Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #1
KazMan
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): none yet

AFM Round 8 - 500 Twins Race Report/Video

500 Twins Race Report

The 500 Twins race would be my 2nd race of the day and we were just going out to have some fun and race with friends. Our pre-race antics on the starting grid were once again in tribute to our little Italian 80cc maniac so Nick, Todd, Dos and myself, once again jumped up and down, waved to each other and pointed to everyone in front of us, behind us, over the pit wall, and I must say, it does get you a little pumped.

After the first 2 waves left, it was our turn to watch for the green flag and although I couldn't see number board, I could make out something going sideways and I just watched for movement. I got a pretty good start and by turn 3 I was in 6th spot behind Nick with Todd, Logan, Dos and Sarah in tow as we crested turn 5. As we made our way towards T9, the 500cc bikes began their pull away. As we dropped down and around turn 10, Todd made a run on me on the short chute and got inside of me for a nice pass in turn 11. So as we headed towards the bridge, it was Nick, Todd, myself, Logan, Sarah and Dos, with Logan trying an unsuccessful pass on the inside as we went under the bridge.

Coming onto the front straight, I tucked in behind Todd as he sat in Nicks draft however, I got a lot better drive than I thought and as we went out to the curbing, I was already along side Todd and trying to get into Nick's draft. However, I had a pretty good head of steam going and I started to go by Nick. Unbeknown to me, Logan and used us all and went ripping up along the pit wall. This was all fine and dandy, however, as Nick started toward the outside, and Logan was going up the outside, it left me the creme filling in a green Oreo cookie. This concerned me a bit because I could tell that we were not going to clear the end of the wall so I took my left hand and put it on Nick's forearm to let him know I was there. We cleared the wall ok and luckily for me, I was able to jump onto Logan's draft as we went around Turn 1 and with the run I got I tried unsuccessfully to pass Logan around 2.

As we went into 3 & 4, Todd went around me on the outside (hey! that's my move ) and I had to check up just a bit and this was enough for Nick and he shot his wheel in front of me as we went into 5 and I now found myself chasing them in this order onto the front straight. And on the front straight, Todd put a move on Logan, I tried to put a move on Nick going into 1 and found myself agin following the 3 as they went around 3, 3 abreast!

Now what I didn't know was that while I was waiting my turn to lead, Little Miss Sarah has been trailing us the entire time and Logan and Todd went into t10 side-by-side I sat back so I could get a clean run behind Nick into 10-11 and try to do something on the straight under the bridge. However, my plan was quickly foiled as Sarah went bombing around me on the outside of 10!

Now if you can imagine, I now have 4 bikes all in front of me as we begin to go through 11. So in watching all of them, and trying to figure out where I wanted to be, I NEVER saw the waving yellow flags....and as we exited 11, I see Todd, Nick and Sarah all go bombing over to the left side and as they cleared a view for me, all I see in front of me is hay! Hay to the left of me, Hay to the right of me, and like the song goes, STUCK IN THE MIDDLE...
However, whoever hit the haybale must have hit it just left of center and low and behold, there was a little gap for me to ride through. So I just twisted the crap out of the throttle and hoped for the best. And my best was that Todd had taken a little off-track excursion, Nick and Sarah both checked up and when I came through the haybale I had a little head of steam and quickly found myself back on Logan's tailsection as we went under the bridge.

As we went onto the front straight, I tried to get a run on Logan and although unsuccessful, I took 1 almost wide open and got a great run on him into 2 and I went around him on the outside of 3 and had 4 to myself as we went up the hill towards 5.

Now as I cleared 6 and was headed towards 7, I heard the familiar rumble of the larger SV650's so I left a little room on the inside and in a blur a yellow bike went flying by me with brown hair streaming out the back of the helmet and I got a big smile on my face knowing she was in the lead and also knowing how badly she wanted to win the 650 race. And after she went by, I started counting, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, wow! 6, 7, 8 , 9, 10! I think I was at 15 when I crested 9! And in review of my video, the next 650 passed us when we got to turn 14! So the young lady was on it!

My happiness for Dani was quickly put to the side as Logan went by me going into 10 (I will learn to late brake that corner damnit!). I chased him into the last corners but just as I was about to lay over my bike, I heard an SV on my inside and stood my bike up for just a second. This is all that Todd needed as he went by me on the infield side. To make matters worse, Nick had decided he needed to go with Todd and passed my on the inside going into 3 and now I really had my work cut out for me as I chased them both up to 9. We remained in this order through 11 and I tried to pass Todd under the bridge, but he just kept the throttle open as we played chicken into 14.

With Todd winning the game into 14, I figured I better have a pretty nice 15 which I did and I drafted by Todd as we crossed the finish line! And just as I had started the year in 500 Twins, I ended the year in 500 Twins, and that was sandwiched between the Grice Brothers!

It was a super fun race and I got a front row seat in seeing Danielle's win so I exited the track in fairly good spirits! A stop by Dani's pit to give her a hug and then it was back to the FLaP pits to get ready for 250 Superbike!

Link to original page on Vimeo.

KazMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Fun report, Eric!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #3
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Nice video!
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Sounds like a badass race! I'll see you guys next year
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #5
J_Bahhtu
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Motivation right there!
J_Bahhtu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2011, 05:46 PM   #6
KazMan
ninjette.org member

Here was the race from Logan's perspective Looked way more fun from some of his views!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old October 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM   #7
pjed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100, 2006 Yamaha R1, 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2017 Kawasaki Z900

Wow...those are great vids. Looks like you guys are having a ton of fun. I can not wait to get my 250 prepped and take it out to the track.
pjed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #8
S.P.Rocket
Racer Girl

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 racebike, yz250f supermoto, crf150r supermoto, ktm 200 xcw, daytona 675

I hate hay bales!
S.P.Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #9
KazMan
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.P.Rocket View Post
I hate hay bales!
I didn't mind it so much xoxo Kaz