ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 15th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #1
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Question Two questions about power mods

1. Is there a set formula for which carb jets to use for specific parts combinations? Like since I finally got the Two Bros carbon full system, I want to combine it with the K&N air and oil filters with Royal Purple oil, and maybe the airbox/snorkel modification recommended by the DynoJet kit. Which jets should be used?

2. Exhaust wrapping or ceramic coating. Is it worth it on the 250, especially on an the 2Bros full system? Does it make the bike at least feel like its running cooler when the summer temperatures finally get here to Texas?
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #2
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
1. Is there a set formula for which carb jets to use for specific parts combinations? Like since I finally got the Two Bros carbon full system, I want to combine it with the K&N air and oil filters with Royal Purple oil, and maybe the airbox/snorkel modification recommended by the DynoJet kit. Which jets should be used?

2. Exhaust wrapping or ceramic coating. Is it worth it on the 250, especially on an the 2Bros full system? Does it make the bike at least feel like its running cooler when the summer temperatures finally get here to Texas?
Oil filters and oil has nothing to do with your jets.

Old April 15th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #3
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Oil filters and oil has nothing to do with your jets.
Dyno tests have proven that oils like Royal Purple have less friction, and free up some horsepower, not much, but even 1HP is a noticeable gain on a small bike like this.

That means the carb and jet settings (or EFI mapping on injected bikes) COULD need to be changed to accommodate the higher horsepower potential.

Old April 15th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #4
fishdip

Quote:
Dyno tests have proven that oils like Royal Purple have less friction, and free up some horsepower, not much, but even 1HP is a noticeable gain on a small bike like this.

That means the carb and jet settings (or EFI mapping on injected bikes) COULD need to be changed to accommodate the higher horsepower potential.
Any links to said dyno test?

Old April 15th, 2015, 05:32 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Royal purple is a waste of money and will not make any difference at all for power unless you switched from something like ... vegetable oil or something 100k miles old.

covering your headers will make the bike run hotter.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 15th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #6
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
you may see gains in HP on an 8 cylinder high displacement engine, but a 2 cylinder 250, no.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #7
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Some oils, like Motul 300V, can give a power-gain up to 3% (even on a 2-cylinder).
But also please keep in mind, that Motul 300V is a real racing-oil though it's declared as street legal.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #8
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Some oils, like Motul 300V, can give a power-gain up to 3% (even on a 2-cylinder).
But also please keep in mind, that Motul 300V is a real racing-oil though it's declared as street legal.
Once more any actual test done? not just words on the bottle?

Old April 15th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #9
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Google. Bing. Dogpile.

Old April 15th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #10
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
Once more any actual test done? not just words on the bottle?
OK, I have to admit that my numer of 3%, taken from the talk in german forums may have been a little bit to hopeful, so take this from the Motul-Webiste: ...300V Factory Line Road Racing gives a power increase of 1.30%...
Link: https://www.motul.com/de/en/about/30...tion-lubricant

By the way there are many sites in the www where one could find things like this by himself/herself (if one wants).

Old April 15th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #11
fishdip

Quote:
OK, I have to admit that my numer of 3%, taken from the talk in german forums may have been a little bit to hopeful, so take this from the Motul-Webiste: ...300V Factory Line Road Racing gives a power increase of 1.30%...

By the way there are many sites in the www where one could find things like this by himself/herself (if one wants).
But no proof that this is not just marketing hype. And I have try looking for it and have never found true facts showing the add power. remember most of the stuff they can say on a product dose not need to be true.

Old April 15th, 2015, 08:40 PM   #12
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Fish, enjoy the vid

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old April 15th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:

increase of 1.3%......... compared to WHAT? the shittiest oil on the market. that's what they don't tell you. running ANY reasonable oil will give you the same "performance increase" over terrible crappy oil.

Old April 15th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #14
fishdip

Quote:
My only issue with this video is its done by a person who stands to make money off the oil in this test. I notice the car is angel different in the runs. also It kind of sounds like they are sand baging it on the first run

Old April 16th, 2015, 01:45 AM   #15
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
My only issue with this video is its done by a person who stands to make money off the oil in this test. I notice the car is angel different in the runs. also It kind of sounds like they are sand baging it on the first run
So do I understand you right, that informations like this, given from an American company one can not trust, since they are cheating the people to sell more parts?
So what should we think about dyno runs showed from companies here in the forum i.e. about exhaust systems?
Would you say when they need to sell them then we should also not trust in their results?
Lucky one for sure can trust in any such information given from a German company

Old April 16th, 2015, 06:23 AM   #16
fishdip

Quote:
So do I understand you right, that informations like this, given from an American company one can not trust, since they are cheating the people to sell more parts?
So what should we think about dyno runs showed from companies here in the forum i.e. about exhaust systems?
Would you say when they need to sell them then we should also not trust in their results?
Lucky one for sure can trust in any such information given from a German company
Any time someone stands to make money from any product I don't trust them 100% they are there to sell a product. How can a German company be trust? Do you have better laws protecting the consumer and are the laws strictly enforced?

Old April 16th, 2015, 07:18 AM   #17
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
Any time someone stands to make money from any product I don't trust them 100% they are there to sell a product. How can a German company be trust? Do you have better laws protecting the consumer and are the laws strictly enforced?
The answer to your question is quiet simple: Germany stands for 100% Quality and the reason for this is that the german workers and labor, especially the older ones, have learned to use their brain when they work.
But also the laws and regulations are so clear that the rules for everything are strictly given and enforced.
Also please don't forget i.e. about the TUV - which worldwide stands for the best test organisation, just remember the DIN EN ISO 9000 Quality Management System.
Make a selftest and ask you which high-tech cars nearly everyone in the world would like to have (besides the Italians and not the Japanese) or where the worldwide best high-tech machines are produced...
And now please let's stop this off-topic talk before it could become political and not break this thread more than we already did - @Kurgan excuse me please for the off-topic.

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:31 AM   #18
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
.03 x 27 = .81 - hardly worth it.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old April 16th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #19
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
.03 x 27 = .81 - hardly worth it.
Since the ultimate fate of the bike is a track day toy a year or two down the road, every ounce of power is needed.

Also just to clarify, I already know all of you that say "RP oil doesn't work" are wrong. I've been running the stuff for 5 years already and I was able to feel the difference the minute I finished the oil change from the oil that was in it from the dealership with the stock oil filter which was then changed out to RP 10W40 and the K&N oil filter.

Those were the ONLY changes that day because I went out for a short ride to warm up the stock oil before the change, then went right back out after it was changed and could definitely feel the difference. The bike had more power, the oil really does work as advertised.

Old April 16th, 2015, 08:54 PM   #20
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

Quote:
I've been running the stuff for 5 years already and I was able to feel the difference the minute I finished the oil change from the oil that was in it from the dealership with the stock oil filter which was then changed out to RP 10W40 and the K&N oil filter.
Placebo.

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:00 PM   #21
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
increase of 1.3%......... compared to WHAT? the shittiest oil on the market. that's what they don't tell you. running ANY reasonable oil will give you the same "performance increase" over terrible crappy oil.
It sounds like it's result on Formula 1 cars, they don't put crappy oil in those OTOH, results in Formula 1 car are not very likely to be applicable to a $3000 bike. In high performance engines, all other power gains are already taken, so the high performance oil might have measurable effect. On our bike, there is so much of uncorked potential gains, that unless you spend many, many thousand dollars on it, high performance oil will not start moving the needle.

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:00 PM   #22
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
old mobile 1 versus brand new motul 300v. it would have seen the same result if they replaced it with brand new mobile 1. oil breaks down over time

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
also, 335 torque vs 352 torque? yeah. i'm SURE the oil did that. had NOTHING to do with the way they set up the dyno, or any other mods to the car.

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #24
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Since the ultimate fate of the bike is a track day toy a year or two down the road, every ounce of power is needed.

Also just to clarify, I already know all of you that say "RP oil doesn't work" are wrong. I've been running the stuff for 5 years already and I was able to feel the difference the minute I finished the oil change from the oil that was in it from the dealership with the stock oil filter which was then changed out to RP 10W40 and the K&N oil filter.

Those were the ONLY changes that day because I went out for a short ride to warm up the stock oil before the change, then went right back out after it was changed and could definitely feel the difference. The bike had more power, the oil really does work as advertised.
new oil will have different effects over old oil.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:35 PM   #25
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
also, 335 torque vs 352 torque? yeah. i'm SURE the oil did that. had NOTHING to do with the way they set up the dyno, or any other mods to the car.
Sand baging it.

Old April 16th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #26
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

After here so much high qualified answers were given, I want to ask those whose high expertise knowledge apparently must be larger than that of the engineers in the concerned companies, why don't you start a production and give us the honor with the best product forever?
I for sure would buy it

Old April 16th, 2015, 11:29 PM   #27
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Statements like that would have nothing to do with selling a product now would it?

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old April 17th, 2015, 06:38 AM   #28
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
After here so much high qualified answers were given, I want to ask those whose high expertise knowledge apparently must be larger than that of the engineers in the concerned companies, why don't you start a production and give us the honor with the best product forever?
I for sure would buy it
i believe technical explinations. so far only marketing has been presented.

Old April 17th, 2015, 07:46 PM   #29
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
new oil will have different effects over old oil.
The old oil only had 1000 miles on it, the vast majority of which were babied slow miles during break-in.

To the person who said "placebo", nope.

Now, end the oil garbage, I know the stuff works, and it's obvious that none of you have the guts to try the stuff because you'd rather believe the naysayers than anyone who claims positive results. You're so deathly afraid of "being marketed to" that you already form a negative opinion about something regardless of what you hear otherwise.

Now back to my question......K&N Air filter, Two Brothers M2 Carbon Black Series full pipe, DynoJet kit, possible snorkel and airbox mods.

Which jets to use???

Old April 17th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #30
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
The old oil only had 1000 miles on it, the vast majority of which were babied slow miles during break-in.

To the person who said "placebo", nope.

Now, end the oil garbage, I know the stuff works, and it's obvious that none of you have the guts to try the stuff because you'd rather believe the naysayers than anyone who claims positive results. You're so deathly afraid of "being marketed to" that you already form a negative opinion about something regardless of what you hear otherwise.

Now back to my question......K&N Air filter, Two Brothers M2 Carbon Black Series full pipe, DynoJet kit, possible snorkel and airbox mods.

Which jets to use???
I'm no help in case of jetting the Ninjettes carbs, but I'm sure that here in the forum you'll find many qualified experts about that.
Also when you search for that you'll find the following links with great informations too.
Links: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10208
https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...d.php?t=120566
http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...-database.html
http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...iscussion.html
http://www.250ninja.net/articles/ninja_250_jetting.html
Good luck for your project

Old April 18th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #31
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
buy a jet kit and follow instructions on the kit.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old April 18th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #32
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
buy a jet kit and follow instructions on the kit.
I already bought the DynoJet Stage 2 kit, it comes with multiple jets of different sizes, and doesn't tell you specifically which ones to use.

I was hoping that someone would have already tried this parts combination before and could give some actual help on the subject....

Old April 19th, 2015, 05:30 AM   #33
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
i used the biggest jet, and put the washers in the middle of the pins. I have a K/N pod filter and muzzy slip on exhaust. Ran it on the dyno and it was pretty smooth topped at 27hp @ about 3500 ft. Elevation

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old April 19th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #34
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

Quote:
I already bought the DynoJet Stage 2 kit, it comes with multiple jets of different sizes, and doesn't tell you specifically which ones to use.

I was hoping that someone would have already tried this parts combination before and could give some actual help on the subject....
Under 1000 feet run a 110 dynojet jet and the dynojet needle in with the clip in the middle position. I do t think your kit comes with a 110 though.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #35
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce71198 View Post
Under 1000 feet run a 110 dynojet jet and the dynojet needle in with the clip in the middle position. I do t think your kit comes with a 110 though.
No, it doesn't come with a 110, just a pair each of 94, 96, 98, and 100 main jets.