ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old February 24th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #1
2012NewRider
ninjette.org member

Name: SAL

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

HID Headlight Installed

I bought the kit from HIDSRUS.COM and my low beam looks super white and awesome IMO.
2012NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012NewRider View Post
I bought the kit from HIDSRUS.COM and my low beam looks super white and awesome IMO.
Your highbeams will blind airplanes.
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
look at that glare

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94711
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #4
UltrA_09
ninjette.org member

Name: Ultra!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '09, SV650s '07

Riding with those lights puts other road users in danger.

Put your stock bulb back in ASAP until you can install a properly retrofitted HID/Projector setup.

Or if you are serious about having more light and not making the bike looks like "cheap" or "riced out", purchase some brighter Phillips halogen bulbs that belong in a reflector housing.
UltrA_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #5
2012NewRider
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltrA_09 View Post
Riding with those lights puts other road users in danger.

Put your stock bulb back in ASAP until you can install a properly retrofitted HID/Projector setup.

Or if you are serious about having more light and not making the bike looks like "cheap" or "riced out", purchase some brighter Phillips halogen bulbs that belong in a reflector housing.
It is an HID kit without the projector, If you look at the high-end cars with HID systems, not all of them use projectors.

If you look closely at the housing of the Ninja, it does NOT aim the light beam as high as the High (Right Side) Beam side.

Old February 25th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #6
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
If you look at the high-end cars with HID systems, not all of them use projectors.
Right, but the reflector in the ninja was designed for a Halogen bulb. Halogens and HIDs have very different reflector needs

Old February 25th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #7
UltrA_09
ninjette.org member

Quote:
It is an HID kit without the projector, If you look at the high-end cars with HID systems, not all of them use projectors.
I'm not entirely sure whether someone told you this, or whether you just read it online, but that simply isn't true. Any high-end car - or rather any car on the road that is fitted with HID bulbs as stock will have HID projectors installed as well; with the one exception that I know of being the Toyota Prius which incorporates a uniquely designed projector housing that properly deals with the light output created by an HID bulb.

Quote:
If you look closely at the housing of the Ninja, it does NOT aim the light beam as high as the High (Right Side) Beam side.
Just to clear things up, the ninja 250's light aim difference between low and high beam is fixed; when aiming the headlight housing up and down, the entire housing is adjusted which consequently affects both the low and high beam.

As for the HID bulb not emitting the light as high as the high beam, that doesn't mean - in any way - that the low beam light is properly aimed. By placing an HID bulb in a reflective housing, a tremendous amount of glare is created, as clearly shown by the picture posted. The difference between that and using an HID bulb in conjunction with an HID projector housing is very clear. When using a projector housing, there is a shield that creates a cut-off which limits the light from being projected past a certain degree/height; hence the name "cut-off shield". Any reflector housing, for obvious reasons, won’t have a cut-off shield.

Here's a clear picture of what a proper HID cut-off looks like:

Halogen bulbs in reflector housings don't have such a clear and concise cut off, though the light is still aimed none-the-less due to the design of the reflector in conjunction with the light output of the bulb. Reflectors won't properly aim the light emitted from HID bulbs simply because they aren't designed to handle such a light source.

Just to further prove this to be dangerous for other road users (and that includes other motorcyclists), here is a government test result of an HID PnP kit fitted in a (car) reflective housing.

...I just think it's in your best interest to have properly functional headlights; and that includes having them properly aimed. I highly recommend purchasing the Philips X-Treme Power H7 from www.powerbulbs.com for superior light output and low cost (2 per package, use one as low beam and one as spare); otherwise spend the money (usually ~$200-300, as well as time & effort) on an actual HID projectors/ballasts/bulbs set-up.

Old February 26th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #8
k24_cm7
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): '10 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltrA_09 View Post
I'm not entirely sure whether someone told you this, or whether you just read it online, but that simply isn't true. Any high-end car - or rather any car on the road that is fitted with HID bulbs as stock will have HID projectors installed as well; with the one exception that I know of being the Toyota Prius which incorporates a uniquely designed projector housing that properly deals with the light output created by an HID bulb.
There are two main HID bulbs, d2r and d2s , one is designed for projectors (D2S) and the other is designed for reflectors (D2R).

A few other cars with that exception would be the older acura tl's, nissan altimas,nissan maximas ,nissan muranos,acura csx , older benz, g35s, lexus is300 etc the list goes on

Old February 26th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #9
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

the refracture point of the glass makes a big difference like merc, bmw, audi, 300c.

the flare point of hid bulbs in reflector headlights (ninja 250r) is around 7 degrees.

so adjust the high beams inbetween low and high beam point on the road and not on a flat garage door or wall.
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #10
UltrA_09
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k24_cm7 View Post
There are two main HID bulbs, d2r and d2s , one is designed for projectors (D2S) and the other is designed for reflectors (D2R).

A few other cars with that exception would be the older acura tl's, nissan altimas,nissan maximas ,nissan muranos,acura csx , older benz, g35s, lexus is300 etc the list goes on
That's something I never knew about, thanks for the clarification. My main point though, which is that the Ninja 250's reflective housing was designed to handle a halogen light source (unlike the vehicles listed above), not an hid light source still stands.

Old February 26th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #11
2012NewRider
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slono View Post
Your highbeams will blind airplanes.
I didn't get the high beams cus I want to make an assembly that has projectors on both sides and both sides light up on low beam and high beam as well instead of looking like a broken headlight. I like the dual light look.

Old February 26th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #12
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
I didn't get the high beams cus I want to make an assembly that has projectors on both sides and both sides light up on low beam and high beam as well instead of looking like a broken headlight. I like the dual light look.
I highly suggest you do this. You'll have better visibility for yourself and not blind everyone coming your way. It's not as hard as you think, check out Tri's diy in the sticky. And if you want to use theretrofitsource, you can check mine out there as well.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
@ForceofWill do the morimoto mini's from theretrofitsource work in the sockets in that housing or do they have to be mounted on a new bracket like Tri did with his?

Old February 27th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #14
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

What's in this thread? I can't see anything with all the glare

Old February 28th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #15
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Its ok newrider, I'll be installing mine improperly tomorrow or wednesday too. You won't be alone. And aren't actually. Lol
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #16
2012NewRider
ninjette.org member

Cool cus I felt like I was alone in here. I was just trying to say I did something cool too my bike by starting this thread.

Old February 28th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #17
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Quote:
Cool cus I felt like I was alone in here. I was just trying to say I did something cool too my bike by starting this thread.
Lol deff not alone. If you search DDM, many riders use improper housings. Not saying it's right, but it's nothing I'd freak about. Many cars here have HID's in their improper housings any who. I figure as long as they're pointed down, then its all good.

Btw, what did you go with? I think I got 6500k 35 wat.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.

Old February 28th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #18
2012NewRider
ninjette.org member

I got the 8000K 35W. I like the blue/white look.

Old February 29th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #19
UltrA_09
ninjette.org member

I know it may have seemed like some of the comments were harsh or mean for disagreeing with how cool you HID lights were, but I don't think anyone actually means to the embarrass or upset you. The reason for all the disapproving comments is because we hope that by evaluating our own judgement of what you've done, you would decide to remove your HID bulbs and proceed in a manner that actually gives you an improvement in light, as well as keeping others on the road safe.

There are many reasons not to install HID bulbs in a stock halogen reflective housing (like safety, actual light output, and legality), yet some people still decide to do it, and it comes off as careless/lazy to everyone else.

The bike is yours, so at the end of the day there isn't much that we can do to try and convince you to do things properly; I just hope you take it upon yourself to actually improve your motorcycle (by any of the suggestions listed above, which are time & cost efficient) instead of making yourself a hazard.

I'm sure then you'll get the reaction you expected

Old March 2nd, 2012, 03:18 AM   #20
Mr.E
That rider dude.

I will agree with everyone though, it would be much better to get proper. Lol.

Buuuuttttt
Im going to install mine in the morning Sal, any tips?

Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:50 AM   #21
2012NewRider
ninjette.org member

Just don't attach your ballast too close to your turn signal wires.