ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Job Hunting

It is so much fun. I'm telling you. Right now I'm tweaking my resume to find something new.

I mean heck, I get paid good money to do what I do. I could go out and get that new BMW sport bike, easily affording it. Yet there is something to be said about job satisfaction. I constantly put up with people that take credit for others actions. If one of us technicians comes up with a good idea and mention it to our supervisor, he will go to the manager with that idea. If the manager likes it, he acts as if he came up with it, while if the manager doesn't like it, he tells him it was one of our ideas and that he'd mention it even if he thought it wasn't a good one.

YAY for supervisory morons!! I have been working on these new-to-me tools for about a year now, and he was on them for like 10 years, yet I know more about them than he does. Crazy how that is.

So yeah, I'm looking to get away. I mean I can put up with it, the pay is worth the hassle. But honestly, I need something that works with me. Something I enjoy. So I'm working on the resume to get it out there and see what is available.

I found a job at the local radio station. I am going to apply for that later on tonight. It is a longer drive there than my current job. In rush hour it can be horrible. Then again, I am optimistic to new opportunities and I see this as being one of them. We shall see.

*hops off soapbox*

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

If I had a job where dropping 10 grand on a new bike was no problem, I could easily put up with the super stealing my ideas.... Hell, at this point I'd settle for a job, period. Haha.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Job hunting is never fun, but it's a whole lot more fun when you already have one. Not only is there less immediate pressure, but the chances of success are inevitably higher as potential employers are often going to have a bias toward folks who are gainfully employed already. Good luck on your search, I hope you find something that makes you happy.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I really didn't get into it very far. The really bad part is they are dumping more and more responsibilities on us. They are stretching us thin, overworking us. Then we get yelled at if we make a mistake. Well you overwork people, mistakes happen. There is a long list of complaints, but very few positives (other than the pay). So that is why I'm searching. I'll drop salary down to half of what I currently make if it brings a smile to my face.

EDIT: Thanks Alex!

Old February 25th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #5
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Life is too short to do something that makes you miserable. Some of the happiest people I know barely have a dime to their name while the other I know on the opposite end of the scale are constantly stressed.

You of course need to make enough to pay the bills, but after that...skipping some luxuries for an enjoyable job is a small price to pay.

Life is short, enjoy as much of it as you can.

I'm surrently job searching as well I have an interview tomorrow

Old February 25th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Mark & Tyler, good luck with your interviews!

I'm currently in the lot with the reasonably happy at work, despite seemingly endless stress and setbacks on our projects, but making ends meet means being thrifty as much as possible. Definitely agree about current employment making the job hunt a little lighter on the nerves.

Old February 25th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #7
Keenan84
ninjette.org member

Name: Keenan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r Special Edition

If anyone needs a hotel manager, i'm your man. seriously i'm looking for work in the states, hook me up!
Keenan84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #8
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Speaking of this topic, and hopefully not jacking this thread too far....

how much money would each of us have to make to settle for job you didn't like?

how close are you to that point now?

how many of us are just happy enough to have a job that we don't care?

opinions?
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #9
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Instead of going "job hunting", go "employer hunting". That way if you get turned down it's more fun. It just like hunting anything else, look through your sight, aim, and you should get the right outcome.

Old February 25th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #10
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #11
razorback
ninjette.org member

Name: Linda

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

My husband was laid off from his job as an aircraft mechanic in November. He just began a new job in his field this week...but it requires a move to Birmingham, which is stressful mainly because we have two school-age kids. There was absolutely nothing available in central Arkansas. He even looked into changing professions just so we wouldn't have to move. But I am sooo grateful that he found a job...it's pretty bleak out there right now!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #12
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I remember job hunting back in 1971 fresh out of the Army and Vietnam. I went to several interviews and got literally abused by the management types. I went to one interview and the personnel director asked me, "Do you still smoke dope?" I said, "Do you still beat your wife?" I got the job.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #13
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Alex, perfect example of two wrongs making a right!

Besides, how did you know his wife?

Old February 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #14
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Race), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 (Track), 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Street)

Hey mark, not to get in your business but what is it you currently do?
MKlein3004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #15
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I hated my job for ten years. But the money was OK . Life was miserable. After the racing season ended last year I quiet and got another job. The guy turned out to be a wack job and then before I could get another job he laid me off. I was pissed. But I went job hunting with a vengeance and was all ready looking so I found one in a couple days. ( I have a motorcycle to feed)

Good luck
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #16
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKlein3004 View Post
Hey mark, not to get in your business but what is it you currently do?
Hmmmm....
I work in the semiconductor industry.

I work on electronics, electrical, cryogenics, heating, lighting, pneumatics, hydraulics, programming, drafting, shipping and receiving, record keeping and filing, parts management, parts replacement, preventive maintenance, parts organization, product problem diagnosis, product assessments, etc.

Back when I started there. I did only these:
electronics, electrical, cryogenics, heating, lighting, pneumatics, hydraulics, record keeping, and preventive maintenance.

They have tossed on a lot of other items. Don't get me wrong, I feel blessed to have a job. However if I can get something better, then I see no reason not to pursue it.

Old February 25th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #17
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Race), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 (Track), 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Street)

oh i agree with you on having a job. my job is not the best nor the best paying job, but i am happy that i was able to have 2 job offers out of college when some poeple with a degree can't even get an hourly job becuase they are too qualified.
MKlein3004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #18
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I completely understand.
For 15 years I did my job with many different bosses throughout the years, learning everything I could. I switched corporations quite a few times, each time digging into them and learning how each of them worked. Getting my hands into everything, and picking up knowledge...even stuff that wasnt part of my job description. I wanted to know it all...not just what was in my job description, but everything...the nitty gritty secrets of how the industry was run. I spent alot of time developing business connections with high management, being careful not to burn any bridges. I got to be friends with CEO's of many of the companies I worked for.

Two months ago, the company I worked for went under new management....and some new guy came in as my manager. I got layed off....ok...fine. It was time, time to take what I knew to the bank. I took my severence package, and started making some calls.

Two weeks later and now...Im now a professional consultant, and instead of doing the little jobs, I get payed big bucks to teach the companies what I know. And then to top it all off....the guy that layed me off....yeah, they are now a client of mine and guess who calls me when they need something....the very guy that layed me off.

I have 12 major corporations that are now my clients. Many of which are companies that I used to work for, or do business with. Now, on a daily basis I work directly with the CEO's of these companies helping them with their business.

I have some tips for you guys working out there.

1. NEVER EVER burn a bridge. No matter how small. All of the business connections that you make matter. You will find that connections you made years ago can be very beneficial even years later.

2. Dont be afraid to go straight to the top of a company you work for. CEO's are not some unapproachable magical mythical creature that is untouchable by their employees. Get to know them and develop professional relationships with them. Dont be a kiss ass though. If you want to make an impression...find something that will save the company money and take it to the top. You'd be amazed at how easy this is to do. Dont go in there,all "Excuse me sir"....you walk right in there and tell him/her "I have something you need to see". OWN IT.

3. Go above and beyond...even if its not in your job description. Dont be afraid to take on projects that are beyond your skill level. Even if you fail, its still a learning experience.

4. Learn everything you can about the company. Not just your job. Learn the management jobs, learn the technician jobs, learn everything you can. Go to those people in those positions and ask questions. Get involved. They will appreciate the help, and you will gain another contact. Learn how to do everyones job. Flexability in your skillset makes you useful. What you want to do is learn enough to where you could run the company, and learn it as fast as you possibly can.

5. Know when its time to move on and to leave a company. Unless you are running the company, view it as a temporary position. If you get a better offer that requires you to move on. Do it. Take what you know, and use it....for somebody else for more money. No CEO will fault you for wanting to better yourself. Dont just jump ship...give em the opportunity to match it, if they cant, then give 2 weeks...and leave.

6. Never quit a job. You either get layed off, the company goes out of business, or you get a larger offer. If you get a larger offer...offer the company you work for the opportunity to match it. If they cant...then give your 2 weeks notice. And dont be a lazy putz during your last two weeks....work harder than ever. DONT BURN BRIDGES. You want that CEO to give you raving reviews 10 years later, and hire you back in a minute. And if they go out of business, walk right up to that CEO and tell him if he decides to start over, to give you a call. If he does, he probably will...and you will more than likely end up with a better job.

7. If you get fired...dont flip the CEO the bird and walk out cursing his mother. You say "Thank you for the opportunity to work with you, I enjoyed working here" and leave it at that. Just shut your mouth and be professional...always. You want them to second guess their decision, and wonder if they made a mistake.

8. If you see an opportunity for advancement. Take it. Dpnt hesitate. Grab it, and run with it. If you take a new position...hammer it. Run with that sucker for all its got.

9. Do your damn job... its work....thats why they call it work. If you arent working...dont expect to go anywhere.

10. Dont waste your time with general managers, assistant managers, or supervisors. Most of them dont know squat about the business and are just their with their degree in hand, making a buck. Many of them will never go anywhere, and are useless as business contacts. The only reason they are there is because the CEO wants to make sure you arent taking 2hr lunches, or calling in sick every 3 days. You are only concerned with upper management. CEO's, Executive Directors, etc. Be polite, courteous, and professional with them, but dont expect to get anything from them.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #19
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Bryan - Very sound advice for all. Life is too short to not enjoy your job. If you're not happy or you bring nothing but grief home to the family it's time to move on. And I know, in this economy that is easier said than done. Not a good excuse to at least have the resume updated and your antenna in search mode.

Old March 1st, 2010, 07:45 PM   #20
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I finally got my resume tweaked in and I sent it in for the position. *crosses fingers*

Pray for me!

I'm all excited, even if I don't get the position. It is just awesome to be able to have the chance to work for this non-profit radio station.

Old March 1st, 2010, 10:58 PM   #21
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jenn

Motorcycle(s): Bot

I'm rooting for you!! Sending good vibes your way. Oh and don't do any of these things. Good luck!!

http://www.gradview.com/articles/car...g_mistake.html
jcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:26 PM   #22
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Good luck!!!!! Giving you an Arsenio Hall--Woot woot!!
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:14 AM   #23
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Mark.... good luck! But do keep in mind that there are those credit grabbers in every industry. I've seen it more times than not. Few times do you find supervisory/management that are well rounded and inclusive. Most times they like to keep the "hire" stupid in order to secure their own positions. Unfortunately a fact of life in the business world. Truly good luck in your search
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:48 PM   #24
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
Good luck!!!!! Giving you an Arsenio Hall--Woot woot!!
The dogpound!!

Man I miss that show.

"Those are people, I hope don't stand up because they're naked from the waist down."