ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old November 11th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Shoei RF-1100 came today

Unfortunately, I think I ordered one size too small but at least now I know. It was tough to get it on my head but when I got it on it feels like my cheeks are being crushed? maybe I can remove some of that padding. It feels a little tight around the widest part of my head. A little bit of a struggle to take off but I think other than that it's okay.

I'll post pics later.
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #2
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
Unfortunately, I think I ordered one size too small but at least now I know. It was tough to get it on my head but when I got it on it feels like my cheeks are being crushed? maybe I can remove some of that padding. It feels a little tight around the widest part of my head. A little bit of a struggle to take off but I think other than that it's okay.

I'll post pics later.

The cheek part is correct IMO. The tight around the widest part of your head though, does it pinch and hurt? Leave it on for like 25 minutes and see what it feels like afterwards. Of course, if its uncomfortable, then dont. lol
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningscooter View Post
The cheek part is correct IMO. The tight around the widest part of your head though, does it pinch and hurt? Leave it on for like 25 minutes and see what it feels like afterwards. Of course, if its uncomfortable, then dont. lol

The widest part of my head does kind of hurt a bit. Maybe it's just something you have to get adjusted to. I'll wear it for a about half an hour later tonight.

but it does feel like I'm giving myself rugburn when I take it off lol. I'm probably going to have to get a Small. This was an XS.

I'll just return it I guess. luckily, I'm in Chicago. The delivery didn't take long at all.

I just hope that a Small won't be too big.

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #4
burningscooter
clutch

How many cm did your dome come out when you measured?

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Heed

21 inches if i recall correctly

53.34 CM

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #6
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

The RF-1100 is very popular. You sure there arent any dealers around you can go try it on? You really should try these things on before buying. Also, have you tried a shoei on before? Maybe your head isnt shaped for a shoei...
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
The RF-1100 is very popular. You sure there arent any dealers around you can go try it on? You really should try these things on before buying. Also, have you tried a shoei on before? Maybe your head isnt shaped for a shoei...
Nope. Too lazy. :P

I'll just have to pay a small shipping fee and return it. Then I can either get full credit or exchange it for a Small. Not sure what I want to do yet, because I'm scared now that the small might be too big but I really doubt it.

I think the shape of it is fine, I just need to try a Small. The XS was a bit too tight around my head and it crushed my cheeks, especially when I took the helmet off.

Has anyone returned packages to Revzilla before? How do I go about doing this? I have the original package and everything in fine condition, I just need to tape up because I opened it obviously.

Do I have to label it somehow?

I got work now, I'll take pics as promised and probably put it on a few more times.

Old November 11th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

You need to get an RA (return authorization) # first by either logging into their site and clicking the return item link under your order history or just call them. If there's a cycle gear near you, they have RF1100's in stock and takes the guess work out of everything. Shoei's have replaceable cheek pads that are different sizes, but remember that the cushion inside helmets do break in. If wearing the helmet for a period of time causes red marks on your face, it's probably too tight.

Also, when putting your helmet on/off, pull the straps out to the side and it'll make it a lot easier.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #9
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

just to let you know you can get cheekpads in varying thicknesses. That can help loosen or tighten up the helmet a bit.

edit: poster above me pretty much mentioned the same thing...didn't see it at first.
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #10
WhiteRice
Kamikaze Squirrel

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r

The cheek pads break in.
WhiteRice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #11
saxnbass

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Yeah they do. When I got my RF1100, it fit perfectly; now I want to get a size thicker pads.
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #12
Heed

Right well here's some pics, I just realized that I suck at taking shots.

Forgive me if the pictures are huge.

It came with a nice little helmet bag. Could probably use it for the gym or something but I don't see why I'd really need one unless I went to the track maybe. But for $400, I'm not complaining.

Old November 11th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #13
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
but remember that the cushion inside helmets do break in. If wearing the helmet for a period of time causes red marks on your face, it's probably too tight.
Yeah, I have a feeling I'd have marks on my head if I wore this for about 30 minutes.

It's like I'm struggling to get the thing put on/off though. One size larger should fit like a glove I'd imagine.

I think I'll wear it again one last time for a good 30 mins.

Glad I live in Chicago, it only took 2 days to get to my door from Pennsylvania

Also I plan on cutting my hair when I start riding and that might help a -little- with fitting. I have somewhat longer hair than the typical guy

Old November 11th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #14
Heed

After wearing it for about 15 minutes (and as I am typing this) it is starting to feel more comfortable, I think.

My only two complaints
1. It does feel a bit tight against my cheeks. It feels like they're being perked up and I feel like I'll look like a chipmunk for as long I am wearing the helmet. I know it's supposed to be tight and secure but it isn't what I would call comfortable. I think my forehead is turning red lol

2. it's kind of painful to put it on and take it off. I plan on returning it.

Few things I notice:

I can tell that they really made an attempt at noise reduction. I mean, I can't really tell you a lot because I don't have a bike. I realize that the helmet reduces noise a lot more when the visor is closed even compared to when it's opened the smallest amount.

It's got that new helmet smell.

my glasses fit fine.

I'm wondering why the visor lifter is on the MY left side of the helmet. Shouldn't it be on the right if your left hand is going to be on the clutch at a stop sometimes? Or maybe it's Shoei's way of saying they don't want you to be lifting your visor unless you are in neutral. ::

Old November 11th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #15
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:

I'm wondering why the visor lifter is on the MY left side of the helmet. Shouldn't it be on the right if your left hand is going to be on the clutch at a stop sometimes? Or maybe it's Shoei's way of saying they don't want you to be lifting your visor unless you are in neutral. ::
Its always on the left. On a bike you are always doing something with your right hand; braking and maintaining throttle. Your left hand only has the momentary task of pulling a lever for a moment. If it was on the right it would be harder for you to do any adjustments while moving.

I have a small rf-1100 but I got smaller cheek pads to make it size more like a medium. The medium and small have the same shell so that makes it fit better for me. 21 in is getting close to a small might be worth a try, especially if it feels really tight on top of your head and then mess with cheek pads from there

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #16
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
Its always on the left. On a bike you are always doing something with your right hand; braking and maintaining throttle. Your left hand only has the momentary task of pulling a lever for a moment. If it was on the right it would be harder for you to do any adjustments while moving.

I have a small rf-1100 but I got smaller cheek pads to make it size more like a medium. The medium and small have the same shell so that makes it fit better for me. 21 in is getting close to a small might be worth a try, especially if it feels really tight on top of your head and then mess with cheek pads from there
nvm im retarded I didn't even think of that.

anyways, I took it off and my forehead was red after a good 20-30 minutes lol. I really wanna try a small now.

the medium and the small have the same shell, huh. fuk. I have the same problem with clothes. Either one size is too big or too small. I think the Small should be ideal though.

is it just all 5'6 135 lbs of me or do helmets make your head look enormous?

Old November 12th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #17
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

I've been considering the RF 1100 for a while as it's the only quality helmet I can find in a nice bright red. Just hard to make the investment when I'm perfectly happy with my exo400 other than it's visuals.

How does it fair in a full tucked position?
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #18
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
I've been considering the RF 1100 for a while as it's the only quality helmet I can find in a nice bright red. Just hard to make the investment when I'm perfectly happy with my exo400 other than it's visuals.

How does it fair in a full tucked position?
if you're asking me, i wouldn't be able to tell you because I don't have a bike yet. =p

Old November 12th, 2011, 02:25 AM   #19
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
if you're asking me, i wouldn't be able to tell you because I don't have a bike yet. =p
Ah sorry, didn't catch that bit haha. Buying proper gear before you even have a bike. I like your style.

Old November 12th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #20
Heed

In respect to size, do the helmets actually get larger, or does the inside just get roomier? i hope that makes sense lol

on the website, it says 5 shell sizes, but there's 8 sizes. i think that answers my question. but i'm wondering if a XS and a S have the same shell size

Old November 12th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #21
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
In respect to size, do the helmets actually get larger, or does the inside just get roomier? i hope that makes sense lol
Usually there are 2 or 3 shell sizes as well as 2 or 3 lining sizes. Not sure if the higher end helmets like yours just size it by shell (which is possible).

Example: On the exo 400, a large has a large shell and a very padded liner. The extra large is still a large shell but with a thinner liner. Because of this I don't remember if I have an XL or just L lol.

Old November 12th, 2011, 02:40 AM   #22
Heed

well according to the website the size XS helmet i have also has a XS shell and a XS liner

the size SM, has a MD shell and a MS liner

so the SM helmet will actually be bigger in width than the XS?
edit: not in width necessarily but i guess it will be physically bigger

Old November 12th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #23
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
well according to the website the size XS helmet i have also has a XS shell and a XS liner

the size SM, has a MD shell and a MS liner

so the SM helmet will actually be bigger in width than the XS?
That's what it sounds like. Probably not really noticeable though.

Old November 12th, 2011, 04:22 AM   #24
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
The helmet shouldn't be so uncomfortable that it makes you write what you have written here. Snug is good, as the cheekpads do break in, but uncomfortable like you are describing is bad. Having a helmet that is too small sucks on a long ride. Try clenching your teeth -- the helmet should provide enough room for you to keep your mouth closed for an extended time without discomfort. If it hurts at all, return it. Revzilla is easy for returns, just be sure to get a return authorization number. I live overseas, and how good they are with returns is one of the reasons I use them for most of my purchases (Motorcyclegear.com is even better on returns, but their selection isn't quite as good).

But the question is what to return it for . . . a larger size or a different shape helmet? You are probably right that a size up to small is what you need. That would be the case for most riders. However, there is also the possibility that the tightness on the cheeks is because your head is round. The RF1100 is a neutral shape - a bit oval. It fits most heads well, but for a small percentage of people it will be too tight in the cheeks even at the correct size. To tell the difference between right size/wrong shape and wrong size/right shape, you'll want to try to fit a couple of fingers in between the helmet and your forehead. If the helmet is the wrong shape, it will be too big in the forehead area while too tight (as you mention) in the cheek area. If you can fit a finger or two easily between your forehead and the helmet -- you need a rounder helmet and going up a size will not result in the right fit for you. You'll want to look at an Arai Quantum or something similar. If the forehead is a good snug or oversnug fit, even if it doesn't hurt like your cheeks do, when the cheeks hurt then the overall helmet is probably the wrong size, and moving up to a small is the right way to go.

I'm betting that it is an overall size, not shape, problem but it is worth checking. Before you return it, really worthwhile heading to a local motorcycle shop and trying some helmets on. If you check first for common helmet shapes at http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm, when you do that, and figure out what feels good, you'll be able to figure out your head shape and what might work best. For most people, the RF1100 is a great shape, so you're probably already doing the right thing, but one never knows. I thought that actually trying on a helmet before buying was so important that on my last helmet purchase (an Arai Vector), I travelled back the U.S. and hit helmet shops before purchasing (and it is good I did, as my dream helmet I would have ordered online was too round for me and hurt the hell out of my forehead.) That someone would live in the U.S. near a motorcycle shop and not try on a helmet before buying is just nuts.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; November 12th, 2011 at 05:49 AM.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #25
blueflash
Recovering Nuke

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Yamaha FZ1, 2005 Ninja 250

If the RF 1100 fits you, then I would give it a resounding "thumbs up." I've had Shoei's before, but went for a few years going with cheaper helmets. I had an HJC that appeared to have a noise amplification system, and the ventilation was marginal at best.

I traded up to the top dog KBC helmet (VR-2, I think)... and it was a lot better... better sound dampening and better ventilation. However, the better sound dampening came by putting ear pads that cover the entire ear... no cavity in the side of the helmet for your ear to fit into. Hence, just try using ear buds... those pads would drill the buds into your brain! I have Cardo Head sets, but would have to put the speakers behind the pads, to that didn't work either... A bit of modification to the liners and I could use the buds, but at the expense of more noise.

My sweetheart got me the RF1100 a couple of months ago. Nice room for the ears, the Cardo speakers were a breeze to install, ear buds would be easy as well, AND much lower wind noise in this helmet, even at high speeds. As for ventilation... the RF1100 is clearly the best helmet I've ever had. My first ride, I was amazed at the air flow through the helmet... on the next ride, I even opened the chin vent (hahahaha) and the air flow was dramatically better still.

Bottom line... try the helmet on. Is should be snug, it should not hurt, but by trying on different models and makes, you will find the right shape. If the RF1100 is the one that fits, it's an outstanding helmet.

It's good to see that you are willing to spend the money for a good helmet. That is an indication that you value your head. Kudos for that!

2005 Ninja 250R
2004 Yamaha FZ1
blueflash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #26
burningscooter
clutch

I cant believe the RF1100 has 5 shell sizes; thats just crazy! And I like the color, will look like @kaiserz and STIG!

I agree with most of what everyone has said. You should get your ass out to a bike shop and try a small on. That helmet is so popular that its pretty safe to say all bike shops have it in stock. lol

Old November 12th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #27
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Like what they said, "get your ass out to a bike shop" I didn't even read all of the posts above, but yeah I'm loving my rf1100 (white + silver shield = sexy , white + dark shield = the stig look, white + gold shield = this coming summer)
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #28
saxnbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
white + dark shield = the stig look
Ummm... The Stig is white helmet with blue shield.

That being said, I was in the store going back and forth between the dark smoke and the blue stig look for my white RF1100... I have the dark smoke.

Old November 12th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #29
Heed

Yeah it did remind me of The Stig. It also reminded me of the 2001: Space Odyssey helmets even though they don't look similar lol.

Just out of curiosity I looked at visors and they are fkin expensive. but a plain white helmet and a gold visor looks sick imo.

Old November 14th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #30
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

when i first got my rf1100, the fit was pretty tight around the cheeks as well. it would leave marks from the tight fit. after a month of wearing it, it's now broken in and everything feels comfy. so maybe you just need to wear it everyday for an hour while typing on the forum. my next helmet will be an arai. those are way more comfy and the lightest i've ever worn. the shoei is nice and comfy, but its a lil on the heavy side.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #31
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I'm at a toss up, I want a RF1100 so bad, but I also want the A* GP-R. Both are about the same cost, and I have no clue what to get.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #32
saxnbass

Well, you know what they say. You have either a Shoei head or an Arai head.

Old November 14th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #33
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I don't do the chipmunk cheek thing... I just exchanged my helmet as well to get a size bigger. My helmet now fits snugly without smashing my cheeks you dont want that...

also its been covered but when you take your helmet off if it feels like "ahhhh what a relief" that means it prolly to tight... thats how mine was, so i figured **** if it feels this good to TAKE OFF. I should prolly get a size bigger. Good luck!
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #34
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_turbo View Post
when i first got my rf1100, the fit was pretty tight around the cheeks as well. it would leave marks from the tight fit. after a month of wearing it, it's now broken in and everything feels comfy. so maybe you just need to wear it everyday for an hour while typing on the forum. my next helmet will be an arai. those are way more comfy and the lightest i've ever worn. the shoei is nice and comfy, but its a lil on the heavy side.
i can't find anywhere where it says the weight of the helmets... maybe do the different shell sizes have different weights?

edit: , it says the weight on Revzilla.com but i couldn't find it listed anywhere on Arai or Shoei.com.

just out of curiosity

RF-1100: 1604 grams (based on Medium size). it felt exactly as heavy as i imagined it would. not sure how much lighter any Arai would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
Well, you know what they say. You have either a Shoei head or an Arai head.

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
I'm at a toss up, I want a RF1100 so bad, but I also want the A* GP-R. Both are about the same cost, and I have no clue what to get.

if it were me, it would depend on what i currently have. What jacket do you have now? how does it compare to the GPR? What helmet do you currently have? Since they're both approximately the same price, just buy the one that is more of an improvement. But I think there is more variety when it comes to jackets rather than helmets.

id like to try this on

http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...textile-jacket

A* air flow textile jacket. it has CE armor for your elbows and shoulders. $179.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
I don't do the chipmunk cheek thing... I just exchanged my helmet as well to get a size bigger. My helmet now fits snugly without smashing my cheeks you dont want that...

also its been covered but when you take your helmet off if it feels like "ahhhh what a relief" that means it prolly to tight... thats how mine was, so i figured **** if it feels this good to TAKE OFF. I should prolly get a size bigger. Good luck!
yep. thats pretty much what my XS felt like. It was a strain just to get the thing on and off. And I had a red spot on my forehead after wearing it for about 25 mins.

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #35
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

when you can tell the blood is rushing back into your head when you take it off you know that the helmets to tight.

massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #36
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
i can't find anywhere where it says the weight of the helmets... maybe do the different shell sizes have different weights?
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...et-weights.htm. Never buy a helmet without checking WebBike World.

#54, Arai Vector, XL, 1583gms, 3 lbs. 7-7/8 oz.
#131, Shoei RF-1100, XL, 1746gms, 3 lbs. 13-5/8 oz.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old November 14th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #37
burningscooter
clutch

^^ its true man. I bought my AGV K3 after reading the reviews on webbikeworld. After owning the K3 for a while, I decided that if the helmet was so premo at 219$, then their high end helmets must be even better, and, its true. lol

Old November 14th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #38
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
I came so close to getting that helmet when I bought my vector. I think Revzilla had them on special over the summer. Couldn't find a dealer that carried it, so I couldn't try it on, though. The K3 looks like a really nice helmet.

Old November 14th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #39
blueflash
Recovering Nuke

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Yamaha FZ1, 2005 Ninja 250

OK, folks... a bit of reflection here...

If the helmet leaves marks, then it

a) is too small
b) is the wrong shape
c) both a and b

If a helmet doesn't fit properly, then it won't protect your head properly, and will be uncomfortable.

If you paid $$$ for a helmet that doesn't fit properly, then you wasted your money.

Fortunately, I see talk of Shoei and Arai, so at least you're all looking at quality helmets.

However, buying a helmet that doesn't fit because you don't feel like taking the time to go try them on is like buying tires for your Ferarri at the Tractor Supply Store. You will never know what you're missing... until you need the helmet... hope you don't find out you've compromised the helmets protective qualities "by accident."

Go Try The Helmets On At The Store.
Get One That Fits Properly.

Or is your head worth the effort? Concussions hurt... trust me. But I'm lucky enough to be able to say that...

2005 Ninja 250R
2004 Yamaha FZ1
blueflash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #40
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflash View Post
OK, folks... a bit of reflection here...

If the helmet leaves marks, then it

a) is too small
b) is the wrong shape
c) both a and b

If a helmet doesn't fit properly, then it won't protect your head properly, and will be uncomfortable.

If you paid $$$ for a helmet that doesn't fit properly, then you wasted your money.

Fortunately, I see talk of Shoei and Arai, so at least you're all looking at quality helmets.

However, buying a helmet that doesn't fit because you don't feel like taking the time to go try them on is like buying tires for your Ferarri at the Tractor Supply Store. You will never know what you're missing... until you need the helmet... hope you don't find out you've compromised the helmets protective qualities "by accident."

Or is your head worth the effort? Concussions hurt... trust me. But I'm lucky enough to be able to say that...
Unless you forgot to put the word 'either' in your sentence, I don't see why part C was necessary. =p

And your metaphor is kind of lame, it doesn't really make sense. lol

Quote:
buying a helmet that doesn't fit because you don't feel like taking the time to go try them on...
How do you think I learned that it didn't fit in the first place? Herp derp.

Concussions? Really? lol. I'm more worried about my head cracking open like a cantaloupe.

Quote:

Or is your head worth the effort?
^Sounds contradicting. lmao