ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Track Day or School first?

I did some light searching and didn't find anything, which was a big surprise -- so new thread time

I did a bad bad thing and tried on a one piece last week ( http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbi...ady.html?cat=9 ) and now have a bit of the bug to get it and maybe bring my little Ninja out for some harder riding. I basically see two options: Try to sign up for the next newbie track day or look at signing up for a school (a la Cali Super Bike school for example). I'm at a bit of a loss as to which I should do first.

On the one hand, school first would help make sure I don't develop any bad habits, and am getting solid direction. On the other, going in with only a few months riding experience might mean I'm wasting the money and the teacher's time. Flip side, track day first might let me work a bit better at my own pace, but I might not learn much from it other than my Ninja goes Vrroooom Vrrooom.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't think I have the budget to do both in short order, so picking is hard.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I'd say school first or as early as possible. Although one trackday beforehand to get comfy with riding on a track wouldn't be a bad idea
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

related thread:

How much riding experience did you have before your first track day?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

well the track that im going to only has a "racing school", they teach you how to race, they encourage you to push your self. A regular track day at that track is more relaxed, learning experience, instructors will ride with you if you ask for help. So make sure you know exactly what kind of school you would be going into.
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Thanks Old Lemon, I was specifically considering the "Level 1" class at the Superbike school at either Vegas or Willow Springs, though if anyone from the Vegas/LA area has any suggestions I'm all ears

Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

I'm looking at organizing the next noobie day for March. That would be March 29th a FRIDAY at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway. Not sure how well that would work for you, but something to think about.

I'll probably post up a "feeler" thread about it in January. Why so far away? The length gives people plenty of time to request off of work and save their money so that they can get new tires, all of the proper gear, and save up for everything else involved.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Sweet, I was sad I missed the last one but the time off work wasn't there nor was the money for the gear. March would be cutting it close budget wise but it gives me a goal to strive for!

Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

I would do April but then it'll be about 100 somethings degrees out there. That just seems like a cruel thing to do to first time track riders haha.
CVMA #531

Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:10 PM   #9
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Sweet, I was sad I missed the last one but the time off work wasn't there nor was the money for the gear. March would be cutting it close budget wise but it gives me a goal to strive for!
I'm in a similar boat. Good to have goals though, I guess.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
I'm looking at organizing the next noobie day for March. That would be March 29th a FRIDAY at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway. Not sure how well that would work for you, but something to think about.

I'll probably post up a "feeler" thread about it in January. Why so far away? The length gives people plenty of time to request off of work and save their money so that they can get new tires, all of the proper gear, and save up for everything else involved.
Why not do a weekend so it's easier for people? I know most people start with trackdaz, and chuckwalla is a nice track, but there are a lot of great and very helpful orgs and days to choose from. Plus, tracks like willow springs even offer facilities within driving distance to make it less stressful and more accessible. I get the "show them a race weekend" thing, but once people go to the track, I have no doubts that they'll be having enough fun without having to see the actual races that they'll get there once they're fully stricken with the bug. Make the next one easier for everyone with one of these bajillion choices:

2013 Combined Track Day, School, and Race List
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:29 PM   #11
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

1) because I can show them the race weekend
2) because I can get a ride to a trackdaz event with a racer, an other org would be more difficult for me
3) because race fridays are cheaper for me

it's basically all about me.
CVMA #531

Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:32 PM   #12
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

Quote:
2) because I can get a ride to a trackdaz event with a racer, an other org would be more difficult for me

BAM.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:36 PM   #13
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:

1) Because it was clearly worth it for everyone to stay in the middle of BFE with nothing at all when they aren't even getting to ride? Because you can't just talk to people about it while they enjoy a day about them?
2) EVERYONE LIVES IN SOUTHBAY so you can get carpools to pretty much anywhere and even make even more friends
3) Most orgs offer racer discounts. You'd pay about the same for a day at willow with ti2tt. True story.

Now stfu and make a newbie day for the newbies and not just for captain fail's ego

Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:40 PM   #14
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Damnnnnnnnnnn somebody is made!

2:13.3
CVMA #531

Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:42 PM   #15
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

That wasn't even a comeback. I'm just trying to get you to expand your horizons a little, bro

Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:08 PM   #16
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
That wasn't even a comeback. I'm just trying to get you to expand your horizons a little, bro
Something needs to be expanded

Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:18 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:

1. Race weekend was boring, except for kit and jon crashing, that was awesome
2. 9.5hr drive in 12 year old sedan towing 1200lbs up the grapevine... just sayin'
3. I will give you $20 worth of beer
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #18
SPG
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninjette

Yakaru, I recommend CSS for a first trackday experience/instruction. My wife only had a few months of riding before doing level 1 and 2 and the instructors were great. They are very good at tailoring the instruction to your riding level, from beginner to expert. I also went there for my first track experineces and then took their race school. It is likely to be the most regimented and safely run trackday you will find, which will make your first time experience that much more comfortable.

FWIW, the "Level 1, 2, etc." that CSS uses relate more to subject matter than riding level. More like installment 1, 2, etc...
SPG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #19
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Thanks for the feedback SPG,

I'm doing budgeting now but with that feedback this is my rough todo list/plan:

1. Get track gear -- while my street gear is pretty solid, at least I think so, the onepiece/full helmet requirement tosses my two piece and modular right out. A Dainese Victoria, Wave Back Protector, and Schuberth SR1 (My C3w fits me PERFECTLY, so I have a bit of brand loyalty now) will run me ~$2500 >.<

2. Get Momaru out here -- my thanks for his help rebuilding my bike was a trip out west for a track day and vacation of canyon riding California's twisties. Plane tickets are running ~$450, bike transport round trip is coming in at $1000 (from haulbikes -- see my thread here: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117877)

3. Get signed up for the school (How far in advance should I do this?) - $780 for 2 people 'bring your own bike' at Willow Springs

All in all this track thing is going to run me $5000 -- yeouch -- this track thing better be as fun as I've heard!

Old December 4th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #20
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Holy jesus. You're coming from vegas and flying? Rent a truck for the weekend and strap the bikes in! Jiggles come from farther than Vegas for the last track day and his cost, including gear, was ~$1,200. Do not have bikes professionally hauled and fly, that's so expensive!

Also, two-piece suits are allowed as long as they zip together with a 360 degree zipper. So are modular helmets as long as you have it in the full-face form, I believe.
CVMA #531

Old December 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #21
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Momaru lives in Virginia.

Old December 4th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #22
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Cheaper to hire a hit man and not owe anybody any favors
CVMA #531

Old December 4th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #23
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Have I mentioned I love you recently?

Old December 5th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #24
SPG
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninjette

Make Momaru ride those beater S1000RR's. Only $200 more and saves shipping a bike... That said, Streets is nearly the perfect track for the Ninjette.

2 piece leathers will do fine for the CSS schools, you'll want a 1 piece soon enough but not a requirement yet.

As for registering, I would do so as soon as you are ready. They will give a full refund (minus like 3% for CC charges) up to 2 weeks prior, but the classes DO fill up quickly. As an example, I went to sign up for their CodeRace school 1 day after they announced the 2013 schedule (2-3 weeks ago) and it was full. CodeRace is only 18 people and only twice a year, so it is an extreme example, but, if you see a class you want, book it!

Have fun!
-Sean
SPG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #25
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

My first trackday was with the CSS at SoW with the 250 after 6 months of riding (~2000 Miles)

The school has very specific drills you work on during each session. Most of the Level 1 drills are about how to think/where to look through a turn. Sounds simple but if you're new to riding, those skills take a while to learn.

I highly recommend CSS for those just starting out.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #26
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
The rental would work but Paul's never ridden a 1k (unless he's hiding something from me) and it wouldn't work for the other ~13 days we'd want to ride together.

Regardless, I'll be booking our reservations in January by the looks

Old December 6th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #27
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
The rental would work but Paul's never ridden a 1k .............
Yakaru,

For such an adventure, air traveling and expenses, I wouldn't go for a regular track day.

I understand that not all trackdays' organizations are the same, but I only did a Newbies' track day, and, unfortunately, my skills and knowledge remained exactly the same.

Classroom instruction was 10 minutes: "follow the control rider and don't pass". We went around the circuit several times during a hot summer day, increasing speed progressively; that was it.

I rented the one-piece suit there and used my pre-gen Ninjette with street tires, nothing fancy, and the whole thing was a walk in the park with the only excitement of Hayabusas' flying by me at light-speeds on the two long straights.

No more regular track days for me after that poor experience; I have learned much more practicing Moto Gymkhana on an empty parking lot.

Check this thread about Cali Super Bike school:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106032

Maybe the two-day camp would give both of you more for your money in smaller groups.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #28
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I'm currently in a similar predicament right now... I really want to attend the CSS event, but at 1300$ for 3 days (including bike transport and airfare) it's way out of my budget... A track day, on the other hand will cost me only 200$ or so + fuel...

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #29
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
I did some light searching and didn't find anything, which was a big surprise -- so new thread time

I did a bad bad thing and tried on a one piece last week ( http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbi...ady.html?cat=9 ) and now have a bit of the bug to get it and maybe bring my little Ninja out for some harder riding. I basically see two options: Try to sign up for the next newbie track day or look at signing up for a school (a la Cali Super Bike school for example). I'm at a bit of a loss as to which I should do first.

On the one hand, school first would help make sure I don't develop any bad habits, and am getting solid direction. On the other, going in with only a few months riding experience might mean I'm wasting the money and the teacher's time. Flip side, track day first might let me work a bit better at my own pace, but I might not learn much from it other than my Ninja goes Vrroooom Vrrooom.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't think I have the budget to do both in short order, so picking is hard.
My suggestion is school first and I guarantee it will not be a waste of time to do level 1 at CSS. School would absolutely make sure you don't develop any bad habits and would give you the proper tools to be able to make the most out of a track day after.

A few months of riding experience is just fine and you won't be wasting money or the instructors time, at all. We have riders of all skill levels and as someone mentioned the instructors are experts at tailoring the drills to each riders specific skill level and speed. At CSS you can absolutely work at your own pace, you ride at whatever speed you are comfortable with and you work on one specific drill at a time while the instructor watches you and leads you.

Learning the skills first, before hitting the track is a better way to utilize your time and money and will make it much more likely that you will keep the bike upright when you do "take it to the track."

If you have ANY specific questions about the school then let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Yakaru, I recommend CSS for a first trackday experience/instruction. My wife only had a few months of riding before doing level 1 and 2 and the instructors were great. They are very good at tailoring the instruction to your riding level, from beginner to expert. I also went there for my first track experineces and then took their race school. It is likely to be the most regimented and safely run trackday you will find, which will make your first time experience that much more comfortable.

FWIW, the "Level 1, 2, etc." that CSS uses relate more to subject matter than riding level. More like installment 1, 2, etc...
Good points too about the track day being regimented and safely run. A lot of track organizations kind of just "chuck you in" to track riding and don't walk you through the process in a way that makes new riders feel really comfortable. CSS has guided orientation laps, then you are on track with your own personal coach 3:1 ratio and all the on track coaches and corner workers are keeping a careful eye on what goes on with all the students so we can keep everyone safe, upright and having a lot of fun!

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback SPG,

I'm doing budgeting now but with that feedback this is my rough todo list/plan:

1. Get track gear -- while my street gear is pretty solid, at least I think so, the onepiece/full helmet requirement tosses my two piece and modular right out. A Dainese Victoria, Wave Back Protector, and Schuberth SR1 (My C3w fits me PERFECTLY, so I have a bit of brand loyalty now) will run me ~$2500 >.<

2. Get Momaru out here -- my thanks for his help rebuilding my bike was a trip out west for a track day and vacation of canyon riding California's twisties. Plane tickets are running ~$450, bike transport round trip is coming in at $1000 (from haulbikes -- see my thread here: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117877)

3. Get signed up for the school (How far in advance should I do this?) - $780 for 2 people 'bring your own bike' at Willow Springs

All in all this track thing is going to run me $5000 -- yeouch -- this track thing better be as fun as I've heard!
It is a fun as you have heard and you better start saving more because as soon as you do it once you will be hooked and have to keep coming back for more

Again, let me know if you have any questions about the school, I've been coaching with them since the beginning of 2004
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #30
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

IMHHO, I would do a school first. Preferably something like Keith Code's California Superbike School or Jason Pridmore's STAR school. If you ride canyons regularly and can hang then I would lean more towards Jason Pridmore's STAR school and be in the beginner's group. However you cannot go wrong with either one of the schools I mentioned or others.

If it's not possible to take a school then I would highly suggest a trackday with TrackXperience and take their first time rider's school. Their first time riders program IMO is top notch out of all track orgs I have seen. They give you a good handout that talks about track riding, track ettiquette, body position, etc. If you're in Vegas, I believe they do some days at Pahrump, NV...so totally convenient for you.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 9th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #31
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Can't believe I'm saying this but Tiff's @Zombiphone right, Max. @Trailerboy531
Stop sucking yourself and set the next one on a weekend so people wouldn't have to take days off and sh!t.

I'll take your sorry a$$ and your bike to track if you need.

<3
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #32
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Also Chuckwalla isn't the only track around here.

Just thought you should know.

Hell, it should be at Streets so everyone can commute easily. It's a technical as hell track which would be amazing for the noobies. Versus a more higher speed one which would be harder to get used to for them.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote