ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:49 AM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Riddle me this: oil screen

So I split the case and just went ahead and removed the oil filter cover and screen. So what is the purpose of the oil filter screen? To prevent large debris from coming out of the oil drain bolt?

Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:03 AM   #2
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

This??

There's no problem with metal coming out of the drain hole (other than the fact that you have metal in your engine). Its there because that area is also the intake for the oil pump. It catches the big stuff before it gets to the pump and then on to the main filter.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:57 PM   #3
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

I think it's mostly there to catch excess amounts of gasket material and stuff like that that comes off when the engine is first run.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
http://www.dansmc.com/kaw_vn750_vulcan_oilflow.jpg

The oil pump is a gear type, which does not tolerate debris between the outer and inner gears.

The mesh area is big, so there is little pressure drop in the inlet, avoiding cavitation.

The pump discharges onto the exterior area of the paper filter.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:03 AM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5 View Post
This??

There's no problem with metal coming out of the drain hole (other than the fact that you have metal in your engine). Its there because that area is also the intake for the oil pump. It catches the big stuff before it gets to the pump and then on to the main filter.
Ah okay. I didn't notice the oil pickup.