ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 21st, 2014, 08:54 PM   #1
Geo
ninjette.org newbie

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 2002 ninja 250 2010 Harley Sporster 48 1200 2013 Honda cbr250r Repsol

2007 no spark

Ok guys I have a 07 that ran crappy with iffy clutch throttle and brakes. Before we go any further this is my first time working on a motorcycle but I'm quite mechanically inclined. Any way I borrowed a buddies lift and took the bike apart. Replaced clutch and cable brakes throttle cables yes both. The previous owner had new plugs for it uninstalled he said that would cure the crappy performance. The ones I pulled were an 8 the replacements 7 both NGK. Checked the gap. Started the bike. Fired up as usual twisted throttle and had the same response as when I bought it. It would act like it wanted to die. If you went off throttle and back on it would rev but kinda sputter like intermittent fuel issue only this time it would backfire through the pipes. Shut it down and went in the house for the evening.

Next morning original plugs back in started it up no back fire still ran crappy as first purchased. Knew I had to bite the bullet and do a carb clean. Anyway while the bike was running on the lift it got up to temp and just died. I tried restarting to no avail. Thinking it was a fuel issue I took off carbs and cleaned them set the idle enrichment screws 2.5 turns from closed. Previous own drilled the caps and it was more like 3-4 turns out. Reinstalled carbs fueled it up and no fire tried starting fluid no fire. Plugs are wet from fuel and starting fluid so it's getting fuel. Pulled plug wires and tested for spark nothing. Tested the crank sensor it read in spec tried to test the coils but couldn't get a reading but the coils get warm when trying to start. Any ideas? Igniter? Coils? Wires? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The carbs weren't that varnished when I cleaned them are they that temperamental? I've poured over all types of forums and such but really didn't find a lot about a problem like this. I'm using a clymer repar manual.

Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2014, 02:12 AM   #2
PHMCS
Phoenix Salvage

Name: Mac

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

hmm might I trouble you for a bit more info?

it sounds like your bike had seen better days given the repairs you did, so it is possible that the coils and such could be in need of replacement. Even not, if they look iffy, may as well. You can usually nab some used ones cheap if you need some to test against. you mentioned that you tested them for spark - how so? Have you checked to make sure the wire that plugs into the boot is securely seated? Are the plugs you installed CR7HSA and old ones CR8HSA from NGK?

spark issue aside, you may have multiple issues, including fueling (like how it ran til it warmed up then died). a few things to ask about/check:

-is there an external fuel filter? if so, if the pipe kinked and killing flow?
-if there is no external filter, are the little inline filters there? if so, what condition are they in? if not, blockage in fuel supply channel is possible.
-what is the quality of the fuel in the tank like? old, new, rusty, etc.
-given the status of the idle screws, do you know if the carb is using stock jets? if its vastly over-rich or ultra lean, it will have issues igniting, and that would get better/worse depending on which, as it warms up, and p.owner may have been trying to compensate.
-when you cleaned the carb, was the float height verified when putting everything together? this can have an impact on rich/lean.
-are all the vacuum lines in good shape and properly secured?
-is the small hose to the decel valve connected?

we might be able to start narrowing things down with more information.

To answer your other question, while all of them may not be, I also have an 07, and her carbs are unbelievably temperamental.

Old August 23rd, 2014, 08:34 AM   #3
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Check all the ignition safety cutout switches on the clutch, and sidestand, particularly the latter. Very unlikely that both coils would go bad at the same time.
The spark when the starter is turning is usually a bit feeble because of the voltage drop, you can usually see it in the shade but it won't be Sol 3 with its own planetary system just a little orange tink of a thing
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Geo
ninjette.org newbie

Motorcycle(s): 2002 ninja 250 2010 Harley Sporster 48 1200 2013 Honda cbr250r Repsol

I tested the coils with a multimeter according to the clymer manual I have. The gas is fresh. No in line filter just the factory one. Pulled that out thinking that was the cause. Wouldn't know what jets are installed. The old plugs were cr8hsa the new ones the previous owner gave me were cr7hsa. When testing the spark I even tried to shock myself with it to see. Yes I know it's a dumb thing to do but this was driving me nuts. Didn't check float level due to my lack of knowing to do so. Both coils going bad at once to me is highly unlikely. Just picked up a new igniter on fleabay for 50 bucks. Havent tried it yet. When I reattached everything i checked and double checked all connections hoses and such. The bike ran before like I said. Checked the plug boots also everything seems ok.

I checked the safety switches also. When in gear no starter when I pullin the clutch starter cranks. Didnt check the side stand. It's on the lift on it's center stand.

Old August 27th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Geo
ninjette.org newbie

Well the igniter came the other day. Finally freed up some time to work on the bike. Just for the heck of it I went over everything one more time and flipped the switch. It starts. It's running idling a little high so I just let it run for few to warm up and start messing with the idle. Tweaked the mixture screws and dialed in the idle. Life got in the way again so I still need to put it all back together and finish getting it road ready. Hopefully I can squeeze it in this weekend. I'll keep you updated. Have to get some picks loaded up. Thanks for the advice.