ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old August 18th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #1
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Tyre dilemma; thoughts?

So my rear tyre got a hole in it while on a group ride today. Luckily one of the guys had a plug kit and pump with him, so it's patched up at the moment. I am going to be moving up to Tennessee next week (about 725 miles) and am riding the bike up. As such, I need a new rear tyre; my front is cracking, so I'm going to replace it as well. I have two options, and I'm not sure which to go with. I was hoping someone here would be able to help me out or give me some insight/opinions.

Option 1: I have a Bridgestone BT-023 (sport touring) front with a date code from mid-2010; so the tyre is 3 years old now already. It came on the bike when I bought it, and I put sport tyres on it shortly after I purchased the bike due to the type of riding I do. The tyre has plenty of tread left. I'd need to get a rear locally, which runs about $150 after tax. The pro is that I already have the front, they are sport touring so they'd last longer (and I commute on the bike, so I usually burn through about 3 sets of tyres a year), and probably won't square them off too much on the way up to Tennessee. Cons: Not as much grip as sport tyres; I can get a slightly used set of tires for the same price I'd buy the rear for, and I'm not sure a 3 year old tyre is safe to ride on (it's been sitting in my spare bedroom for a year and a half).

Option 2: I have a mechanic friend who has a set of Bridgestone BT-016 (sport tyres) that are slightly used with about 600 miles on them. He's willing to sell them to me for $150 for both front and rear. Pros: Newer tyres, sport tyres so they have more grip for the type of riding I normally do. Same price for the set as just the rear of the 023s. Cons: Will probably square them off a decent amount on my trip up to Tennessee.

Old August 18th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I'd check option three first... An pack the three year old tire for a spare in tn. It is most likely fine just being a three year old tire, I have def had older tires that were great for a lot longer sitting around. two for the price of one on low mile tires is the way I would go if I could manage it.

Old August 18th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #3
saxnbass

Option three is an offshoot of Option 1. Go with option 1, put the BT-023s on the bike for the trip. When I get up there I'll have those taken off and put a set of Pirellis on the bike and sell the BT-023s.

Old August 19th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #4
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

If money is really an issue, option 2 sounds like it might be a solid option if he's including installation in that $150. Just double check to make sure the previous owner didn't abuse the tires too much.

If it's not, check out some Pilot Power 3's. Seems almost everyone I know who rides has been getting them and swearing by their grip/longevity.

As a side note: My 636 came with BT-20s and I've not been at all impressed. After about 3,000 miles of mostly normal riding, the rear is cooked already. Even my Rosso II's lasted twice as long with VERY aggressive riding and track days.

TIP: If you're worried about squaring off tires, increase your pressure a bit (+2 psi each) before your long trip. Don't exceed the maximum rating for your tires, but doing this will help keep them in better shape for the long trip. It will reduce your grip a bit, but not too noticeable unless you're riding really aggressively.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
So my rear tyre got a hole in it while on a group ride today. Luckily one of the guys had a plug kit and pump with him, so it's patched up at the moment............
Consider one (or two) flat tire during your move; don't depend on others for an emergency repair on the road.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #6
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I would go with option 2 and sell option 1 to recoup the cost of option 2.

A handful of the riders I ride with run the BT-16/BT-23 combo on their sports bike to get equal wear so that both tires can be replaced at once.

Old August 20th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #7
saxnbass

Got the BT-016s put on yesterday.