've seen her video a few times now and going back to what I remember seeing I could see what Alex is saying but at the same time I did see how she leaned....and it was a very aggressive lean to the point where the entire bike went down with her. I've taken that turn 40 or more times and it is a nasty turn that comes out of nowhere.....her line choice was way off and ALL her weight went left and down the bike went....I think Tiff was VERY confident at this point and that turn snuck up on her.....lesson learned

Honestly--the turn she laid her bike down is one I have memorized just because it is brutal......this turn is one of the 5 worse in GMR...I myself have taken the wrong line choice and ended up near the edge...so Tiff...congrats on shaking it off and staying in one piece.....

As I drove down GMR today I thought about the 2 ninjettes that GMR tagged and remembered to ride my own ride....we have to remember that these machines we ride are dangerous and so we must respect them and their modest 250 power. Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt....

Old January 17th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #176
ninja250
You are sleeping

No kidding man I don't know how I survived owning two 600's.
I'm happy on my 250.

Glad nobody was seriously injured on this ride. I think we had a lot of good support with us too.

Old January 18th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #177
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Wow thank you all for coming out! It was such a nice group of ninjettes It was great to finally meet some of you in person. J.R. and Tiffany, I am very glad you guys are okay and hope the rides home to SB and North ridge weren't too painful :/

Adrian, thank you for being the human gps

KC, thanks for bringing all of the camera equipment and the awesome footage.

And thank you to everyone else (Chris, Mike,and Sam) for helping me with my body positioning!

Last futzed with by 00v_Lucky; January 18th, 2010 at 02:55 AM.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #178
currentsea
ninjette.org member

Name: J.R.

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I think my pride took the biggest hit, if anything. Lesson learned. Great ride nonetheless. Only 80 bucks to fix my fairings.
currentsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #179
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by currentsea View Post
I think my pride took the biggest hit, if anything. Lesson learned. Great ride nonetheless. Only 80 bucks to fix my fairings.
Phew, I am glad that the fix did not exceed to 3 digits for you.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2010, 03:21 AM   #180
Jester
ninjette.org member

Name: Vincent

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
That was a lot of fun. It was awesome getting to meet you guys in person ^_^ Even though I went down, I still really enjoyed the ride up until that point. And by the time I got on the freeway for the ride home, I was comfortable and enjoying my time in the saddle again. I think I hurt my pride more than anything else (Well, my pride and my fairings...)

I drove out to a kawi dealer as soon as I got home so I'll be cleaning her up and replacing what I can tomorrow while the inevitable soreness is setting in. It rode as well as always on the way home, so I think the damage was just on a surface level. Might get a mechanic to look over it just in case.

On that note, I did get some decent footage otherwise (although I think I need to angle my camera a bit better >_<). I'll post some stuff up as soon as I can get to my desktop and stop being so lazy.

Oh, and if you got a video of when I went down KC, don't feel too bad about posting it. I want to try to understand everything I did wrong so I can learn from mistakes like these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentsea View Post
I made it back to Santa Barbara without much problem. Great ride, that curve at GMR really owned my pride more than anything. Shoulders bruised but okay (I hope) --- removed my fairing, and should have it fixed by Monday.

Just wanna say thanks to everyone for a great ride. Everyone was real cool as hell. Adriann, i'll bug you next time i'm in the area for round two.

KC, did you eat all your food yet? aha.
Mamma Mia! !!
Thank god you're both alright.
Good to hear that you both seem to have been able to ride home with no ride demons.
Make sure you try and figure out what caused your dips so it doesn't happen again and you regain full confidence back.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #181
dkstariob
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): None

Glad you guys are safe. I am from Cali, home is in Rowland heights (San Gabriel valley) but I'm in Honolulu for the time being. I have never tried this road before and I am really impressed by it. To the riders that crashed, plastics can easily be replaced (though costly) or painted. It's more important that you guys are all in one piece, live to tell the tale, and have another opportunity to ride this road again.
dkstariob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #182
pedaltothemetal
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Plasma Blue 2008 Ninja 250R, 2006 Honda Ruckus 180cc swap, 1967 BMW R60US, 2008 Ninja ZX-14se

From my experience I became a much careful rider after I went down.
It was 1967 and never forgot it. Was a group ride in Yosemite from the valley
to Grizzly Point in the dark. Scraped foot pegs on turns. Finished that with so
much confidence so the next day riding solo I was still in that state and hit
a bunch of leaves in a turn and lowsided. Had to hitch a ride to the greyhound
station with a will call ticket bought by my mother to get home. Borrowed the family
car with a uhaul trailer to go back up there and tow it back home. Lesson learned!
Other incidents include going into a corner too hot and ending on the wrong side and
hoping no car would come around the bend and hit me head on! Lesson learned!
BTW there was no internet then and you had to learn by experience if you lived!

Old January 18th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #183
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

GMR takes a lot of miles to be proficient on.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #184
samuel913
ninjette.org member

Name: KAO

Motorcycle(s): Ninjia 250r, Ducati monster S4R, 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
Wow thank you all for coming out! It was such a nice group of ninjettes It was great to finally meet some of you in person. J.R. and Tiffany, I am very glad you guys are okay and hope the rides home to SB and North ridge weren't too painful :/

Adrian, thank you for being the human gps

KC, thanks for bringing all of the camera equipment and the awesome footage.

And thank you to everyone else (Chris, Mike,and Sam) for helping me with my body positioning!
I’ve been ridding motorcycle for 10 years. I can’t live without motorcycle.
I use to race in Asia. If you have any question please feel free to ask me.
The R6 and DRZ came on that day. I taught them how to ride every weekend since last year. They have only been ridding less than a year. They have improved a lot with in one year!!!

My album
www.wretch.cc/album/samuel913

Last futzed with by samuel913; January 18th, 2010 at 06:50 PM.
samuel913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #185
iggysmalls
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Finally got to look at the amazing pics and videos, thanks everyone! Looking at the pics of me, I need to learn better body position. So whos going to come up and teach me

Holy Poop and a stick Tiff, from what the video showed, I would've been terrified! I'm glad you are OK, any word on the cost to fix it? 2 Crashes, 2 dropped bikes and a dead battery, but at least everyone made it home in one piece.

Now that its raining, and I can't ride, it's time for me to install the Cadillac horns on the 250. You know, in preparation for the next ride, eh eh?
iggysmalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 12:32 AM   #186
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

With all that adrenaline, I completely forgot that I should have been scared

It's so weird to actually see myself ride. I definitely have a lot to practice as soon as we get some sunshine. I've never been one to make the same mistake twice and I think I understand everything I did wrong. Thanks a lot for the input, everyone ^_^ More significantly, however, it seems my voice is absurdly high pitched in recordings

So far, I'm only down about $60 for a new clutch and shift lever. It's going to end up costing me a bit more than it needs to though, as I decided to use this as an excuse to get those proton flush mount turn signals I've been eying for a while now and I think I'm going to go for a custom paint job assuming my fairings are reparable. Not sure how much that'll cost me yet.

Although all this rain and having to be at work during daylight hours sucks so bad. The cold, wet darkness and my n00bish bike repair skills are causing me some.... technical difficulties. I'm officially swearing off the phrase "This should be pretty simple" >_< At least I wouldn't be riding it anyways right now.

We really did go just in time. I think we got the last day of good weather for a while.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2010, 12:41 AM   #187
samuel913
ninjette.org member

so when is the next ride? My wife is up for it.

Old January 21st, 2010, 06:30 AM   #188
ninja250
You are sleeping

<in for the next ride!

I think Adrian was talking about this weekend if the rains stop but with so much rain I'm sure the road needs a few days to clear up all the mud washed down from the burn spots. Prolly gonna be a crapload of snow too. I always have to buy my bikes when winter is in full effect. lol

Sorry again Tiffani about the damage. Let us know if we can be of any help with your bike.

Time to go drive to LAX in the crazy weather for me =\

Old January 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM   #189
adri99an

I will check it out

Being 5 minutes from GMR I will check out the roads Fri or Sat....maybe a Sunday ride if it looks okay.......

For sure the following weekend.......I will keep you guys updated....

Old January 21st, 2010, 10:41 PM   #190
samuel913
ninjette.org member

Just finished uploading~~~

GMR----Glengora Mountain Road

www.wretch.cc/album/samuel913

Old January 21st, 2010, 11:38 PM   #191
Ryosen11
ninjette.org member

Name: sho

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR Ninja 250R(sold)

Wow... didn't know you had a camera on you. Nice videos! You had to do a lot of searching for us!!!
Ryosen11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:33 AM   #192
ninja250
You are sleeping

Nice vids Sam.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 03:11 PM   #193
diablo250
Crafty Salesman....

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r, 06 sv650sf

I'm in for sunday if the weather is good.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:24 PM   #194
ninja250
You are sleeping

It seems I've come up with a flu or cold virus. Feelin' terrible all the sudden.
Hopefully it goes away by whenever the sun clears up. I'd hate to miss a good ride before the rain comes back on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.

They keep saying the rain is gone on the news but it's still raining here. They're smoking something on the commercial breaks.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:19 PM   #195
adri99an

Sunday--I'm in around 9am or so.....

Bottom of GMR is where I'll start.....who's in?

Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:56 AM   #196
ninja250
You are sleeping

If I feel better today and can get my bike tuned I will be there.
However if I still feel like crap when the sun pops up today, I 'll have to skip it cause I haven't tuned it yet.

Got my fingers crossed. Just count me out until I say otherwise.. will know by tonight if I can make it tomorrow.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:18 AM   #197
diablo250
Crafty Salesman....

Talking

Quote:
It seems I've come up with a flu or cold virus. Feelin' terrible all the sudden.
Hopefully it goes away by whenever the sun clears up. I'd hate to miss a good ride before the rain comes back on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.

They keep saying the rain is gone on the news but it's still raining here. They're smoking something on the commercial breaks.
I want to work for that news station... But seriously, I'm down to ride on Sunday. Adrian, PM me your number and we can coordinate.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:14 AM   #198
pedaltothemetal
ninjette.org member

If I can make it on Sunday I will. PM me your number too!

Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:21 AM   #199
samuel913
ninjette.org member

we r in!!! But this time my wife is ridding~ 9am is too early for me thou, is 10 possible like last time?

Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:01 PM   #200
diablo250
Crafty Salesman....

Quote:
If I feel better today and can get my bike tuned I will be there.
However if I still feel like crap when the sun pops up today, I 'll have to skip it cause I haven't tuned it yet.

Got my fingers crossed. Just count me out until I say otherwise.. will know by tonight if I can make it tomorrow.
kc-hit me up if you need help getting the bike tuned proper.