ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 11th, 2019, 12:07 PM   #1
JackTheAlbatross
ninjette.org newbie
 
Name: Jack
Location: Texas
Join Date: Jan 2019

Motorcycle(s): Ninja Kawasaki 250r 2006

Posts: 3
New 250 owner Troubleshooting Questions

Hey, guys! I've been visiting these forums (and faq.ninja) for about a year now while fixing up my 2006 Ninja 250r I got from a friend. I gotta say you've all been a lot of help!

My bike hasn't run for about 2 years as my buddy wrecked it and bent the fork.
So far I've:
Replaced the front fork assembly.
Drained the gas tank (now has new fuel)
Installed new battery (All elec components are doing what they should)
Installed new spark plugs (kept old ones)

But I can't seem to get the bike to turn over. The only thing I haven't done is clean out the carburetor because it looks like a pretty big job for a novice. Funny thing is, when I go to crank the bike up, if I spray starter fluid into the air intake, the bike begins to turn over(but only with the clutch fully engaged). But if I let go of the ignition switch, it wont idle.

My biggest problem is that troubleshooting this way drains the battery. I'm having to use a trickle charger to charge the battery every time and I don't want to screw this brand new battery up. I've read on reddit that you can hook up a car battery to the brake lever and use the car battery to eliminate that issue. But I can't seem to find any information on this. Any suggestions?

(I've also bought Seafoam carb cleaner but I haven't used it yet haha)
JackTheAlbatross is offline   Reply With Quote




Old January 11th, 2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org member
 
Name: C
Location: Hawaii
Join Date: May 2011

Motorcycle(s): 250

Posts: 144
For a bike that hasn't been running for 2 years, it's gonna need those carbs to be rebuilt.
Either send them out to be cleaned and rebuilt or chance them yourself as a learning experience.
__________________________________________________
"It ended up being the loose nut behind the wheel"
Ceeloo Yello is offline   Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 11th, 2019, 01:57 PM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter
 
jkv45's Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Location: WI
Join Date: Jul 2013

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 SV650n project, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheAlbatross View Post
My bike hasn't run for about 2 years as my buddy wrecked it and bent the fork.
So far I've:
Replaced the front fork assembly.
Drained the gas tank (now has new fuel)
Installed new battery (All elec components are doing what they should)
Installed new spark plugs (kept old ones)

But I can't seem to get the bike to turn over. The only thing I haven't done is clean out the carburetor because it looks like a pretty big job for a novice. Funny thing is, when I go to crank the bike up, if I spray starter fluid into the air intake, the bike begins to turn over(but only with the clutch fully engaged). But if I let go of the ignition switch, it wont idle.
Most likely you have carb work in your future.

Look through this section, especially the info on carb removal and cleaning - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake

You need to do it carefully and meticulously, or you'll be doing it again.

If you want it done professionally (and right the first time) look up ducatiman here.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 11th, 2019, 04:08 PM   #4
JackTheAlbatross
ninjette.org newbie
 
Name: Jack
Location: Texas
Join Date: Jan 2019

Motorcycle(s): Ninja Kawasaki 250r 2006

Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeloo Yello View Post
For a bike that hasn't been running for 2 years, it's gonna need those carbs to be rebuilt.
Either send them out to be cleaned and rebuilt or chance them yourself as a learning experience.
Thanks! I guess I'll just have to finally bite the bullet and do it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Most likely you have carb work in your future.

Look through this section, especially the info on carb removal and cleaning - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake

You need to do it carefully and meticulously, or you'll be doing it again.

If you want it done professionally (and right the first time) look up ducatiman here.
Haha I actually ran into an old man in Walmart today while shopping for starter fluid and he told me the exact same thing. I'll contact ducatiman if I don't feel up for the job.

Thanks.
JackTheAlbatross is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 11th, 2019, 04:08 PM   #5
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
CaliGrrl's Avatar
 
Name: Kerry
Location: Ventura, CA
Join Date: Jan 2016

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome!

My hubby had a bike that hadn't run for a while, and it needed the carbs cleaned and redone.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 11th, 2019, 08:05 PM   #6
JackTheAlbatross
ninjette.org newbie
 
Name: Jack
Location: Texas
Join Date: Jan 2019

Motorcycle(s): Ninja Kawasaki 250r 2006

Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Welcome!

My hubby had a bike that hadn't run for a while, and it needed the carbs cleaned and redone.
Thanks! My bike is the exact same as the one in your profile pic. Can't wait to get it running.
JackTheAlbatross is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 11th, 2019, 08:33 PM   #7
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
CaliGrrl's Avatar
 
Name: Kerry
Location: Ventura, CA
Join Date: Jan 2016

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Good luck! Check on some of the past threads on rehabbing hibernated bikes. Is a good bike and you'll have a good time once you get her running.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 13th, 2019, 08:35 AM   #8
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
VaFish's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Location: Northern Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2015

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2006 Harley Sportster 1200C

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Jan '16
I'm fairly mechanically competent, I've resurrected several Ninja 250's. I thought I knew what I was doing with their carbs until I sent a set to Ducatiman.

Save yourself a lot of frustration and just contact him.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help troubleshooting skip 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk 4 March 30th, 2017 06:40 AM
Idle troubleshooting USMarine 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk 7 February 26th, 2017 05:59 PM
Troubleshooting knightdalton 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk 4 May 25th, 2016 05:16 AM
Troubleshooting my Ninja zenmike 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk 7 December 6th, 2014 07:26 PM
Previous owner said he installed an exhaust from an '08... questions. peterpayne 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk 13 September 23rd, 2013 08:25 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Motorcycle Safety Foundation

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 AM.


remote server monitor
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Except where otherwise noted, all site contents are Copyright 2016 ninjette.org, All rights reserved.