ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 12th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

Mounting front radials on the rear

It looks like there are 120/80-16 radials (Avon AV45) designed for front, and I have seen a few posts by Skippii that fronts can be mounted on the rear with the direction backwards.... but I also remember (but cannot find) a thread here or on some other forum that this setup is dangerous in the rain.

Anyone with experience trying this?
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #2
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Can_I_p...on_the_rear%3F

Some info as to why (rather why not) on both parts.

I believe in an absolute last resort position.. A rear in front or a front in the rear is acceptable, but for regular use.. not so much! If you Google it, there are a few who accept the rear in the front, but not many who accept the front in the rear!

EDIT: Here is some more information from Metzeler:

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/prod...default.page#8
See statement 20.

And some more from Avon:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon
Tires Directional Arrows Explained By Avon Tyres
Published by Cyril Huze August 23rd, 2009 in Builders, Editorial and Wheels.
Before we can talk about directional arrows you must first understand a bit about tread patterns.
There are many different tread patterns but there is one main reason to have any tread and that
is to disperse water. (dust, dirt)
A tread pattern can be designed to disperse more water by making it rotate in only one direction.
Thus, the need for directional arrows. The arrow tells you which way to mount a tire for maximum
water dispersal. Another, less apparent reason for directional arrows is the tread splice.
What is a tread splice? When a tire is manufactured the tread portion of the tire starts out as
a long flat strip. This strip is wrapped around the tire and the two ends are cut on an angle
so one end overlaps the other rather than having square cut ends.
This overlapping point or splice offers a bigger surface area to bond together, rather than the
small surface area provided by square cut ends. (Imagine gluing your fingertips together, as
opposed to gluing along the entire length of your fingers laid on top of each other. Like an
angled splice, the overlapping fingers result in a much stronger bond).
To further ensure the strength of this bond along the tread splice the directional arrow will show
you which way to mount the tire so that when the rider is “on the gas”; the acceleration force on
the rear tire is pressing the splice together, rather than peeling it back.
As for braking, 80 % of the braking should take place in the front on most bikes. Therefore, the
front tread splice is run in the opposite direction than that of the rear, so when the rider is on
the brakes, he’s not peeling the tread splice back.
If you are using a tire that has a directional arrow for rear rotation only and for some reason you
want to put it on the front, make sure it is rotating in the opposite direction so you don’t
aggravate the tread splice.
Avon Tyres.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #3
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the links. Yes, I had probably read the FAQ some time ago, but had no interest in doing it, just browsing. Somewhat like my garage (or my life)... I know it's somewhere! @Skippii, you're up! Tell us why it's okay. I guess if you never ride in the rain...

The actual story of my interest involves my cx500, where I installled a radial front tire. So now everyone on that forum is saying 'bad idea' but why go backwards when everyone says radials are better and there are plenty of net posts from people who upgrade who say radials are much better. So I was thinking of going radials front and rear on this bike. Same price as a GT501...

Old April 13th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanDog View Post
Thanks for the links. Yes, I had probably read the FAQ some time ago, but had no interest in doing it, just browsing. Somewhat like my garage (or my life)... I know it's somewhere! @Skippii, you're up! Tell us why it's okay. I guess if you never ride in the rain...

The actual story of my interest involves my cx500, where I installled a radial front tire. So now everyone on that forum is saying 'bad idea' but why go backwards when everyone says radials are better and there are plenty of net posts from people who upgrade who say radials are much better. So I was thinking of going radials front and rear on this bike. Same price as a GT501...
Flipping a tire doesn't negate the water dispensing--look at the tread pattern: it's flipped for front and rears on most tires. Otherwise, you'd hydroplane when braking with the front, which is what you want to avoid.

Old April 13th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
just put on pirelli slicks...

Old April 13th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
I can't find that model here:

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle

Isn't that size too big for the front?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #7
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I can't find that model here:
http://www.amazon.com/AVON-AV45-SPOR.../dp/B005T3DGW2

So I went for it. I'm easily convinced! Excited to try them out! Will give a report when I get some miles on them.

Old April 13th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #8
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Azaro-ST

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/sites/de...PDF_v1%205.pdf

Old April 13th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Thanks; did you verify that your rear rim has 2.75" minimum width?

It is very important for radials to have sufficiently wide rims and proper support for the almost vertical walls.

Last futzed with by Motofool; April 13th, 2012 at 06:52 PM.

Old April 13th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #10
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Thanks; did you verify that your front rim has 2.75" minimum width?

It is very important for radials to have sufficiently wide rims and proper support for the almost vertical walls.
I'd prefer to experiment with my life.

I actually can't find a post/reference that lists the rim width. What is the rim width for the rear ninja pre-gen?

Old April 13th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #11
duckracer
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1098 and 04 Ninja 250 race bikes

The rear on the pre-gen is like 2.5 inches..Yes you can put a radial front on the rear as long as you mount it backwards so the sypes will dissipate water.
duckracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Oops.....I fixed my previous post to read "rear rim".