ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old November 4th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Colezombie
ninjette.org member

Name: Cole

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

GSX-R rear signals on 2008+ 250s?

I was looking at my friends GSX-R 750 today and wondered if someone has ever put those rear signals on a 250.. I'm sure it could be done or is there a kit like that?

that would look amazing on my 250..IMO..
Colezombie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

That style is called a "duck tail." It's extra-wide so that the blinker spacing meets DOT regs while still being integrated.

There is a Ducati-style duck tail available in Indonesia but the functional blinkers are underneath like a typical undertail kit and the integrated ones are dummies. Nothing stopping you from putting a pair of bulbs there though.

Matt was able to get one for a Canadian member but he wasn't able to get me one and he says he won't be getting any more.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #3
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Name: JR

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
That style is called a "duck tail." It's extra-wide so that the blinker spacing meets DOT regs while still being integrated.

There is a Ducati-style duck tail available in Indonesia but the functional blinkers are underneath like a typical undertail kit and the integrated ones are dummies. Nothing stopping you from putting a pair of bulbs there though.

Matt was able to get one for a Canadian member but he wasn't able to get me one and he says he won't be getting any more.
Why is that? I asked him several times about this ductail and he never reply to my pm's and I am very interested in this ductail.

I know how to work with fiberglass pretty well and I been considering in doing one, but the problem I have is the tail light.
wellcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
Why is that? I asked him several times about this ductail and he never reply to my pm's and I am very interested in this ductail.

I know how to work with fiberglass pretty well and I been considering in doing one, but the problem I have is the tail light.
I think it was because he broke even or lost money, but I was willing to pay more and he wouldn't have had to ship to Canada. *shrug*

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #5
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I think it was because he broke even or lost money, but I was willing to pay more and he wouldn't have had to ship to Canada. *shrug*
Do you know how much was the duck tail? I guess depending on $ we might me able to convince him to get a couple of them.
Pm me if you like.

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Do you know how much was the duck tail? I guess depending on $ we might me able to convince him to get a couple of them.
Pm me if you like.
I was among the first to ask but only green was available. divingtigger had a green bike so he got the only one.

Here are the relevant posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
If I get them for you guys you are responsible for all costs. And I will charge a 10% service fee since I do not intend on selling them.
Quote:
These I can get for $225. And it comes painted. Cheapest way to get them is ocean freight with a month+ wait. and the price would be under $300 total or real close to it. The fast way and your looking at about a $400 tail.
Quote:
$225 was the cost for me to buy it (more now since the dollar is in the pits)+ shipping to me $25 + whatever the eventual shipping is to Canada is what Rob is paying (estimate of $50 if its a little less I keep the difference if its a little more then Rob pays it which shouldn't happen). I did this just to get one over here. If there is interest I would say to expect a $400 price tag and it being a special order product due to limited availability and the pain in the butt of acquiring them.
The arrows will take you to the post in the original thread.

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #7
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Wow $400 is a lot of money, I wasn't expecting that much.

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Wow $400 is a lot of money, I wasn't expecting that much.
Ever looked at the cost of a painted undertail from Hotbodies Racing? $230. This is basically that + the rest of the tail, so $225 + shipping sounds very reasonable, but Matt needs his profit too. divingtigger basically had to pay international shipping TWICE for his.

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #9
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Ever looked at the cost of a painted undertail from Hotbodies Racing? $230. This is basically that + the rest of the tail, so $225 + shipping sounds very reasonable, but Matt needs his profit too. divingtigger basically had to pay international shipping TWICE for his.
I actually haven't and I see your point which I understand. If I can get it unpainted for a cheaper price that would be wonderful. I paint my own cars and boats so I can take care of that. My bike is red and I'm planning on painting it black so I might get it unpainted to try to lower the cost as much as possible. The reason I like the duck tail is because of the taillight area.

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
I actually haven't and I see your point which I understand. If I can get it unpainted for a cheaper price that would be wonderful. I paint my own cars and boats so I can take care of that. My bike is red and I'm planning on painting it black so I might get it unpainted to try to lower the cost as much as possible. The reason I like the duck tail is because of the taillight area.
Same here but the Ducati style one also has some pretty cool "vents" or ducts on the rider-facing side so... BONUS! I always thought they looked cool on a Ducati.

Old November 10th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #11
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Same here but the Ducati style one also has some pretty cool "vents" or ducts on the rider-facing side so... BONUS! I always thought they looked cool on a Ducati.
I read your other post, I'd you like I canpaint the part for you, nut it will take some time for me to do it and you need to get the paint since I don't have it.

I paint my cars and boats with pretty good results.

Old November 10th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
I read your other post, I'd you like I canpaint the part for you, nut it will take some time for me to do it and you need to get the paint since I don't have it.

I paint my cars and boats with pretty good results.
Well, I was looking for some place I could regularly take parts to. Like, if I bought a few unpainted solo seat cowls and needed to get each one painted a different color for a different customer. Because there are so many people here in SD, I was hoping someone would know of a local shop. Thanks though! I called a local Kawi dealer that has a paint shop inside (separate business) but their bike guy was out to lunch. I got the impression that that they do their own matching instead of going by ColorRite codes/Factory paint.

Old November 10th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #13
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Well, I was looking for some place I could regularly take parts to. Like, if I bought a few unpainted solo seat cowls and needed to get each one painted a different color for a different customer. Because there are so many people here in SD, I was hoping someone would know of a local shop. Thanks though! I called a local Kawi dealer that has a paint shop inside (separate business) but their bike guy was out to lunch. I got the impression that that they do their own matching instead of going by ColorRite codes/Factory paint.
For some reason I though you were in GA not in Cali, I think I saw CA and got confused with GA (Georgia). I didn't know you were thinking about painting a lot of parts so that's why I was offering to paint something for you to help you out, no charge.

Old November 10th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
For some reason I though you were in GA not in Cali, I think I saw CA and got confused with GA (Georgia). I didn't know you were thinking about painting a lot of parts so that's why I was offering to paint something for you to help you out, no charge.
I lived my whole life in Newnan, GA until I bought my Ninjette and moved out here. No doubt, you got that impression because I never stop talking about my home state. I still have a twin bro there who cross-ships with me all the time. I thank you anyway though. Heck, I might have the parts shipped to him if it's cheaper than shipping here directly (he can put them in the next larger package). If I can use your services, I'll gladly pay for them.

Old November 10th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #15
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

I think Newman is about 3 hours from Augusta. How do you like Cali? Expensive as hell, I guess?

Let me know, i'll be more than happy to help.
I think I might try to make a duck tail if matt can't get on for us, but I think is going to be a a bit difficult since I don't have that tail light.

Old November 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #16
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Incidentally, there are replacement bulbs/lenses available for that bike. If you really wanted to get that 'result', I bet you could probably cut the right sized holes into your stock tail sections and work the new signals in. Of course a mistake would mean ordering a new tail segment... That said, from time to time a spare tail part comes up in the marketplace. Depending on how much you want that look, might be worth the investment.

I simply went with replacing the stock rear signals with flush triangular ones and putting shims under 'em to get them to an angle for rear visibility.