ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Wicked808
Wicked808

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja zx6r, 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250(Traded in)

Help!!! My helmet fell off my handle bars?

My helmet fell off my handlebar and it has a few scratches. Is it ok or do I HAVE to replace it?
http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/...1327305900.jpg
http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/...1327305888.jpg
Wicked808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:32 AM   #2
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

They do say tat if you drop your helmet or have had an accident you should replace it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe you could get it checked at a Helmet store

Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:56 AM   #3
sousuke86
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE

Don't ever put helmet on the handle bars...they slide off.
Put them over the mirror.
sousuke86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:31 AM   #4
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

Provided its not damaged the shell ie no cracks it should be OK

Steve

Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:57 AM   #5
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

I had my helmet fall off from the seat and freaked out too. No cracks or scratches up top. I also felt inside for softness in the inner material, the foam like stuff, not the cheeck pads. It felt just as good as the rest, so I still use the helmet. You should check too. Also, when I leave my helmet on the bike, I turn my handlebars completely to the left and place my helmet on the tank pushed up to the left side of the bars, it acts as great support. got that idea from saxnbass
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:26 AM   #6
Wicked808
Wicked808

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousuke86 View Post
Don't ever put helmet on the handle bars...they slide off.
Put them over the mirror.
Lesson learned! Thanks

Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:33 AM   #7
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I'd listen to the experts at the Snell Foundation:
http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aDroppedHelmet

Quote:
"I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one?"

Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one-use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied, the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general, the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:33 AM   #8
Wicked808
Wicked808

I thought my handlebars were turned all the way to the left....little did I know it wasn't! Checked the helmet inside and out, no hairline cracks on the shell, inside feels safe too..no soft spots or cracks, just the little chips you see in the pictures if you can see it.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:56 AM   #9
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

hm. Anything inside the helmet when it fell? If not, I'd say your considerably safe.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 04:04 AM   #10
Wicked808
Wicked808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
hm. Anything inside the helmet when it fell? If not, I'd say your considerably safe.
Nothing inside. Just put helmet on handlebar and boom...it fell down.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 04:44 AM   #11
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
There was a thread on this when Mr. E dropped his helmet from the whopping height of one foot. Here is what I said then, which echoes @Skippii post above. Key point is that it is probably fine, but you need to check it for damage to be sure, and if you have any doubts, you can send it to the manufacturer for a free check. Any cracks in the outer shell or, after removing the liner, in the foam inside, and its done for:

Quote:
Should not be a problem at all from that very low height, I wouldn't sweat it. If you are concerned, you can check the shell for damage (easy), then pull out the liner and check out the foam (harder). Impact damage to a helmet is for a loaded helmet, with the weight of a head inside crashing against it in a collision. An empty helmet doesn't suffer the kinetic energy that compresses the impact foam of the liner or harms the protective structure of the shell. Check for shell cracks and for mushy spots or cracks in the foam liner (if so, replace helmet). It takes some real height to get that kind of energy built up, probably more than a simple drop even from 3 or 4 feet.

I dropped my old Shoei from my seat, even to the point of damaging the air vent, sent it to Shoei for inspection and it passed with flying colors. Not that I would recommend wearing a helmet dropped from a motorcycle without checking it thoroughly yourself or sending it to the manufacturer for a free test, but from 1 foot I wouldn't hesitate for one second continuing to use it without further thought. Here is what the Snell Foundation has to say about it:

If an empty helmet is dropped a few feet from a table top or the back of a bike onto a hard floor or pavement, the impact management is likely unaffected. The shell may be marred, even chipped but, in our experience, there would be no detectable effect in test results. Unless the manufacturer advises otherwise, one such simple fall is no reason to mistrust a helmet. Even so, such mishaps are to be avoided. Helmet damage is cumulative. A history of clumsy handling will destroy a crash helmet eventually.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 04:50 AM   #12
Wicked808
Wicked808

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
There was a thread on this when Mr. E dropped his helmet from the whopping height of one foot. Here is what I said then, which echoes @Skippii post above. Key point is that it is probably fine, but you need to check it for damage to be sure, and if you have any doubts, you can send it to the manufacturer for a free check. Any cracks in the outer shell or, after removing the liner, in the foam inside, and its done for:
thanks everyone for your input on this. Now I feel alot better and now I can explain to my wife that I DON'T NEED TO BUY ANOTHER HELMET! lol...

Old January 23rd, 2012, 10:03 AM   #13
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

If the helmet was empty, you're fine. I've dropped mine twice. Hell, someone on here actually had an accident, sent their helment in to have it checked and was told it's still perfectly safe to use. People tend to over react with helmets dropping. If it's empty and wasn't from like 6feet or higher, you are 99% of the time fine.
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:52 AM   #14
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
If the helmet was empty, you're fine. I've dropped mine twice. Hell, someone on here actually had an accident, sent their helment in to have it checked and was told it's still perfectly safe to use. People tend to over react with helmets dropping. If it's empty and wasn't from like 6feet or higher, you are 99% of the time fine.
I agree it's probably fine, but I definitely don't think people over react about something that protects your dome. It's always good to be cautious about something that important. And just because you looked at it and "felt" the inside doesn't mean it's good to go lol. I'd say empty from the handle bars I'd feel ok. Down some stairs or weighted and I'd get it checked personally.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:30 PM   #15
Wicked808
Wicked808

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
I agree it's probably fine, but I definitely don't think people over react about something that protects your dome. It's always good to be cautious about something that important. And just because you looked at it and "felt" the inside doesn't mean it's good to go lol. I'd say empty from the handle bars I'd feel ok. Down some stairs or weighted and I'd get it checked personally.
Shoots. Thanks guys!

Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:48 PM   #16
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

If a standing fall from 3-4 feet would damage a helmet, you'd think it wouldn't be too effective at speed.

You should be safe.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:24 PM   #17
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

mine fell off my trash bin. I still rock it. and that ish bounced.. lol it was two days old so it wasnt getting replaced...
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:42 PM   #18
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

Not sure what make yours is but I know with ARAI and SHOEI you can sent it to them and they will check it out for free.
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:53 PM   #19
Wicked808
Wicked808

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilaniz View Post
Not sure what make yours is but I know with ARAI and SHOEI you can sent it to them and they will check it out for free.
Mine is HJC.

Old January 24th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #20
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

For sure in the days i used to race Karts if we dropped the helmet or it had a bad scratch we would replace them but that was 30 years ago. Helmets have changed a lot since then better materials and manufacturing processes.

Old January 24th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #21
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

If cracked or has the appearance of a crack, replace it.
If just scuffed, wear it anyway because it makes you look tough.

However, helmets have a tendency to break other things besides the shell when dropped. Look for problems with the visor hinges and any other mechanical parts.

Old January 24th, 2012, 04:18 AM   #22
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
However, helmets have a tendency to break other things besides the shell when dropped. Look for problems with the visor hinges and any other mechanical parts.
Truth. I dropped my Icon helmet from 2 feet up in the supermarket, and a hinge on the plate the visor attaches to broke. Had to ride home FAR without a visor :<

But yeah, definitely check the visor mount.