ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 5th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #1
ozmani
ninjette.org newbie

Name: oz

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r 2010

Electrical problems?

I bought a ninja 250 2010 as my first bike and have had it for a month now with absolutely no problems

The bike now backfires from cold starts and after 2 min of riding the headlight starts to flicker. When the bike is in neutral at a light the green N starts to flicker as well and the bike doesn't seem to want to change to 1st I push down and it just goes back up into neutral I have to roll forward a little and push it in to get it to change. The click feeling of being pushed into1st is no longer there as well it just kinda slips into it no sound or feedback that its been changed.

when I turn the bike on even if I let it idle for 5min and changing from N to 1st it all feels and looks normal it's just after I get it moving that it starts playing up.

It's last "full" service was done 500km ago and battery is giving proper readings.

Anyone else have this issue or know how I can fix it?
ozmani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #2
S1att3r
ninjette.org member

Name: Raygan

Motorcycle(s): White 2013 Ninja 300(Storm), Silver 2003 Fjr1300

Welcome I don't know about your other problems but having to roll the bike to get it in first from neutral or even second gear is normal. My bike is new and it does it all the time just something to get used to.
S1att3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to the site, Oz !!!

Check oil level and condition (take a sample, pinch a drop and see how much you can pull your fingers apart without the film breaking, also smell it).

Readings on the battery should be taken under load in order to demonstrate condition.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Even though your battery maybe showing proper voltage, check your terminals for tightness. Loose terminals can cause the lights to flicker.
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Battery

Check your adjustment on your check lever to make sure the clutch is fully disengaging. You may also want to use a little engine braking when slowing (under 15 mph). This will help going from N-1st. My guess is you are probably coasting a bit either with the clutch pulled in or in neutral, then trying to put the bike in first while stopped.

Also make sure your idle speed is set properly(1300-1350) when fully warmed. You shouldn't need to let it idle more than a minute or so with the choke on.

An occasional pop or backfire on start up is normal, however if it happens often, you may want to have your carbs checked, also try not to turn the throttle too much prior to starting.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #5
ozmani
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the quick replies, this is the first time I have ever posted anything on a forum and Im very impressed.
Only reason Im worried is I paid $1000 AUD for my bike at a mechanics when I first got it. they were told to check the bike front to end and fix everything and all these problems popped up at the same time (it wasn't doing all those things three days ago) and I don't really have anymore money to throw at it
Seeing as its 4am right now in Sydney, Ill wait till the sun decides to rock up to do some of these checks and Ill get back.
Once again thanks.

Old March 5th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #6
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
That bike is possessed. I've seen it before and the only solution is burn the bike at the stake (or was that burn it by mistake). Anyway, be very careful. The bike has a mind of it's own.

Old March 5th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #7
ozmani
ninjette.org newbie

And here I was thinking it might be electrical silly me.
Do I need holy water as well or can I just throw a lighter at it?

Old March 5th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

This is the golden rule of thumb:

If it cannot solved with a hammer, it is an electrical problem.

Old March 5th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
does that rule work with women too?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 5th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
does that rule work with women too?
That depends whether she likes being hammered or not. Some don't like all that dickering around and prefer just a shot of peniscillin to cure the problem quickly.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i guess it makes sense, if it can't be hammered, its an electrical problem. just replace the vibrator batteries.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmani View Post
..........Seeing as its 4am right now in Sydney, Ill wait till the sun decides to rock up to do some of these checks and Ill get back.
Once again thanks.
Any updates, Ozmani?

You are welcome

Mechanical or electrical problem?

Old March 6th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #13
ozmani
ninjette.org newbie

Yeah just got back from uni was very worried decided to take it apart in the parking lot.
removed all the fuses they (had this white powder forming on them) cleaned them off unscrewed the battery cleaned the connections and put it back together, rode it back home for 1hr straight with no flickering or any neutral locking issues don't know exactly if it was the battery connections or fuses but I'm glad its up and running like usual again.
Excited to be back on the road with my bike working properly hopefully it stays that way

Old March 6th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #14
Z300
Ninja noobie

Name: NOOBIE

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies, this is the first time I have ever posted anything on a forum and Im very impressed.
Only reason Im worried is I paid $1000 AUD for my bike at a mechanics when I first got it. they were told to check the bike front to end and fix everything and all these problems popped up at the same time (it wasn't doing all those things three days ago) and I don't really have anymore money to throw at it
Seeing as its 4am right now in Sydney, Ill wait till the sun decides to rock up to do some of these checks and Ill get back.
Once again thanks.
1000? really where from?
Z300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
.........removed all the fuses they (had this white powder forming on them) cleaned them off unscrewed the battery cleaned the connections and put it back together, rode it back home for 1hr straight with no flickering or any neutral locking issues don't know exactly if it was the battery connections or fuses.......
Rather than a hammer, you will need this:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...d=299674#Cross

Old March 6th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #16
ozmani
ninjette.org newbie

A place in Marricville 64-70 sydenham RD its really close to the train station they also repaint. did the whole bike and upgraded my fork oil and replaced my seals as well. if you end up going just tell her a guy with a lime green 2010 ninja referred me and told me you were cheap. sent a mate told him to say the same thing and they replaced his oil, brake fluid and sliders for $300 (it can't hurt).
They were actually $270 cheaper than the next lowest quote I got $750 for service including new front Tyre, air filter and brake pads. $200 for front suspension upgrade.

Old March 6th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #17
ozmani
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the link motofool, I couldn't find my hammer
Bought the 3 in 1 contact cleaner it worked really well. Absolutely flew through the can tho.
I think its having a placebo effect my ride feels crazy smooth