Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #1
wtfbuck
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Too soon for a track school?

I was hoping to get some input from you veteran riders. I want to go do the track school at Jennings here in FL. My question, is it ever too early to go do this? I've done the BRC and have only 600 miles of riding under my belt. But i'm itching to go to a track. Eventual regular track days are the whole reason I got started in motorcycling.

So will this track school be a benefit to me this early or should I wait until I've gotten more experience.

Thanks for the help.
wtfbuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Never too early IMHO.

Street riding and tracking is completely different. In the sense that street riding requires more survival skills than cornering skills. But a lot of what you learn on the track can be transferred to the streets (i.e. cornering).
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #3
kkim

I'd say if you are comfortable on the basics of operating a motorcycle (shifting, clutch, brakes, etc.), you'll be fine at a track school, no matter how little miles you have under your belt.

In fact, I think that would be the best training you could get from a learning to ride standpoint. Start early and avoid having to unlearn bad habits.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #4
wtfbuck
ninjette.org member

Perfect, these are the exact answers I wanted to hear. Thanks guys.

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #5
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

hey can you tell me more about the school?
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #6
wtfbuck
ninjette.org member

I haven't done too much research yet but the website says its a 7 rider max group on the track at a time with an instructor. And hopefully they give you feedback and training all at the same time.

Looks like its 250 bucks. Pretty expensive but I think thats worth paying for a noob like me.

Heres the link.

http://www.jenningsgp.com/trackschool.htm

They have one coming up april 15th that I may try to attend.

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #7
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Go for it!

Best training you can get is on the track. Jennings is a great track. Motorcycles only, so the track is in great shape.

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbuck View Post

Looks like its 250 bucks. Pretty expensive but I think thats worth paying for a noob like me.
sounds to me like a bargain and money well spent!

Old March 29th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #9
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '04 Aprilia RSV, '10 Bonneville, '10 Ninjette

Good luck with it! I just did 3 back to back track days at Jennings in February. It is a super fun track with the 250. I brought an Aprilia down with me, but borrowed a friend's 250 for a bunch of laps. Loved it so much, I got home, sold the Aprilia, and bought a 250

You kinda run out of steam on the two straight sections, but they aren't super long, so it's no biggie. The back turns (5-12) are tight and the 250 gives you a TON of freedom to pick lines because its so light and flickable.

I think one of the biggest benefits of visiting the track is that it really allows you to get a feel for what the bike can do in a much safer environment than you can ever find on the street. Enjoy it!

Old March 29th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #10
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

It's never too soon. I suggest you sign up for their Novice Day, it is a great way to get you introduced to track riding. The groups are very small (on purpose) to give the most instructor-student contact time.

Jennings is a great track; It's actually an instructional track. Everything is marked (corner numbers, brake points, turn in points, etc.) so you know where you are at all times.
The whole day you will go back and forth from classroom instruction to track sessions, then back to classroom for feedback, Q&As, then more insturction. They will start you from the very basics and you won't be in a position where you'll find yourself in over your head. It will do wonders for your confidence in the bike, but most importantly, in yourself as a rider.

You'll also get a certificate to do a regular track day for $100.00, normally it's $130 if you pre-register and $150 if you don't. The owner and the CRs will make your time and $ well worth it.

It's never too soon, get out there, learn, and have fun! Hope to see you soon at a regular track day.

-Joel
WERA #273 Novice
Boogeyman Racing.

Last futzed with by JS73; March 29th, 2011 at 08:03 AM.
JS73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Go for it if you will be on your own bike. By the price I assume you won't be on the schools bikes. One thing to consider is you need to be willing to lay your bike down. It's never anyone's intention to crash, but it does happen. If you're not willing to accept that then you should not be pushing your bike to the level of track riding. If possible pick up some race bodywork prior to the school date. It's well worth the money.

Old March 29th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #12
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_EOD View Post
One thing to consider is you need to be willing to lay your bike down. It's never anyone's intention to crash, but it does happen. If you're not willing to accept that then you should not be pushing your bike to the level of track riding.
You bring up a good point... Does one's normal insurance policy cover any damage that might occur during these "instructional days". I know on a car forum I was on, it was covered as long as it was not called a "race". Does the same thing apply to bikes in this case?

Old March 29th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Pretty much. The key words in most policies are "timed event". Though, some policies have started to exclude all activities on racetracks, so it never hurts to check.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #14
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

I believe my insurance uses the "timed event" nomenclature.

Old March 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #15
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Here in Florida, State Farm will cover non "timed events" like track days and "instructional days/schools". Peanut_EOD made a great point, crashes do happen, think about it if you can't accept the posibility of wrecking your bike.

Speaking of Insurance, one thing worth mentioning is Health Insurance, to me this is very important. If you do not have it, you should not be on the track IMO. The bike is just parts and can wait for repairs, us riders on the other hand...
WERA #273 Novice
Boogeyman Racing.
JS73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #16
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Good point on the health insurance. We are required to have medical insurance to race.

Old March 29th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #17
Kawi_LA
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi 250r

Every insurance company is different but typically as long as it's not a "race" (i.e. there is no winner) then it should be covered. I have heard there are a few companies who do not cover track incidents at all though, not sure exactly which ones. Just call and they should be able tell you.

As far as the earlier question of too early, I say it's never too early as long as you're responsible and know your own limitations. You have to go out there and ride within your own comfort and make sure you have a good first experience. I first rode the track only a few months after learning to ride the bike and I think it was the best thing ever. I gradually rode the track more and more, always becoming a better rider both on the track and on the street.

Just be careful, it can become an addiction!
Kawi_LA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #18
wtfbuck
ninjette.org member

Awesome I have state farm insurance and I'm lucky to still be covered under my fathers health insurance due to being in school. Heres hoping I wont have to use any of it

Old March 29th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #19
wtfbuck
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi_LA View Post
Just be careful, it can become an addiction!
I want it to become an addiction. I waste too much money on a whole bunch of different things. If I could consolidate my money wasting I'd be much better off.

Old March 29th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #20
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Once you've done a few track days you'll find that riding on the street becomes more calm and enjoyable. I find myself riding much slower and controlled on the street since I can go all out on the track.

Old March 29th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #21
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_EOD View Post
Once you've done a few track days you'll find that riding on the street becomes more calm and enjoyable. I find myself riding much slower and controlled on the street since I can go all out on the track.
which is why my advice to the members that post about "blitzing" around on the streets has always been... "take it to the track".

Old March 29th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #22
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
which is why my advice to the members that post about "blitzing" around on the streets has always been... "take it to the track".
I'm with you 100%

Old March 30th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #23
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

When is too early to do a track school? I hear this question a lot and it depends on the person. For me, 6am is too early but some might not think so...
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 09:14 AM   #24
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Never too early IMHO.

Street riding and tracking is completely different. In the sense that street riding requires more survival skills than cornering skills. But a lot of what you learn on the track can be transferred to the streets (i.e. cornering).
+1, Street riding is far more dangerous than track IMO. Too many distractions on public roads to take your attention away from learning the capabilities of your vehicle.

Once you know the capabilities of your vehicle, you are more likely to be able to get yourself out of trouble on public roads instead of slamming on the brakes when you spot trouble.

Sometimes, getting out of trouble means that you have to get off the pavement and ride it out on the grass/dirt.. that applies on the track and road.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 08:07 PM   #25
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

I want to go to there

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:53 AM   #26
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Sometimes, getting out of trouble means that you have to get off the pavement and ride it out on the grass/dirt.. that applies on the track and road.
+1. I laid down some off-road tracks coming into Turn 1 at Jennings

Old April 1st, 2011, 08:24 AM   #27
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

Rossi style passing:

"A" is offline   Reply With Quote