ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 4th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

Unhappy MANDATORY court appearance

So last night I was in downtown Albuquerque and looking for a place to park my horse to watch everyone cruising and look at and meet some lovely ladies , I had just come from an apartment down an extremely dark street so I had been driving with my high beams on. Well once on the main drag I had forgotten they were on. let me preface this, downtown is a 2 lane road, extremely bright, and on a Saturday night its bumper to bumper traffic for more than 2 miles moving at no more than 5MPH. So there I am looking for a spot to park and a police officer walks up to me and says "are your brights on?" I look down reply "oh sorry and promptly switch them off ". He then asks for my license and tells me to pull over, then asks for my insurance and registration, all I have and are good. He then says "well sorry that's a MANDATORY court appearance wait here while I fill out your citation" This whole time I'm thinking " so I have to go to COURT because I forgot I have my high beams on??? there isn't a ticket but it's MANDATORY court " The thing about this is, the police officer has to show up in court also probably earning them overtime, and the Albuquerque mayor has cut their pay on the first against their union's agreement because of budget shortfalls and I think I am being made to show up in court to pad this cops wallet .

Last futzed with by Kitdog; July 5th, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
Kitdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #2
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I don't know how the laws in New Mexico work, but that doesn't sound right to me. As far as the cops going to court, I believe here in CA it is just part of their work schedule, and scheduled around their vacations. If they are out to write tickets, they are probably planning to be in court. I'm no expert, but you may want to look into the details on this.... it would certainly be worth it if you don't have to take a day off work (lost wages) to deal with such nonsense.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

I don't know, its just really stupid to me. Lucky to me I work as a teacher so I have the summer off. Just seems really silly that is MANDATORY court, just seems weird.

Old July 4th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

Sounds unreal to go to court because of that. Unfortunately I am not making the laws where you live, so maybe the cop can do what he did. You should check up on the rules and then you got some knowledge about it so you can show up in court prepared(or for that matter, call in and tell them they cant take you to court). I mean, forgetting the high-beams on, it can happen to anyone..
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #5
kkim

Is this by law that makes it a mandatory court appearance or is it something determined by the officer??? ...ie, a box ticked on the citation/notation?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Go to court for highbeams on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I don't know how the laws in New Mexico work, but that doesn't sound right to me. As far as the cops going to court, I believe here in CA it is just part of their work schedule, and scheduled around their vacations. If they are out to write tickets, they are probably planning to be in court. I'm no expert, but you may want to look into the details on this.... it would certainly be worth it if you don't have to take a day off work (lost wages) to deal with such nonsense.
If you plead not guilty, they give you another court date. Then the cop has to show..... if he doesnt, they throw it out/dismissed

Oh, and if hes on vacation... he had better written that on the ticket.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Well the ticket has 3 boxes 1) penalty assessment, 2)court appearance, 3) Warning notice. The cop checked the court appearance box. I was looking online and the law says "if NO penalty assessment is set by the MVD then mandatory court appearance is required to determine fine" but I also found where the penalty for "REFUSING" to turn off high beams is $10.00. I also wonder if he wasn't irritated that I "have my sh!t together" I have my endorsement, my insurance, registration, So there was no big ticket to give me, unlike a lot of the kids riding around, I see more bikes towed because of no endorsement than anything else.

Last futzed with by Kitdog; July 4th, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Kitdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #8
ericdrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE Green

What a joke! I can't believe they give a crap about your high beams.

At any rate, my friend is a cop and he told me that court is part of his OT. He also told me that he writes less than 5 tickets a year. He lets the motorcycle cops handle the traffic stuff. He only hands out tickets to people without buckled up kids. Otherwise, you just get a lecture and he sends you on your way.
ericdrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #9
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Kit,

In many jurisdictions, the officers have scheduled court dates; therefore, all the tickets written will have that date for the appearance. So, this may or may not be overtime for the officer, just another day at work.

You shouldn't get yourself all worked up over the ticket, the MUST appear clause is just a way for you to tell your side of the story and possibly not be fined. You know, "Innocent until proven guilty!"
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #10
WOWNinja
oh yes it is!

Name: :D

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE - SOLD 2004 CBR600RR Candy Blue (sportech wind Screen / OEM Sliders)

here in Mizzou my friends and I ride with high beams on in night time... police are everywhere but they don't care as long you have your brain bucket on you're good!

good luck on your court appearance.
WOWNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #11
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

I don't know after talking with some friends last night after a few adult beverages I really find it kinda funny. I just can't believe that its a court appearance, it just seems like overkill over such a small thing. I really am kinda looking forward to this court date though because the judges expression should be funny and my defense is going to be that the law says "Refusing" to turn off high beams, and I didn't refuse at all I forgot they were on at all!!!

Old July 5th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #12
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdog View Post
the law says "Refusing" to turn off high beams, and I didn't refuse at all I forgot they were on at all!!!
Print a copy of the applicable code and take it with you. If the officer fails to appear, you win. If the code says that you must "refuse" and you didn't, you will win. If you're well dressed, don't smart off to the judge, and state the facts, you stand a good chance of winning.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #13
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
. If you're well dressed, don't smart off to the judge, and state the facts, you stand a good chance of winning.
Lol thats the key... I bet when he stopped me he thought "oh another punk kid with a sport bike" Didn't know I'm a licensed teacher who works with high risk elementary kids in a charter school.

Old July 5th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #14
Perf_White_Gt
ninjette.org member

Name: Christopher

Motorcycle(s): Trek Alpha 1.2

just go to the court house and see if you can pay ticket / get some community service before hand...

...screw that cop and his overtime.
Perf_White_Gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #15
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Kit,

In many jurisdictions, the officers have scheduled court dates; therefore, all the tickets written will have that date for the appearance. So, this may or may not be overtime for the officer, just another day at work.

You shouldn't get yourself all worked up over the ticket, the MUST appear clause is just a way for you to tell your side of the story and possibly not be fined. You know, "Innocent until proven guilty!"
I haven't talked to someone who still believes in the system in a long time. It doesn't work around here..... but then again, the traffic judge here is married to the watch commander. Hmmmmmmm, conflict of interest anyone?

Old July 5th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #16
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

I don't know, I'm going to try to talk to some other police this week from that area, if they say it truly is a "Mandatory" court then I might just pay it, only a $10 fine. But if not then I'm taking it all the way, I see this as an abuse of power and being a social studies major I see this a major violation. I won't take it sitting down unless it really is a "mandatory" appearance. the fine is only $10 but there is no reason to have a ticket on my record because if I don't have to.

Old July 5th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #17
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I haven't talked to someone who still believes in the system in a long time. It doesn't work around here.....
I kinda agree, where my parents live there is a HUGE speedtrap, basically what happens is the speed limit is 45, then drops to 40 for about 1/4 of a mile, and where do cops catch all the people speeding? they sit right by the sign and wait for the guy doing 50 in a 45 to cross into the 40 then fine him $160 for going 10mph over. Also a cop from there was recently arrested for smuggling an illegal alien over from Mexico in Tijuana. They act like they are above the law but really just the same as everyone else. The system is only as good as the workers.

Old July 5th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #18
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Looks to me you were "text booked" profiled, so to speak.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #19
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Ouch!!

Ouch! Sucks man. I ride w/ my brights on...on purpose. I've tested them, and they are not blindingly bright, and I rarely have anyone even notice enough to flash their brights at me...I mean VERY rarely. I'd rather be seen, and day or night, brighter lights may save me one day.
That's quite harsh. Yeah, sounds like he may be a Harley dude w/ a thing against sportbikers. LOL! J/K

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #20
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Update... So I had my court date this morning, it went like this.

Judge "Did you have your High beams on?"
Me "yes I forgot they were on"
Judge "Why did you choose to come to court if you admit you had them on?"
Me "I didn't! The officer told me it was mandatory to come"
Judge looks at ticket.... turns to Officer "Why are you wasting the courts time? You are lucky I don't sight you for contempt, I am going to dismiss these charges and I hope to never have you choose to wast the courts time like this again officer or you will be held in contempt!"
Me "Thank you your Honor!!!"

Funny thing is the next Friday night this older biker guy I know who rides a turbo/nitrous Busa was giving this jerk cop (not the same one) grief for riding a Harley, the cop then issues him a ticket for improper parking, for parking to close to the curb there is no law for that!!! Parking more than like 18 inches away is a ticket but too close?!? He going to court to fight it, we took picks with our phones of how his truck was parked and every other car on the block too. lol the Albuquerque cops are getting out of control!

Old July 20th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #21
kkim

good for you on the ticket.

btw, are these the same cops that don't care about those blue neon lights while parked?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #22
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

Quote:
Judge looks at ticket.... turns to Officer "Why are you wasting the courts time? You are lucky I don't sight you for contempt, I am going to dismiss these charges and I hope to never have you choose to wast the courts time like this again officer or you will be held in contempt!"

Good thing the judge had some common sense. The cop was also wasting your time.
Good that it ended like this.
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #23
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
good for you on the ticket.

btw, are these the same cops that don't care about those blue neon lights while parked?
You should see some of the light setups that low riders have on them!!! I have seen some that look like night clubs from the underneath of their cars flashing lights in sync with the beats!!! My solid blue lights are nothing!!! I saw a guy last Sunday that was driving an old 70's Monte Carlo with hydrolics on it with a tv at least 50" flat screen for his back seat!!! I don;t even have a TV that big in my house!!!

Old July 27th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #24
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Update... So I had my court date this morning, it went like this.

Judge "Did you have your High beams on?"
Me "yes I forgot they were on"
Judge "Why did you choose to come to court if you admit you had them on?"
Me "I didn't! The officer told me it was mandatory to come"
Nice yeah that seemed like a big waste of time for you and the court. I would have punished the cop anyways.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #25
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
I would have punished the cop anyways.
I would order him given a "swirly."

Old July 27th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #26
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

glad things worked out for you! i would have died laughing if i heard the judge say that...GO JUDGE!!!! lol

I see a lot of MC with their high beams on, its a safety thing i guess for them here in LA. I guess the rules are different in your state.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #27
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
glad things worked out for you! i would have died laughing if i heard the judge say that...GO JUDGE!!!! lol

I see a lot of MC with their high beams on, its a safety thing i guess for them here in LA. I guess the rules are different in your state.
I would be careful about a public cheer during court, in case the judge doesn't have a sense of humor, but you know I would be cheering inside!

You could always put a headlight modulator on, and it would be a moot point in all 50 states.... at least in the daytime.

Old July 27th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #28
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

ya you're right, but i wouldn't be able to wipe the smirk off my face

thanks! i'll look into that
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #29
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got out of the ticket, and that you ended up with a judge who has common sense.

Quote:
You could always put a headlight modulator on, and it would be a moot point in all 50 states.... at least in the daytime.
Good suggestion. Around here, I ride with my hi beams on during the day all the time (w/o a modulator) and have never had an issue. I turn them off at night though.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #30
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

In San Diego, it's mandatory that you touch the curb with your rear tire when parallel parking a motorcycle. cars have to chock their wheels against the curb on any notable incline.

Yes, San Diego isn't even in the same state, but it should show how ridiculous the "too close" argument is when other jurisdictions REQUIRE contact at all times for a motorcycle and often for 4-wheel vehicles.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote