ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

(Britain Only) Good online theory test sites?

Hi British Bikers! I'm getting bored of looking at my L plates and rather fancy a 600 and my insurance would go down with a full licence enough for me to justify one, I did my CBT seven months ago and I fancy taking my full test in a couple months so I can take the bike to England.

Have any of you found any free online resources with all the knowledge needed on UK theory tests? As the UK theory makes up a good 90% of the theory here I need to know it!

Alternatly, any excellent paid materials I would consider.

Cheers guys!

@akima @Whiskey @dooby @Kokosun
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

Name: That's "Sir" to you!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-F16, Versys KLE650 CAF

I just downloaded the highway code and read through it a few times. But ... I think that I did find somewhere that had test questions, and I did a few practice tests. I'll have a look tomorrow. The theory test was easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy ... although the hazard avoidance portion was pointless and dumb in my opinion.
Kokosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

We don't have to do hazard avoidance stuff here yet thank fook.

We just need to do a computer test on uk highway code plus our supliment of things that vary from the uk highway code or specific stuff.

http://www.gov.gg/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=3197&p=0

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:32 PM   #4
dooby
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '11 250R SE (FI), '14 Daytona 675, '14 Sprint 1050 GT SE

I grabbed some sort of "all in one" book - may even have been Haynes, more famous for their DIY manuals. I'll look it up, but it had all the theory test questions. I read it through a few times before the test and managed 50/50 for that part.

Like Roger, I found the video test a bit pointless. In fact, one of them I believed I saw a developing hazard really early but worried I'd clicked too early to be scored. So I clicked a few more times as the hazard became more obvious and it scored me zero for clicking too many times. My least fun part of the test process, very easy for me to over think it...

The book had useful diagrams including measurements for the mod 1 practical part, so I went to a local empty car park and marked out my own version of the course with various belongings and practised all the manoeuvres.

OK I dug it out - I ordered this:

"Learn to Ride 2011/2012: Everything You Need to Pass Your Motorcycle Test (Haynes All in One Book)" for a tenner off Amazon.

It *was* useful to learn what I needed to pass but less so on the actual skills of how to ride. Things like Twist of the Wrist and other books recommended on here were more useful for that side of things.

HTH, Pete
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

I wouldn't worry about the theory test. It really is, pretty simple. Read through the HC three times, and you'll be ready for it. Most of it is common sense anyway. The only bits that you need to 'revise' are things like widths of trailers and arcane bits of data like that.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Thanks Roger & Pete!

I shall probably order that Haynes Manual off amazon.co.uk! I am less interested in finding a book to develop my skills as much as I am looking to pass the test so it sounds ideal, terrible I know :P

I have an AA guide from... 2007... Dunno if it is still useful, may read through it till the Haynes arives.

Side note, I would love for a Haynes for the Ninja 250r, the first thing I do when I buy a car is buy the Haynes, it's essential!

Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I got my licence when I was in Ireland, so I'm probably no use to you, I have the Irish theory test in a Dropbox folder if you want it.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to Riding Skills area

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:45 PM   #9
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

The entire highway code is online:

https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/highway-code

Or ... you can download as a pdf here:

https://www.learnerdriving.com/learn.../highway-code/

There are various sites that provide 'sample' tests, for example:

http://www.all4bikers.com/theory/

This is a particularly good site, with lots of advice.

I know that you're just talking about the theory test, but it isn't a bad idea to memorise the the Mod2 test questions too. They're pretty well documented on lots of sites, including:

http://www.cardiffmotorcycleschool.c...ining.asp?i=37

Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I hate the highway code, it's stupid, I got failed on the practise one for answering "after a long journey" as part of a three parter for "when should you check your rear tyre pressure"

Knowing what percentage of road pollution is caused by motor traffic, why trams are environmentally friendly and how many times more your brake distance in freezing weather will be, be it eight times or ten times (it varys waaaay more than that anyway) is stupid.

It's less common sense for me, and quite hard, since we don't have trains or trams so i've never been on a level crossing, we don't have motorways or dual carriages so what you guys just know is pure guess work for me!

Regarding the move of thread, if you took the practise theory test you'd see it's less about driving skills and more about knowing what a triangular sign with a picture of a sock is about and what colour are the reflective bits are on a motorway and how do you safely secure a child in a car under three years old in a CAR lol ARGH I hate theory tests!