ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 15th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #1
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Painting the muffler

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the hi-temp, rattle can paints. Simply....want to paint my muffler white but dont want to have to have it looking like a zebra after a few months. ALL of the manufacturers claim their product will work "up to a zillion degrees" but I've never seen a hi-temp coating that didn't flake. First hand experience with one that does work ?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #2
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

You can ask this guy. I'm thinking of using grill paint alike.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...88&postcount=1
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #3
PsHYk
ninjette.org member

Name: Pshyk

Motorcycle(s): 2012-250R

vht header paint should work and maybe even engine paint but for sure you might want to go with header paint because its rated for higher temps...
PsHYk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #4
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsHYk View Post
vht header paint should work and maybe even engine paint but for sure you might want to go with header paint because its rated for higher temps...
he is right, header pint will work fine, i repainted the headers and mufflers on a 01 250 (the first one i had) did the headers in header paint and grabbed the wrong can for the mufflers, it stunk for 5 months, and bubbled lol.

Old July 15th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #5
eddiekay

Grill paint....man...I wonder if that works....exposed to an open flame and grease and all that tasty stuff.????
VHT brand has a good rep too but I've seen car headers with white VHT and what I've seen bubbled after a few runs....which I gota believe was in part due to lack of prep. Hmmmm....
OK...now...forgive my inexperience but better to ask a dumb question than to make a dumb mistake...right ? It's a stock '11 muffler off an SE...painted reall;y nice black....would you guys wire wheel the paint off, chemical and emery cloth...emry cloth alone...time is not the issue...I'm guessing that the best chance of having the paint last is to give it a residue free surface. Or am I making more of this than i need to ?

Old July 15th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #6
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

I have this stuff called misty. I found out about it at my work, its 15-20 bucks shipped but it takes off any thing, I used it to take off valspar spraypaint the oold owner had put on the bike to patch scratches. U could try that, if u need a pic let me know
Posted via Mobile Device
7oxSin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #7
garrisonboobs
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r(sold), 2005 ZX-6r 636

I used bbq paint on my honda haha. Just don't use like paint on with a brush kind. doesn't come out as clean looking.
garrisonboobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #8
PsHYk
ninjette.org member

Name: Pshyk

Motorcycle(s): 2012-250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
Grill paint....man...I wonder if that works....exposed to an open flame and grease and all that tasty stuff.????
VHT brand has a good rep too but I've seen car headers with white VHT and what I've seen bubbled after a few runs....which I gota believe was in part due to lack of prep. Hmmmm....
OK...now...forgive my inexperience but better to ask a dumb question than to make a dumb mistake...right ? It's a stock '11 muffler off an SE...painted reall;y nice black....would you guys wire wheel the paint off, chemical and emery cloth...emry cloth alone...time is not the issue...I'm guessing that the best chance of having the paint last is to give it a residue free surface. Or am I making more of this than i need to ?
make sure its clean and lightly sand it down...nothing to crazy on grit...then clean it up using mineral spirits or denatured alcohol to make sure no oils (including body oils from fingers and hands) and then use the header paint and it should be fine...and i guess you could go all out and use the header primer,base,and clear coat and all but i would just use the base paint and you should be alright...
PsHYk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #9
eddiekay

OK...header paint...paper and mineral spirits it is guys. Hey...a thought came to me not directly related to this post:
I can rememeber rattle can painting my CB350 back on '70 or '71. The metal was easy but....2 guys in a garage type set-up....we also had to paint plastic side covers and the headlight shell. Dust was the problem and I can rmemeber how we solved it....within seconds of completing a plastic part....we dropped it in a bucket of water and left it there overnight. As I recall...all 3 parts came out absolutely perfect with not a speck of dust nor a sag in the paint. Has anyone ever heard of this or seen it done ? No...this is not some flashback of something that never happened...somewhere..I have pix of that bike and getting into the muffler paint job brought the recollection back. Anyone else ever heard of this ?

Old July 15th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #10
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Sprayed mine with flat black high-temp paint. It works fine temperature wise, stuffs rated to 1500F...the exhaust on the new gen will never go over 400F.

No problems with it. I bumped it on the door frame to my house, and the screen door scratched off the paint....but a quick touch up, and its good to go.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote