ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old July 19th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

MotoGP at Laguna Seca?

Just wondering if anyone else is going to be heading to Laguna Seca this week for some motogp. I'll be riding up there on Thursday (7/22, that is) around noon from Los Angeles with my bike loaded up for 350 miles and for 4 days and 3 nights of camping on Fox Hill.This is going to be my first time ever going, so I'll be winging it and hoping I haven't forgotten anything integral. It feels weird skipping work, but my schedule's finally slowed down, so I'm not too sorry

I was thinking of trying out this route since I've never traveled to Northern California at all and I hear this is a fun route, but I've no idea what twisty roads'd be like with all that luggage. My chosen routes not set in stone yet though, but this is what I'm currently leaning on. Although I'm still, of course, making random last minute decisions like a proper procrastinator Regardless, if anyone else from SoCal is planning to go and wants to head up there with me (which is only a good idea if you want to leave late- I still have to work the first half of the day, so I'll be getting off at 12:00, probably leaving 12:30-1:00 ish) or if you're going to be there from somewhere else and you spot a chick on a black new gen with some custom scraped road rash on the left fairing, be sure to say hi
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nice route! Cerro Noroeste road is one of my absolute favorites. Only suggestion I'd make is near the end of 58, instead of going all the way to 101, cut north on 229. It's known as "Rossi's Driveway". Only about 20 miles long if that, and only the first 8 or 10 miles are interesting, but you'll never forget 'em.

My wife and I will be at Laguna from Friday - Sun. We're only staying over Sat. night, driving back home on Fri. Staying on Cannery row, should be fun! Usually we're a block or two off, but this should be even better.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Very cool I'll probably be riding all over for snacks and such so I can pack as lightly as possible, so maybe I'll run into you at some point.

That doesn't change the route too much and it doesn't look that crazy- Is it actually a pretty intense road? I don't want to do anything TOO terribly death defying on the way there, but I'm all for additional fun.

So far I'll be riding up there with one other guy from a local forum (I guess he also has a 250, but I'm not sure what bike he plans to ride up there) so hopefully I won't get too lost. Yay 300 mile caravans! SOOO stoked right now

Old July 20th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #4
pedaltothemetal
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): Plasma Blue 2008 Ninja 250R, 2006 Honda Ruckus 180cc swap, 1967 BMW R60US, 2008 Ninja ZX-14se

Moto GP will be a great adventure for me too! Never seen pros race!
I'll be riding the same route on Friday. Be careful from B to D. Very sharp turns, without warnings! Especially from Frazier Park, Pine Mt to 33, and 58!
Will be staying in Marina Holiday Inn. No camping this time!

Recommend stopping at Carrizo Plain.
You will be passing right by the Carrizo Plain. Look at this map we rode. Distination F is Soda Lake Rd to Carrizo Plain. About 8 miles.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...9,2.469177&z=9
pedaltothemetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #5
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

I will be heading out to Fox Hill on Thursday morning as well but I will be coming from Silicon Valley. I should arrive around noon to set up camp and will be staying until Sunday evening. Feel free to stop by and hang out.

This is my camp from last year. I should be in the same spot overlooking turns 4 and 5 unless someone else snipes my place:

AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #6
pedaltothemetal
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Plasma Blue 2008 Ninja 250R, 2006 Honda Ruckus 180cc swap, 1967 BMW R60US, 2008 Ninja ZX-14se

We are thinking to ride thru Yosemite on Monday on the way back home.
Overnight in Madera, then to Yosemite Glacer Point, Valley, and Tioga Pass to Lee Vining!
Big 1000mi loop now!
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.234589&z=10

Last futzed with by pedaltothemetal; July 21st, 2010 at 03:17 AM.

Old July 20th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
That doesn't change the route too much and it doesn't look that crazy- Is it actually a pretty intense road? I don't want to do anything TOO terribly death defying on the way there, but I'm all for additional fun.
Not death-defying at all, just fun.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Annie and I had a fun day walking around; left the little monster with his grandmother at home. We managed to get some good pics in the paddock:

Simoncelli's Fro:

Nicky Hayden and his ill-advised haircut:

Some other guy:

Annie got a pic with Mika Kallio:

Saw this bike in the vendor area, in case anyone needs any ideas about how to trick out their new S1000RR:

We drove back tonight, but are heading back down tomorrow morning and staying the rest of the weekend. Traffic was non-existent in both directions today, hoping it doesn't get much worse for tomorrow. The weather was pretty much optimal all day. Sunny, but not too hot, and with a nice breeze as well.

All pics are available in full resolution up in this gallery.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:08 PM   #9
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I feel bad for that BMW.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #10
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
That must be Hayden's new street bike. It goes with the haircut.

Old July 24th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #11
KTRacing38
2010 250 Cup Champion

Name: Kristy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R and 2007 Honda CR150F

What is Nicky thinking?? Oie!
KTRacing38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #12
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Qualifying on Speed at 9pm tonight (same day delay).

Old July 24th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #13
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

NICE PIC's!
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #14
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I watched the Formula 1 race then took a ride before the MotoGP came on. I think I'm ready for MotoGP. I might be the fastest, bestest rider in the world actually.

It's funny that after watching a race you seem to ride a bit quicker than you should. I didn't ride after watching the MotoGP. I didn't want to make Rossi look bad.

I'll be back to normal tomorrow (normal for me anyway).

Old July 25th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

When Ann and I were driving through Monterey yesterday, saw a woman with a black ninjette parking next to a Ducati, both he and she were wearing ducati jackets. I remember someone posting up on this site about their boyfriend having a Duc, I wondered if it was the same person. Wasn't able to stop in traffic at the time to try and say hi, unfortunately...

At dinner Saturday night, Marco Simoncelli and his whole crew showed up at the table right next to us. They didn't start eating until well after 9 PM. Maybe that's why he had a hard time keeping it on two wheels, not enough sleep.

Old July 26th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #16
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Isn't there a rule about crashing on the warm-up lap. Who was it again? That's got to hurt (your pride). I feel for the guy (not really).

Old July 26th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #17
Jaymi
Jaymi

Name: Jaymi

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Sigh . . . I am so jealous, OI watched it on tv though!
Jaymi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #18
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Wow. Just wow. What an experience! And good meeting you, Craig I think camping on Fox Hill really added to the experience. A lot of fun, helpful, and enthusiastic guys up there with a lot of interesting stories. I had no idea I would be hiking so much though. Eesh. The climb from the paddock to the top of Fox Hill was killer. I'm really glad I brought my Alpinestars boots instead of my Sidis, as I never would have been able to walk all day in those. I think I reached my exercise quota for the rest of the month. Although next year I think I'm going to see if I can take Monday off and stay one more night or something, because riding home down highway 1 in the numbingly cold coastal weather, scary encroaching fog, and pitch black darkness was not as fun (And going back to work today was too much boring too soon).

That said, it felt like a motorcycle amusement park. So cool to see so many people completely enamored with bikes. I saw a couple familiar faces that I wasn't expecting of people who I had met at the track a few times before, and one of my friends who initially wasn't going to go at all actually drove up there Friday night to help out in the pits for Eric Bostrom on Saturday, so it was really cool talking to him again. The small world phenomenon never gets old

I didn't make it to Cannery row, unfortunately. I was going to check it out just to see where it was on Saturday morning when I was going out for breakfast, but I realized I was going to miss the GP morning practice and opted to head back to the track. I ended getting lost on the way back though (I get lost way too easily), so I figured I'd save it for next year and bring a GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
At dinner Saturday night, Marco Simoncelli and his whole crew showed up at the table right next to us. They didn't start eating until well after 9 PM. Maybe that's why he had a hard time keeping it on two wheels, not enough sleep.
So Jealous! Even if he isn't the top of the leaderboard, he's definitely my favorite racer to watch. It was a real shame to see him crash out of the race. He was competing pretty hard against Melandri up until then. On that note:

The highlight of my trip

I waited about half an hour outside the San Carlo pit in hopes of seeing him. I was hoping to see Spies too, but Edwards was the only person I saw leave the Tech 3 pit (Also awesome, but I really wanted to see Spies too). I was so stoked and giddy and star struck seeing Simoncelli that I didn't mind though. I also saw Rossi, Dovizioso, Melandri, Espargaro, and Pedrosa (Holy crap Pedrosa is SMALL), but yeah. This was my goal ^_^

And some other sweet pictures:

The electric bikes were actually really cool I thought. This one was particularly badass in addition to being the last second winner of the race.

Fox Hill on Saturday as it got more crowded

My camp

Goddamn, what an awesome weekend. I never really followed AMA before, but that last race between Ben Bostrom and Josh Hayes was really exciting. I might start now.

Old July 27th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #19
pedaltothemetal
ninjette.org member

Loved the experience! Never seen so many motorcycles and fans in 1 place!

A sea of motorcycles! Never seen anything like it!

Rode the ZX-14 there!

Viewed the race from top of that hill. Could see the corkscrew coming down, and all the turns, and straight!
Saw 46 pass Dovizioso and gain a position on a turn. That and Pedrosa leader crash allow the doctor to be
up there on the podium in 3rd place, behind winner Lorenzo, 2nd Stoner! Considering he is still healing from a fractured leg, that is amazing!

We were allowed to cross the track at times!

Rossi chasing down Dovizioso down corkscrew who he eventually passed.

The Doctor

Last futzed with by pedaltothemetal; July 29th, 2010 at 11:54 AM.