ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 6th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #1
Jeremygreen09
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Help 05 ninja 250 several problems.

I've recently replaced the pistons and rings before I did this the bike would run at 4k idle with choke and without. I've adjust the air screw and even replaced them due to bad o rings. Adjust the idle knob does nothing but kill the bike. The carb has been fully cleaned. I can't figure this one out. Now it won't start from the electic starter. I have to push start the thing. I've figured out that there must be a vac leak because the only way to start it with pushing is the gas cap being open. But I've checked the carbs hoses, gas tank has three lines all are good, from air box to head is good. Wth else!? Ive read that the gas cap has a hole that could be the issue but I'm not sure where it is I've looked but can't tell.
Jeremygreen09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #2
Jeremygreen09
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremygreen09 View Post
I've recently replaced the pistons and rings before I did this the bike would run at 4k idle with choke and without. I've adjust the air screw and even replaced them due to bad o rings. Adjust the idle knob does nothing but kill the bike. The carb has been fully cleaned. I can't figure this one out. Now it won't start from the electic starter. I have to push start the thing. I've figured out that there must be a vac leak because the only way to start it with pushing is the gas cap being open. But I've checked the carbs hoses, gas tank has three lines all are good, from air box to head is good. Wth else!? Ive read that the gas cap has a hole that could be the issue but I'm not sure where it is I've looked but can't tell.
Forgot to say. Replaced pistons because oil ring went out caused the piston to go bad. Went ahead and replaced both since I was there. Vavles are good. I did go ahead and check the timing again to make sure that it was the cause of the spark plug timing being out of time. I've checked both spark plugs to verify they work they are new. Also the carb does fill with gas.

Old September 6th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #3
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Hi, Jeremy! Welcome!

So how many miles are on this beast?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2015, 07:06 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
I would check the battery voltage. Check it before you hit the button - it should be 12.7V. Then check it as you hit the button - it should still be 11V or more. You may have a bad battery.

As far as the gas cap issue, it should only be an issue after it has run a while, not initially. If the tank is not venting properly you will build a vacuum and stop the flow of gas to the carb, but you will need to run the through the gas in the floatbowls and build a vacuum first - that takes some run time.

So when you bump-start it - what does it do? Runs at 4000 only? Are the idle mixture screws at 2.5 out? You may have a vacuum leak around the carb boots.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2015, 08:59 AM   #5
Jeremygreen09
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Hi, Jeremy! Welcome!

So how many miles are on this beast?
It has 22k. It has been a great bike. Until now

Old September 7th, 2015, 09:14 AM   #6
Jeremygreen09
ninjette.org newbie

So I can get it to start off te starter with starter fluid but it won't rev past 1k rpm with full throttle. When I push start it with gas cap off it runs fine just has very high idle 4k rpm. Could the petcock off the carb return be clogged?

Old September 7th, 2015, 11:33 AM   #7
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Look into the gas cap vent. See what's going on there...
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
So I can get it to start off te starter with starter fluid but it won't rev past 1k rpm with full throttle. When I push start it with gas cap off it runs fine just has very high idle 4k rpm. Could the petcock off the carb return be clogged?
That still seems odd. Once it's running it shouldn't matter how it was started.

I would check the battery. A dead or almost dead battery can create unusual running problems.

It should start and run for a while with the gas cap open or closed.

Check the hoses and the intake boots for a vacuum leak.

Old September 8th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #9
Jeremygreen09
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
That still seems odd. Once it's running it shouldn't matter how it was started.

I would check the battery. A dead or almost dead battery can create unusual running problems.

It should start and run for a while with the gas cap open or closed.

Check the hoses and the intake boots for a vacuum leak.

I've sprayed water on the boots it didn't change the idle. Should I replace all the lines with clear?

Old September 8th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #10
Jeremygreen09
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Look into the gas cap vent. See what's going on there...
That's what I can't figure out. Where is the vent??

Old September 8th, 2015, 01:03 PM   #11
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
I've sprayed water on the boots it didn't change the idle. Should I replace all the lines with clear?
Don't know if water would tell you or not - I'm thinking it may not though.

I've always used Carb Cleaner, but WD-40 or Brake Cleaner might work.

Old September 8th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #12
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
That's what I can't figure out. Where is the vent??

Sounds like it could be a venting issue, no worries it's a free and easy fix,

Quote:
You need you to disassemble the gas cap and remove the two small red diaphragms, assuming this is your only problem.

The diaphragm gets hard and losses it's flexibility and gets stuck, and doesn't allow proper venting.

IMHO this modification should be done regardless to prevent future problems whatsoever.

They are ment to vent the tank, but in the case of an accident not allow gas to leak out, but more often cause problems then they fix.

Here are some pictures to help you.

The plastic piece houses the two small red diaphragm pieces, this one being mine, they are already gone, and you can leave the plastic piece out all together, as I'm going to do now.

Some things to watch out for are, there are 5 small springs under the round collar, and a small round collar as well on the locking mechanism, don't lose any of them.

Good luck.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #13
Jeremygreen09
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Sounds like it could be a venting issue, no worries it's a free and easy fix,
Thank you very much for the detailed information! I'll get on that this weekend

Old September 11th, 2015, 12:41 AM   #14
Jeremygreen09
ninjette.org newbie

Ok everyone thank you all so very much for your help!

It's been a crazy few days so I haven't had time until tonight to work on this bike.

Here's what I've done.

1. I replaced all lines with clear lines
This allowed me to see that fuel is getting to the carb but there is no fuel coming out of the carb to the petcock. There is also zero fuel coming from the vent lines or fuel coming to our out of the fuel filter. Correct me if I'm wrong but the california fuel filter has 4 connections coming to it? 2 lines from the gas tank blue line on top red line on the side, bottom line to the carb, and the 4th I'm very confused about coming from a rectangle box about 5 inch height 1 in thick and 3 1/2 wide that also has a line to the airbox?? Is the to help keep pressure in the lines??

2. I removed the filter to see if it was clear. I blew air thro the top nipple (for now I'll call it my unknown box MUB) and air came out the nipple on the side (red connection) and out the nipple on top (blue connection) But no air came out of the nipple for the bottome nipple (to the carb). I plugged red and blue nipples still no air out of bottom. I reversed and tried to blow air out of the bottom and nothing. Is this normal? Or does it require some sort of vaccume to work? Or am I just completely about this being the fuel filter?? I feel stupid not knowing these things and trying to work on it!

3 I decided to bypass the "filter" (since I have no way to connect all of these lines together) I created a make shift filter. I used a small perscriptions bottle and placed an O ring on it to seal the bottle. I then heated a nail to poke the proper size hole in it with a make shift nipple. I checked to make sure there were no leaks. I connected all the lines to it. I choked and used electric start and it acted like it wanted to actually start!! After a few minutes I tried again and it started right up!!! It still had a very high idle 4.5 to 5 k. I adjusted the idle knob and it actually went down to just under 3k!! As I tried to go lower it bogged out. So I started the bike back up with minimal effort and had it rev back up to 4k this time. So I sprayed wd 40 on the left side of the carb from the air intake to the head to see if it dropped and didn't change the idle, did the same to the right same story. I adjusted the knob and got it to hange just under 3k again and it has stayed running at this point.

My "conclusion" it's because my makeshift is not the real deal so the idle won't go down or it has a vac leak or both. Also I probably need to re adjust the air mixture screws and probably fix vent on tank cap?

Old September 11th, 2015, 04:19 AM   #15
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Most PreGen Ninjette don't have an OEM fuel filter, so I'm confused???? If someone added one, then did they the proper one?

Here's some information on the California models fuel system, and how-to bypass the system.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Hose_ro...ine_fuel_tanks

Also some information on inline fuel filter,
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...fuel_filter%3F

Hope this helps, and this is assuming your carburetors are in proper working order.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote