ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old June 15th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #1
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Thumbs down Semi-DIY $0 flush mount FAIL! (Need Help)

I thought that this DIY would be easy for me to do but, I messed up.
I am not blaming anyone else in anyway btw.

So first of all, to file off the sides took me hours to do. This was either due to the old file I was using or that I just did not know how to file correctly. Well, to make this thread short, I messed up on sealing the turn signals onto the fairings. It did not come out smooth and clean at all and looks like a 5 year-old pasted them on. I tried to fix the job by buying a black caulk sealant from home depot, but this just made the paste look like bird crap when it mixed with the clear sealant.
Little did I know that the clear sealant/adhesive (I used the SEAL-ALL brand) after it cures, is VERY strong. For some reason when I read that DIY, I thought sealant/adhesives ended up in a rubbery type texture and was easy to peel off. These signals wont budge and I am scared to try and break them off because it may take some off the fairing paint with it.

Does anyone know of any sealant/adhesive removers that do not damage the finish on the fairings? Would paint thinner do a clean job?

Oh, and I plan on taking action once my exhaust comes in, in about a month or so when I have to take off the fairings. And my current solution to this mess was to cover up the bad work with left over rim tape

once I get my hands on a camera I will show pics but, I am pretty embarrassed to show y'all
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #2
i916it
ninjette.org member

Name: Sky

Motorcycle(s): 250R 08

Maybe you should have used silicon as a sealant instead?
That way, you could heatgun it off?

Just a thought, not sure if that would work.
i916it is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Lucky, I'm sorry to hear that man. If you don't want to post pictures, maybe just give us a better idea of where it is that needs cleaning up.

Where is the messy sealant/adhesive? None of it should really be visible unless the outer rim of the chrome piece (to seat the clear piece) is where it was messily applied. Or was it alot of excess sealant oozing out when you seated the chrome piece into the fairing hole?

I definitely wouldn't use paint thinner to try and clear it out. The best bet now is to apply a mixture of the clear and black sealants you used onto something else and try different things to try and break it down/make it mouldable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
For some reason when I read that DIY, I thought sealant/adhesives ended up in a rubbery type texture and was easy to peel off.
It's supposed to. I've worked with three different kinds and all have come out like that and I had to peel some off my old bike when I went to patch/paint the fairings. Can you post the type of sealant/adhesive you used? Maybe someone has worked with it before.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #4
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

acetone will usually dissolve stuff, but you'll have to be really careful with the paint - you might also try something oil-based like goo gone
good luck!
I like Tim's suggestion about making the mixture on some other surface and trying different things there

Old June 15th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #5
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
acetone will usually dissolve stuff, but you'll have to be really careful with the paint - you might also try something oil-based like goo gone
good luck!
I like Tim's suggestion about making the mixture on some other surface and trying different things there
ya forgot about googone! try that or even wd40 to try and make it more flexible/pliable.

Old June 15th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #6
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Lucky... for moral support... I'm a professional restorer and deal with paints, glues and sealants all day long. I went to tint the windscreen on my bike and absolutely destroyed it. Don't feel bad, things happen. In fact, I bet if we dig back far enough even Kelly has made a mistake or two.

Posting pictures can be upsetting, but in the end you know we are here to help and not blast you. We've all done it, if we haven't, we will. Pictures would probably help in this situation. Besides, someone may have done it before and hasn't posted. Maybe they found the answer you are looking for.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #7
kkim

Yes, I made the mistake of parting the Red Sea at low tide... what a mess when the tide came in!

Lucky, post some pics... it's the best way for people to see what's wrong and for them to suggest ways to help. What exactly did it say in the sealant you used? name, brand, type, etc.? everything usually has a solvent to break it down, but first we need to know what it is to suggest one.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #8
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

thanks everyone, give me one more day to get me hands on a camera.

Old June 15th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #9
Jiu Jitsu Player
Live 2 Ride Forced 2 Work

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 RED 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Lucky... for moral support... I'm a professional restorer and deal with paints, glues and sealants all day long. I went to tint the windscreen on my bike and absolutely destroyed it. Don't feel bad, things happen. In fact, I bet if we dig back far enough even Kelly has made a mistake or two.
But now her windscreen is just awesome!!!

www.7milesdown.com
Jiu Jitsu Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #10
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Man that sucks howard. I'll throw in flushmounts at cost in your order if you need them. I'd tape around it a cut off the end then sand it back and stuff LED's in there. The only stuff I know that will take them out you don't want near paint.

Old July 10th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #11
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Update

Who ever knew that getting a specified camera link would be so difficult. But here are the pictures of my fail. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I plan on working on the signals when my exhaust comes in, in about 3 weeks or so when I actually have to take off the fairing(s).

DSC00763.jpg DSC00764.jpg DSC00765.jpg DSC00766.jpg DSC00768.jpg

Old July 10th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #12
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Howard I will Throw in a pair of LED's with your order for free. Since ETA is about the 9th for the shipment finger crossed (I loath ocean freight grr) its the least I can do.

Old July 10th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #13
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
Howard I will Throw in a pair of LED's with your order for free. Since ETA is about the 9th for the shipment finger crossed (I loath ocean freight grr) its the least I can do.
thank you very much! ^^

Old July 10th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #14
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
Who ever knew that getting a specified camera link would be so difficult. But here are the pictures of my fail. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I plan on working on the signals when my exhaust comes in, in about 3 weeks or so when I actually have to take off the fairing(s).
have you tried any of our suggestions? primarily goo gone? can you pry any of it off just with your fingernails or a qtip/toothpick?

Old July 11th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #15
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

There is only on thing strong enough to do it right but i don't know the effect on the plastic I will test it tomorrow. Air Craft stripper will take it off for certain. Mask off A very small area around the signals and it may do the job then only touch up will be needed. The LEd's I'm sending you should cover most of what is treated.

Old July 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #16
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

air craft stripper will rip right through the paint - maybe the plastic. i use air craft stripper to prep metal for paint
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #17
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Name: JaeL

Motorcycle(s): 2008 EX250r

What about using epoxy that people use for repairing fairings to glue this sigs to the fairing?

Old July 11th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #18
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
air craft stripper will rip right through the paint - maybe the plastic. i use air craft stripper to prep metal for paint

I know it will rip through the paint. Thats Why I said mask it off to minimize the attack on the paint. I just wasn't sure about the plastic but I will let you know shortly.

Old July 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #19
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

All of that stuff on there will not budge and I did not try any suggestions yet because like I said, I am probably going to start this project as soon as the exhaust comes in so I can merely devote a full day to my bike due to other priorities. And I am kinda getting used to just covering it up with extra rim tape, I do not think it looks TOO bad

Old July 11th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #20
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Just checked and the aircraft stripper does not eat through plastic on the bike. Doesn't even effect it. Great oppurtunity for a two toned look redesign excuse