ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old August 16th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #1
YMCMB
YMCMBillionaire

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R(Wrecked&Gone), 2004 Honda CBR1000RR (Trading back to dealer for 600cc)

New Bike...

Don't know if this belongs here or not but here goes.

I had the bike sold for 3500 a day after graduating HS met a girl who was at 3500. So accepted it drove home an went to get cleaned and title ready for next day and so I come to light stop look all ways green arrow occurs... I turn and in my turn a white car blows the light and I braked and tagged the side of her car she continued about half a block my bike went down as did I. One tiny scratch and a sore wrist was all I got. Had jeans converse t shirt and Stryker vest and cycle gears gloves and a helmet. So months later got a settlement offer of 3500 took it and had some cash. So today (wreck happened 5/22/13 ) today I went and for idk why I got a 04 CBR1000 drove like 12 miles home just fine. Confident everything I shifted slow and babied it 4-5k Rpm I know bash me call me a puss etc but I got home fine. I talked to dealer and personally think its too big for city and some freeway riding computing to work and back about 15-10 mile to and then again back home. So he said to just bring it back Monday when he's in and he would find me a suitable 600 like zx6 cbr600 etc. I had my 250 for 3 years had 2500miles and put over 8-9 on it. I know my limits and the cbr1000 I gave it has a few times just seemed like its a bike for a racer more than a passenger and commuter. I'm 6ft 3 and 240-250 range but I'm sure a 600 is more sensible I just wanna hear thoughts haha. I handles the 1k very well IMO. Felt like I did I mean didnt crash or drop or anything. Ill put pics of it and of my 250 that's now gone :,(

Old August 17th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #2
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

For people who won't be able to read that (there will be some for sure)

He had a Ninjette for 3 years. He rode it for 8-9k miles.
He crashed his Ninjette. Some girl hit him and it was her fault.
Settlement came in so he bought a CBR1000.

Dealer told him he can bring the CBR 1000 back and swap it for a 600cc if he wants.

He's 6'3" and 240-250lbs.

He says CBR feels fine. He drove it home with no problems but it's not a great commuter. 600 might be more suitable.

He wants your opinion on this.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 17th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #3
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

That sucks - that you crashed. Congrats on the new bike, even if you are thinking about exchanging it soon.

I think I would switch out to a 600 instead imho. I find it a little more fun. You get to shift a lot if you want to. I short shift a lot and keep it in low revs, or drop down a gear or two for some scrappy engine fun.

This is my thoughts on liter bikes - too fast for the street to have very much fun. Unless you like running from the cops. I had a ZX10R. It was great, tons of torque very mellow bike. But to have high revs or shift at all - you are going way too fast all of a sudden. I found that driving around in 2nd gear all the time at low revs wasn't very much fun for me.

1000s are nice and fun though, just not for me. Some people like just low revving around and then destroying anything on the road without any trouble. They are pretty cool.

If I was rich - a WR250R, Ninja 300, Ninja ZX6R, and a Ninja ZX10R (along with a few other bikes). But to have only one - I love my ZX6R. I went from a 300 back to a 600 and I'm loving it. I think you would too.

What don't you like about your CBR1000 specifically? Maybe that will help when people give you some ideas of what to do next.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #4
YMCMB
YMCMBillionaire

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R(Wrecked&Gone), 2004 Honda CBR1000RR (Trading back to dealer for 600cc)

Thank you for pointing it out and simplifying it! ))

And the CBR1000 is just too much for my use honestly. And how to felt is me. Low shift at 4-5k rpm. Shifting once or twice is boring and I feel like the bike deserves someone who can use it more etc.

Mainly want something that is fun easy to drive and has less huge pull. I know 600s are still big but far more sensible than 1k. Pretty mic how you felt is how I feel about it.

Old August 17th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #5
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Here are the bikes I've owned. And my favorites out of all of them have been the 2 ZX6Rs and the WR250R.

1. Yamaha - FZ6 - 2004
2. Kawasaki - ZX-6RR - 2004
3. Kawasaki - 250R - 2009
4. Kawasaki - ER-6N - 2009
5. Kawasaki - ZX-10R - 2008
6. Yamaha - R6 - 2008
7. Yamaha - WR250R - 2010
8. Yamaha - FZ8 - 2011
9. Kawasaki - 300R - 2013
10. Kawasaki - ZX6R - 2011 (Current bike)

Old August 17th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #6
YMCMB
YMCMBillionaire

Nice nice I've only driven my old 08 250 and a 2011 250 for my younger bro to deliver for dealer to him. And now this 04 CBR1000. This bike sounds so amazing haha but when in 1st at stop in clutch and brake engaged and rev to about 4k it has a tiny pull haha.

I'm thinking CBR600 or ZX6R or GSXR600 all 05+ I've sat on em all and feel comfy enough and feel right and suitable.

Old August 17th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #7
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMCMB View Post
Thank you for pointing it out and simplifying it! ))

And the CBR1000 is just too much for my use honestly. And how to felt is me. Low shift at 4-5k rpm. Shifting once or twice is boring and I feel like the bike deserves someone who can use it more etc.

Mainly want something that is fun easy to drive and has less huge pull. I know 600s are still big but far more sensible than 1k. Pretty mic how you felt is how I feel about it.
No problem. I completely understand where you're coming from on this. 600s are still a little much, but like you said, far more sensible than a 1k.

I really think you'd like a 600. Make sure (if you go the 600 route) that you like the ergonomics. I found the R6 to be to track oriented and not street riding comfortable, it was not for me.

Sounds like Honda's are the most comfy and Kawasaki's coming in 2nd or 3rd. Suzuki has some comfortable 600s too, but I have never had/tried one. Read some reviews on years and comfort on the streets.

Old August 17th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #8
YMCMB
YMCMBillionaire

So the ZX6R is pretty good? Handles well and with a right mind and gear and not gunning it just cruising and going through city rides to and from work as occasional rides to mall it'll do just fine without being too sensitive and "pulling" as a 1k? Cause this CBR you roll and it'll answer back with accelleration like you wanna take off.

Old August 17th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #9
YMCMB
YMCMBillionaire

Agree on R6 it's an aggressive sitting style (to me anyways) more of an angled lean. The CBR persoanlly is more balanced and suitable. Zx6R is pretty nice too.

I'm between a ZX6R and a CBR600

Old August 17th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #10
YMCMB
YMCMBillionaire

Plus my friend she loves going for rides and a 250 I had to hammer that a few times to get balanced with my weight and her (she's light but two people was I think hard on engine) so I think a 600 would do it with less wear and would probably have far less hard work on it than on a 250 or 300

Old August 17th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #11
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

I think you would like a 600 for your use. It sounds a lot like what I use my bike for too. Some extra power when you need it (in comparison to the 250), but not too much (like the 1000). It's like a happy medium to me.

When cruising with your friend you won't have to flog it so hard.

In the city you can keep it in 3rd or 4th or 5th. And the revs and pull will be mellow.

It's not too sensitive like the liter bike to me. You can still get it to take off like a jet, but it needs higher revs to do it off a stop. But yeah the liter bikes have that insane pull with all that torque. It's addictive for sure.

Between the CBR600 and the ZX6R I've heard the Honda is the most practical and comfortable for the streets. Either will be nice though. And the GSXR is described as sitting down in the bike and some people really like that too.

Last futzed with by c-dog; August 18th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Old August 17th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #12
YMCMB
YMCMBillionaire

Yeah I like the sound of it is all honestly I think of it like this... When will I need 4-500 of those CCs? When will I ever need to go race fast?
I don't keep up i ride with others but in MY limits.
Yeah I read the "sit down" reviews too and also about an A B and C switch on the 07-08 model of Gixxer.

I think CBR or ZX whichever ill do fine with. I know respect the bike and its only as fast as you make it. I learned from my wreck to LOOK at ALL times and not rely on a person seeing the red light.

I'm surprised I didn't get scrapes or cuts with only jeans a t shirt and icon Stryker vest gloves and converse. My jeans didnt even get frayed and I slid a good 2-5 feet. I only paid 2800 for bike got to keep my HODs and MGP exhaust and got 3500 still ha.

Old August 17th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #13
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I think CBR or ZX whichever ill do fine with. I know respect the bike and its only as fast as you make it. I learned from my wreck to LOOK at ALL times and not rely on a person seeing the red light.
That is a good way to look at it. Having restraint is important like you said. I try to only go 5-10 over the speed limit.

On red lights and going through intersections I slow down and look a lot too. Some people blow through the red light - just like you had happen. Some people are just bad drivers, it's pretty scary. I feel like I have to look out for me and everyone else on the road all the time.

Old August 17th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #14
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Yeah I read the "sit down" reviews too and also about an A B and C switch on the 07-08 model of Gixxer.
Yeah I'm a little jealous of some of the new features on the Suzuki. I like the power mode idea a lot. And traction control is nice to have. ABS is cool but I'm not as disappointed that I don't have.

Quote:
Yeah I like the sound of it is all honestly I think of it like this... When will I need 4-500 of those CCs? When will I ever need to go race fast?
I don't keep up i ride with others but in MY limits.
I don't get into races and ride within my limits too. I let people in Mazda Speeds, Civics, etc. think they are the fastest thing in the world and crushed a 600. I laugh in my helmet and say to myself "I didn't know we were racing".

Old August 17th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #15
YMCMB
YMCMBillionaire

LMAO at civic part I agree I love the ones with an exhaust and primer paint at the lights... One today on the liter came all vrmmmmmmm beside me staring me down I revved it twice he looke away and turned I was like LOL. But yes I think ill go the 600 Route. Less torque and insane power. It sounds just right.

Old August 17th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #16
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
good that you're between the cbr600rr and the zx-6r (636?) because those are the most comfortable on the street in my opinion. I'm personally torn between the two when my insurance goes down in a few years (yes you can destroy your insurance rates on a 250 and then have to financially get a 300 instead of a supersport Q_Q except the 300 is awesome) both have great power bands with a more comfortable transition into power than say an r6 or a gsxr600. and they're the most beautiful with the undertail exhaust (I personally really like that, simplifies the styling of the bike)

best of luck with your decision, and hey if you defect to honda remember than an f4i has much cheaper insurance rates for the same engine power as the rr while being a much more comfortable commuter (basically from the sound of it the perfect bike for you)
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 03:41 AM   #17
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Old August 17th, 2013, 04:13 AM   #18
aeroblade
Doh!

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
For people who won't be able to read that (there will be some for sure)

He had a Ninjette for 3 years. He rode it for 8-9k miles.
He crashed his Ninjette. Some girl hit him and it was her fault.
Settlement came in so he bought a CBR1000.

Dealer told him he can bring the CBR 1000 back and swap it for a 600cc if he wants.

He's 6'3" and 240-250lbs.

He says CBR feels fine. He drove it home with no problems but it's not a great commuter. 600 might be more suitable.

He wants your opinion on this.
Thanks @Gurk lol, definitely saved me a lotta time and confusion...

@YMCMB Congrats on the new wheels anyway.

Old August 17th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #19
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
And how to felt is me.
I wish I would have come up with that.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #20
YMCMB
YMCMBillionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
I wish I would have come up with that.
I love iPhone auto correct too. Try it sometime.

Old August 18th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #21
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
I love iPhone auto correct too. Try it sometime.
Android autocorrect here for my phone. I love autocorrect mistakes. Very entertaining.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #22
YMCMB
YMCMBillionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
Android autocorrect here for my phone. I love autocorrect mistakes. Very entertaining.

Haha I think I meant to say I felt the same way. Or something similar and it autocorrected the words. XD I had a bad AutoCorrect to an ex lmao. It went horrible

Old August 18th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it's fun to stay at the... Y-M-C...MB?

Old August 19th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #24
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

CBR600RR vs ZX6R is a hard choice........... Also one where you can't really go wrong. I don't think any 600 supersport is going to be great for commuting though. My F4i is less aggressive than the newer crop of supersport bikes but it is a lot more demanding to ride at all times than my 500. For short trips around town and what not it's a lot easier and sometimes even more fun to hop on the 500 and go because it's so easy to ride and not insanely powerful.

Oh and the one thing nobody tells you about, these bikes run HOT. Average running temp when you're moving on a 75 degree day is ~175 degrees, and it will take a little while to heat up when you're stopped, but in traffic my CBR does get up to 220-230 degrees. On a 90+ degree day the bike doesn't get under 190 degrees going 70mph and sits at 225-230 in traffic, it is NOT fun. It burns the insides of my legs when wearing jeans.

Oh yeah I shift at 4-5k on the 600 too, unless I'm being an ass, but I shift at roughly the same rpms on my 500 too so I'm used to it unlike someone on a higher revving 250.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #25
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

It will depend on the years really.

In my opinion regarding these two bikes:
13' zx6r > 08' CBR > 04-06' zx6r > 10-12' zx6r > 13' cbr > all other cbr

My opinion is based off someone who is looking for a bike that works well on the street, but is also a great track bike. It's a bike that needs to be able to ride everyday in all weather (minus snow... wr250r for that). It needs to be an aggressive riding position bike that is still comfortable. Must be reliable and have easily available parts.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #26
KawiKid860

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
My opinion is based off someone who is looking for a bike that works well on the street, but is also a great track bike. It's a bike that needs to be able to ride everyday in all weather (minus snow... wr250r for that). It needs to be an aggressive riding position bike that is still comfortable. Must be reliable and have easily available parts.
You basically just described the F4i

Old August 20th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #27
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
You basically just described the F4i
F4i is very upright, heavy (higher center of gravity), low gearing, ugly (imo), poor brakes, and fairly annoying to work on.

It's not as good a sport touring bike as a 650r/sv650, and it's not as good as a sport bike as a cbr600rr/zx6r/r6. While it's not bad at any one thing, it's not great at any one thing either imo.

Yes, I've ridden one (04). Good friend of mine used to have one. He replaced it with an 06' R6

Old August 20th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #28
KawiKid860

Lol. It's hardly upright, it is a pure supersport, not a sport touring machine, just not as aggressive as the newer crop of bikes. The brakes are surprisingly good and SS lines + HH pads would fix any complaints anyways. Most people turn better lap times on F4i's than 600RRs as well. It just tends to have a reputation as a "sport touring" bike because it was replaced with something more aggressive and then given an ugly banana seat.

To each their own though.

Old August 20th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #29
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Lol. It's hardly upright, it is a pure supersport, not a sport touring machine, just not as aggressive as the newer crop of bikes. The brakes are surprisingly good and SS lines + HH pads would fix any complaints anyways. Most people turn better lap times on F4i's than 600RRs as well. It just tends to have a reputation as a "sport touring" bike because it was replaced with something more aggressive and then given an ugly banana seat.

To each their own though.
I don't believe more people would give a better lap time on an F4i compared to a cbr600rr... what evidence leads you to this conclusion? MAYBE the lower gearing would help a novice rider stay in the power band.. but even that's a stretch of a call.

The 04 I rode had terrible brake fade and overall spongy feel. The cbr600rr I test rode before buying my zx6r had amazing brakes even stock.

This is why there are so many types of bikes. It's a great middle between sport and touring, but I classify it more as a sport touring bike (upright seating compared to true supersports, low gearing, and heavy). Not trying to insult anyone or their bikes, just giving my opinion.

Old August 20th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #30
KawiKid860

Research, comparisons and peoples testimonials who have/do own both bikes are what lead me to believe that. I guess it should be noted that those arguments were from the early days of the 600RR so the differences weren't as large as they would be now.

Why do you like longer gearing? Shorter gearing is definitely better for the street and being able to do 70mph in first gear seems like plenty to me. My brakes are spongy but it's a 12 year old bike in not so great condition + I have warped rotors lol so I figured that probably had something to do with it. Brake feel is still quite a bit better than the wooden brakes on my Ninja, before the pulsing starts to kick in at lower speeds.

I just think the F4i is a lot closer to the supersport line than most people give it credit for. The CBR600F line is all there was before the RRs, and they pretty much dominated everything else throughout the 80s and 90s.

The Ninja 500R is my main comparison though... talk about **** brakes lol. + it's a lot more upright (250 esque, maybe a tiny bit more), couch springs for suspension, waaaaaaaay shorter gearing, etc. The F4i feels like a precision machine to me and I've yet to ride anything newer.

I'm not offended or anything, I just get defensive over the bikes that own lol. Thread officially derailed...

Old August 20th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #31
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Research, comparisons and peoples testimonials who have/do own both bikes are what lead me to believe that. I guess it should be noted that those arguments were from the early days of the 600RR so the differences weren't as large as they would be now.

Why do you like longer gearing? Shorter gearing is definitely better for the street and being able to do 70mph in first gear seems like plenty to me. My brakes are spongy but it's a 12 year old bike in not so great condition + I have warped rotors lol so I figured that probably had something to do with it. Brake feel is still quite a bit better than the wooden brakes on my Ninja, before the pulsing starts to kick in at lower speeds.

I just think the F4i is a lot closer to the supersport line than most people give it credit for. The CBR600F line is all there was before the RRs, and they pretty much dominated everything else throughout the 80s and 90s.

The Ninja 500R is my main comparison though... talk about **** brakes lol. + it's a lot more upright (250 esque, maybe a tiny bit more), couch springs for suspension, waaaaaaaay shorter gearing, etc. The F4i feels like a precision machine to me and I've yet to ride anything newer.

I'm not offended or anything, I just get defensive over the bikes that own lol. Thread officially derailed...
Makes me feel old. I kept referring to a bike from 2004 and considered it relatively new. 10 years.... I guess it's not fair to compare to actual 'modern' sport bikes. Very possible back 10-14 years ago things were different.

"wooden brakes on my Ninja" haha so true! Kawi didn't even fix the stock brakes on the 300r...

Original poster: All bikes are awesome, get what you think is the most awesome.
/threadbackonrails