ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 18th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #1
gophurr
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE, 2007 Daytona 675

Purchasing a Used Exhaust

So I found a really good price on a used Area P exhaust, but it almost seems too good to be true. I'm afraid that there is something wrong with the exhaust, that it is leaking or something. The seller said he doesn't have a camera or a phone with a camera, so he can't provide me with any pictures. But this is how he describes the exhaust, "the header and mid pipe are one piece that are brand new, and never installed, and the muffler has around 1,500 miles." It is a local sale, so the option of me going to physically check out the exhaust is not a problem. He also said that the header/midpipe is from the Area P standard exhaust, but the muffler itself is the quiet core model.

I am just wondering if I go check out the exhaust what should I look for to make sure that the exhaust is in good condition and not cracked or leaking in any spots. Also do Area P exhaust come in two sections? The header and mid pipe being one and the muffler being another? How can I tell if the header/midpipe is an Area P header/midpipe.
gophurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophurr View Post
So I found a really good price on a used Area P exhaust, but it almost seems too good to be true. I'm afraid that there is something wrong with the exhaust, that it is leaking or something. The seller said he doesn't have a camera or a phone with a camera, so he can't provide me with any pictures. But this is how he describes the exhaust, "the header and mid pipe are one piece that are brand new, and never installed, and the muffler has around 1,500 miles." It is a local sale, so the option of me going to physically check out the exhaust is not a problem. He also said that the header/midpipe is from the Area P standard exhaust, but the muffler itself is the quiet core model.

I am just wondering if I go check out the exhaust what should I look for to make sure that the exhaust is in good condition and not cracked or leaking in any spots. Also do Area P exhaust come in two sections? The header and mid pipe being one and the muffler being another? How can I tell if the header/midpipe is an Area P header/midpipe.
Header and can are in fact separate. Definitely go check out physical condition. Are you willing to disclose the "to good to be true" price. That may help on how detailed you should examine it.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #3
gophurr
ninjette.org member

The seller is looking to sell it for a fraction of the original price, including an exhaust bracket. Does Area P use the same header for the quiet core and standard models? Could it be possible that this is a Area P replica with an Area P sticker on it?

Old October 18th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #4
dubojr1

Quote:
The seller is looking to sell it for about a quarter of the original price, including an exhaust bracket. Does Area P use the same header for the quiet core and standard models?
Yes I'm pretty sure the header is the same no matter the can size or finish.

Old October 18th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #5
dubojr1

This would be the ultimate person to speak to. I would recommend sending him a PM. There is a fake Area P exhaust out there that cost less but I would assume if he has the quite core can that it would have to be a true area p. This is a link to Kerry's page. He is the owner of area p.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/member.php?u=143

Old October 18th, 2010, 08:48 AM   #6
gophurr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
This would be the ultimate person to speak to. I would recommend sending him a PM. There is a fake Area P exhaust out there that cost less but I would assume if he has the quite core can that it would have to be a true area p. This is a link to Kerry's page. He is the owner of area p.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/member.php?u=143
Thanks dubojr1, just sent Kerry a PM. I didn't know he was on the forums.

Old October 18th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #7
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
it almost seems too good to be true.
then it usually is.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote