ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 21st, 2011, 05:04 PM   #1
dirtyrottenninja
ninjette.org member

Name: steve o

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

valve problem

anybody know why my 2 rockers broke on my intake valves cylinder number 1and one of the springs retainers popped off and the keepers came out, it looks like the valve may be bent cause the oil seal for the stem was up some and it looks like i may have bent the valve cause it doesnt seem to pull all the way up to the same height as like the other valves in the head ,im taking it a part tonight ,half way done, what are the odds that i put a whole in my piston or bent the valve stem tube /guide ,
dirtyrottenninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 05:32 PM   #2
planet-beaver
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Vulcan 500

How many miles on the bike? Maybe was faulty from factory or your timing chain slipped (loose) and the valves got messed up.
planet-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 05:47 PM   #3
dirtyrottenninja
ninjette.org member

thanks, maybe your right i did notice the tensioner make a wierd noise a couple times the night before when i last started it ,i heard the engine throw the rockers and break them i could hear both of them at the same time, i have a little camlobe wear on the spring that came loose,which and launched the spring/ retainer , funny thing is though it lost all the loud noise and chatter as soon as the bike shot the rockers out ,it got really quieter and sounded better even though it had a miss from the valves not actuating so i know that those two valves were giving me the loud chatter for sure, this was after 4 times of trying to adjust the valves myself,i know im getting better at it cause i know understand the relations of the turns and rotations of t1 and t2 ie valve adjust process,i am assuming i had a bent valve and that is why my bike was running like crap , it just didnt sound smooth at all,and alot of loud noise and chatter from the engine,or maybe i messed up only on the 2 intake valves? after previous runtime i adjusted the valves and i didnt notice the valve retainer to be missing and i would think that the rocker arms would of broke then the spring may of got jammed by the broken piece of rocker arm and jammed up and the keepers fell out then the retainer launched ?

Old July 21st, 2011, 05:53 PM   #4
dirtyrottenninja
ninjette.org member

oh yeah the bike has 16k engine has 4k , it was installed previous to me getting the bike,i had the bike 4 months or so ,i am still unsure how the vale coud have bent before rocker arm damaged it,maybe i didnt recheck it enough times before i ran it, idk i am assuming the rocker arms broke cause they were too tight or is it possable they were too loose and broke,

Old July 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM   #5
dirtyrottenninja
ninjette.org member

i also notice that the chain seemed to me sorry (timing chain) was tight all the number of the links were right as per the forum ,and after rotation and rotation the marks kept their alignment every time ,becuase i previously thought that maybe it did jump time or bad tensioner , i know my tensioner is starting to make an ocasional noise but at this time it still is operable at this time,so im guessing that one rocker broke and dislodged the retainer and parts and bent the valve ,so know im curious why it ran bad with alot of chatter i mean alot , it ran pretty good and lost the chatter ,im guessing now why was it sounding like crap, all the chatter since the bike first had problems,it went away when the arms broke so ,if they were too loose the would of just jumped out, and to tight broke ,why was that cylinder running bad on the intake side ,all the springs looked original,im gonna go check something

Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:49 AM   #6
planet-beaver
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Vulcan 500

I don't think bent valve was the problem. It's hard to bend the shaft of the valve. If anything, it was something else that broke and then bend the valve. Thats what usually happens. How is the groove at the end of the valve? The ring that goes in the groove might have slipped or snap popping the spring loose and that's what did the damage.
planet-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:17 PM   #7
dirtyrottenninja
ninjette.org member

why did i have so much valvetrain noise in intake cylinder 1 and why wasnt it adjusting right,i couldnt get it to stop making noise no matter what and after 4 or 5 valve adjustments? is the intake valves on cylinder # 1 normal for having serious valvetrain noise? do ninja 250s always have this problem, this was a low mileage motor