Old September 24th, 2019, 03:18 PM   #1
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
traffic law confusion?

Help me out here ninjette peeps, I'm a lil confused

For background, I've been driving for 21 years. I got my license in Florida, now I'm in Ohio. Mix of city and highway driving for all of those years.

I frequent the Reddit forum, one of them being r/idiotsincars and another being r/ohio. It seems to be the common though amongst all redditors that if you are in the right lane (when 2 or more are going the same direction) that it is against the law for you to go past a car that is in the left lane. They consider this to be "passing on the right." In their minds, you would have to get into the left lane and wait for the person in front of you to move to the right, or if it's 3 or more lanes going the same direction you would have to get behind the person in the lane left to you and then go one more lane over to the left and then pass them They are applying this "rule" to interstates and city streets alike.

I have never heard of this and was definitely never taught this. I was taught "passing on the right" was if you are on a road with say 3 lanes going the same direction and you are in the middle lane stuck behind a slow driver and instead of going to the left lane to pass like you are supposed to, you go to the right. Another example would be if one lane in your direction and a person is stopped waiting to turn and you go around them on the right. Not just merely happening to be traveling faster than someone in a lane to the left of you while you are already in the right lane.

Am I the idiot, or are there just some really stupid people out there that don't understand traffic laws?

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I believe that some states really do, or did, have a no-passing-on-right law, and they apply it as your described. I remember some state that made it illegal to pass on the right, even on 2-lane each way roads, but also made it illegal to be in the left lane if you're moving slower than traffic in the right lane. That would mean theoretically you would never need to pass on the right. That may have been DC, and I don't know if it's still the case.

I did a search for "North Carolina passing on right" and got this:

G.S. 20-150.1Page 1§ 20-150.1. When passing on the right is permitted.The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(1)When the vehicle overtaken is in a lane designated for left turns;

(2)Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width which have been marked for two or more lanes of moving vehicles in each direction and are not occupied by parked vehicles;

(3)Upon a one-way street, or upon a highway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement when such street or highway is free from obstructions and is of sufficient width and is marked for two or more lanes of moving vehicles which are not occupied by parked vehicles;

(4)When driving in a lane designating a right turn on a red traffic signal light.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2019, 05:12 PM   #3
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
I'm familiar with no passing on the right laws, just not the Reddit interpretation of them.

Picture 2 lanes going in the same direction. Car A is in the left lane going 25 mph. Car B is in the right lane going 30 mph. In their view, it would be illegal for Car B to keep going at it's current rate of speed because it would then pass car A.

To me that sounds completely ridiculous.

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12

Old September 24th, 2019, 06:04 PM   #4
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

I think in Georgia the law says not to pass on the right. But it also says slower traffic keep right, which NO ONE follows.
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2019, 03:00 AM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
It's unfortunate that simplistic "rules" are taught in beginning drivers-ed classes. This "never pass on right" is one of those unfortunate thing that lots of people think of as "law" but really is urban-legend. I've even had cops pull me over and discover when looking up codes to cite, that they were mistaken.

In CA https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=3.&article=3.

21754. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn.
(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in the direction of travel.*
(c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel.
(d) Upon a one-way street.
(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where traffic is restricted to one direction upon each of such roadways.
The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway.

21755. (a) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting that movement in safety. In no event shall that movement be made by driving off the paved or main-traveled portion of the roadway.
(b) This section does not prohibit the use of a bicycle in a bicycle lane or on a shoulder.

There are actually more sections prohibiting passing on left than on right.

* this section is basis of lane-splitting as it's been allowed forever for two vehicles to share an unmarked lane of sufficient width to safely accommodate both. I clearly remember our driving-instructor saying this was fine 35-yrs ago when I was learning to drive.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2019, 03:26 AM   #6
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
So, I'm not going crazy here? It seems like (at least in N. Carolina and Cali) that it's totally fine to simply drive past someone while in the right lane in most situations. You don't have to do multiple maneuvers to get to the left of them first.

Makes sense to me, I mean, I understand it's more dangerous for traffic on a fast moving interstate to zip around someone from a middle lane to the right/slower lane, but that's not how non interstate roads normally operate. Traffic just goes at it's own pace in each lane because of turn lanes, side streets, businesses, houses, etc, that people are going to. To never be able to go past a car that's on your left would seriously screw traffic up lol.

I am curious now to see what Ohio says, going to look it up.

Old September 25th, 2019, 03:43 AM   #7
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Ohio is the same as North Carolina and California. If the road is two or more lanes in the same direction, you can pass on the right, plus a few other instances. You just aren't allowed to pass on the right if doing so means you have to drive on the shoulder, which I already had thought of as illegally passing on the right @gantt Georgia is pretty much worded the same.

This just reinforces my belief that there are a bunch of people out there that are uneducated about road laws.

Old September 25th, 2019, 06:28 AM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
You just aren't allowed to pass on the right if doing so means you have to drive on the shoulder, which I already had thought of as illegally passing on the right
I was living in MD when I started driving. It was pre-Internet, so we had a copy of the motor vehicle code in book form. In that state, there was a section that said that the only time it was legal to pass on the shoulder was when the car in front of you had signaled for a left turn. I assumed all states were the same, but I have since learned they are not.

If I'm on a country road in NC and the guy in front is stopped, signaling for a left turn into a driveway, waiting for traffic the other way to let him turn, I'm supposed to sit behind him like an idiot, and not go around him on the gravel shoulder.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2019, 01:16 PM   #9
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
@Triple Jim I never said all the laws were smart

Old September 25th, 2019, 09:54 PM   #10
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
This just reinforces my belief that there are a bunch of people out there that are uneducated about road laws.
Well, we know that is absolutely true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
If I'm on a country road in NC and the guy in front is stopped, signaling for a left turn into a driveway, waiting for traffic the other way to let him turn, I'm supposed to sit behind him like an idiot, and not go around him on the gravel shoulder.
And knowing it's illegal, I'll probably still do it.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 28th, 2019, 12:06 AM   #11
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
@Triple Jim I never said all the laws were smart
Hmmm... what does that say about our law-makers...

Here's CA law that I'd love to see enforce! Never, ever heard of anyone being cited and fined for this. Would be financial windfall for state if they ever wanted additional funding, just enforce this one! Heck, would make traffic move along faster too!

21753. Except when passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall safely move to the right-hand side of the highway in favor of the overtaking vehicle after an audible signal or a momentary flash of headlights by the overtaking vehicle, and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle. This section does not require the driver of an overtaken vehicle to drive on the shoulder of the highway in order to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass.

or this one...

21656. On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, any vehicle proceeding upon the highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in line, shall turn off the roadway at the nearest place designated as a turnout by signs erected by the authority having jurisdiction over the highway, or wherever sufficient area for a safe turnout exists, in order to permit the vehicles following it to proceed.

Old September 28th, 2019, 05:23 PM   #12
CaliGrrl

I've seen people pull over to let vehicles pass them.

Old September 28th, 2019, 10:30 PM   #13
DannoXYZ

Yeah me too, but more exception than rule. For every person that moved over, there's easily 50 others that stubbornly stake their claim to lane and multiple lane-changes have to be executed to get around them. By entire column of numerous cars behind them.

Old September 29th, 2019, 02:13 AM   #14
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
I have really noticed a jump in the "it's all about me" mentality on the road. People don't care that they are holding up traffic by driving slower or concentrating on their phones at lights. It used to be a quick beep of the horn would get them to look up and then go, not anymore. They just continue to sit there while they finish whatever they are doing. If you try to get around someone going slow, they speed up to block you or get angry and ride your bumper after you get around.

In my mind it is a consequence of no consequences, if that makes sense. Traffic laws are barely enforced, and all one gets for causing a crash is a slap on the wrist. It was an "accident." No, it was the person driving in a dangerous way with blatant disregard for others around them. The thing is, these people don't think they are doing anything wrong. They go on social media and whine afterwards, and everyone else has to explain to them what they did was wrong/illegal.

Old September 29th, 2019, 04:57 PM   #15
CaliGrrl

Won't argue with that.

Old September 29th, 2019, 08:00 PM   #16
DannoXYZ

Quote:
I have really noticed a jump in the "it's all about me" mentality on the road. People don't care that they are holding up traffic by driving slower or concentrating on their phones at lights. It used to be a quick beep of the horn would get them to look up and then go, not anymore. They just continue to sit there while they finish whatever they are doing. If you try to get around someone going slow, they speed up to block you or get angry and ride your bumper after you get around.

In my mind it is a consequence of no consequences, if that makes sense. Traffic laws are barely enforced, and all one gets for causing a crash is a slap on the wrist. It was an "accident." No, it was the person driving in a dangerous way with blatant disregard for others around them. The thing is, these people don't think they are doing anything wrong. They go on social media and whine afterwards, and everyone else has to explain to them what they did was wrong/illegal.
I think it comes from lack of proper upbringing. Parents for many decades now have shirked their responsibilities of instilling proper values and mores in their kids. No discipline. They pawn off that task to schools. Which is not proper place for that.

Unless you send them off to proper public schools instead of council schools. I remember my 1st couple years. Boys were taught to shake hands and bow. Girls were taught to bow and courtesy.

If you got out if hand, corrective action was swift and painful. I still have scars on my knuckles to this day. Darn nuns probably had an entire semester learning how to rap knuckles with metal rulers to cause maximum pain with minimal damage!

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; September 30th, 2019 at 03:04 PM.

Old October 2nd, 2019, 05:55 PM   #17
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
@Koala ask the same question on Ohio Riders there are a bunch of cops on the forum that work in Ohio.

Old October 3rd, 2019, 02:39 AM   #18
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
@Koala ask the same question on Ohio Riders there are a bunch of cops on the forum that work in Ohio.
I lurk around the forum frequently, since I find it entertaining and informative. Especially stuff like what Tonik is doing to get ear plugs legalized here in Ohio, but I don't feel like I fit in to the community. I have wanted to post on there again, just haven't felt comfortable doing so. I've even had reservations about going to Mid Ohio unless Chris is there since I know some of them are coaches/frequent riders there. Anything I want to post or know, I just come here.

Old October 3rd, 2019, 03:36 AM   #19
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
I lurk around the forum frequently, since I find it entertaining and informative. Especially stuff like what Tonik is doing to get ear plugs legalized here in Ohio, but I don't feel like I fit in to the community. I have wanted to post on there again, just haven't felt comfortable doing so. I've even had reservations about going to Mid Ohio unless Chris is there since I know some of them are coaches/frequent riders there. Anything I want to post or know, I just come here.
Then you are missing out. I have rode with many of them and hung out with many of them. They are great people but like to have a little fun too. I have stayed days with them at the gap and the track. They will call BS if they smell it... But again they are very helpful and would do anything for their own.
Like I said they would know and there are both cops and lawyers on there.

Old October 5th, 2019, 08:09 AM   #20
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Am I the idiot?
Yes.

You literally just asked about the same situation with two different lead-in's. Either way, if you are traveling faster than someone in a lane which is left of you, you're passing on the right. Now... which one of you is wronger? idk. You're both technically wrong.

Ideally, as you travel faster, you go more lefter. if you find traffic moving faster than you are, you go right. The idea is simply to be moving faster than traffic to your right but slower than traffic to your left.

THAAAT SAID; people in the south don't seem to give a crap about that whole idea. There's no mid-west driving etiquette down here and frankly, despite some above posted theories about "kids and parents these days rah rah", people aged 55+ are more often the ones in the left lane traveling slower than traffic than not. At this point, I will pass whenever and wherever there is a safe spot to do so. Although I have discovered that people respond very differently to my lifted truck than they do to my smaller vehicles when they're in the left lane for miles with no one around and I make my faster-traveling-presence known on their bumper, if you know what I mean. I try not to do that very often, but it gets the point across.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2019, 08:46 AM   #21
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Here are 2 of the codes for Ohio. You can look up the rest ... http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/

4511.28 Overtaking and passing upon the right of another vehicle.
(A) The driver of a vehicle or trackless trolley may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle or trackless trolley only under the following conditions:

(1) When the vehicle or trackless trolley overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;

(2) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.

(B) The driver of a vehicle or trackless trolley may overtake and pass another vehicle or trackless trolley only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. The movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.

(C) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

If the offender commits the offense while distracted and the distracting activity is a contributing factor to the commission of the offense, the offender is subject to the additional fine established under section 4511.991 of the Revised Code.
4511.27 Overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction.
(A) The following rules govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles or trackless trolleys proceeding in the same direction:

(1) The operator of a vehicle or trackless trolley overtaking another vehicle or trackless trolley proceeding in the same direction shall, except as provided in division (A)(3) of this section, signal to the vehicle or trackless trolley to be overtaken, shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance, and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle or trackless trolley. When a motor vehicle or trackless trolley overtakes and passes a bicycle or electric bicycle, three feet or greater is considered a safe passing distance.

(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the operator of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle at the latter's audible signal, and the operator shall not increase the speed of the operator's vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

(3) The operator of a vehicle or trackless trolley overtaking and passing another vehicle or trackless trolley proceeding in the same direction on a divided highway as defined in section 4511.35 of the Revised Code, a limited access highway as defined in section 5511.02 of the Revised Code, or a highway with four or more traffic lanes, is not required to signal audibly to the vehicle or trackless trolley being overtaken and passed.

(B) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

If the offender commits the offense while distracted and the distracting activity is a contributing factor to the commission of the offense, the offender is subject to the additional fine established under section 4511.991 of the Revised Code.

Old October 5th, 2019, 10:23 AM   #22
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Yes.

You literally just asked about the same situation with two different lead-in's. Either way, if you are traveling faster than someone in a lane which is left of you, you're passing on the right. Now... which one of you is wronger? idk. You're both technically wrong.

Ideally, as you travel faster, you go more lefter. if you find traffic moving faster than you are, you go right. The idea is simply to be moving faster than traffic to your right but slower than traffic to your left.

THAAAT SAID; people in the south don't seem to give a crap about that whole idea. There's no mid-west driving etiquette down here and frankly, despite some above posted theories about "kids and parents these days rah rah", people aged 55+ are more often the ones in the left lane traveling slower than traffic than not. At this point, I will pass whenever and wherever there is a safe spot to do so. Although I have discovered that people respond very differently to my lifted truck than they do to my smaller vehicles when they're in the left lane for miles with no one around and I make my faster-traveling-presence known on their bumper, if you know what I mean. I try not to do that very often, but it gets the point across.
Yes, in all the situations I mentioned, a car would be passing on the right. The reason I asked this question, is due to a large number of people acting like any kind of passing on the right is illegal and a cardinal sin. In this thread, we have now found out that in many states there are more situations in which passing on the right is legal than there are where it is illegal.

My question to you would be, why am I the idiot, when it is the other people that are thinking a car needs to hopscotch all over the road to get to the left of another vehicle to pass vs just legally passing on the right?

I'm sorry if my original question seemed a bit confusing, I was considering "passing on the right" to be the illegal situations vs when it's legal it's just "passing."

@snot thank you, that was the page I looked at after seeing the posts here about North Carolina and California pertaining to passing on the right. It's totally legal here as long as you have two or more lanes in the same direction, and you aren't having to drive off the road to do it.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.