ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 11th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #1
polecat
ninjette.org member

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 89 kawasaki ninja 250

89 250 been sitting a long time

here is what I have its an 89 250 with 7000 miles on it been sitting for almost 10 years and now I'm trying to get it running. It is not the original motor so I have no idea how many miles or the condition it is in. The cam chain tensioner was missing a spring and was known to be bad and supposedly was never run like that the guy I bought it from says he put the motor in had a shop get the timing right and they told him the tensioner was bad so he left it sit. So here is where it stands now replaced spark plugs and cam chain tensioner, changed the oil, drained the fuel tank, cleaned the carbs and the pet cock, replaced fuel line, put new battery in and she cranks but never even tries to fire. Need some ideas on this one this bike has been sitting for almost 10 years I have no history on her other than the original motor spun a bearing doing burn outs and this is a junk yard motor. I am ok with trouble shooting just not sure where to start to look for problems at. Need some ideas of what to check first to get me going. All electrical seems to be good (doesn't mean it is though). Also I tried to roll start it and got nothing when I pop the clutch it does nothing still rolls like its in neutral so I may just need to get a new motor and trans but I don't know enough about bikes yet to know for sure need some info on where to go from here.
polecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #2
ckholloway
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Works just like a car. If you have spark and fuel it should run. So make sure the fuel is getting through the carbs and then check to make sure you have spark.

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #3
polecat
ninjette.org member

right I have spark but don't know if its enough and I have fuel at the float bowls. I put a clear line on there so I can see it going through the line so its going somewhere but I don't know if its going to the right place but its not leaking anywhere. I am thinking I need to check compression but when I did the valve adjustment and was turning the engine by hand compression definitely built up on the intake stroke.

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #4
ckholloway
ninjette.org member

Ok so here is what I would do. Get a spray bottle and mist fuel into the intake and hit the starter. She should kick and try to start. From there check comp. and if that seems ok then you need to find out if fuel is getting out of the carbs and into the intake. Yes checking valves is also a good idea.

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #5
polecat
ninjette.org member

good call on spraying fuel in I will go try that here in a few minutes I guess my big concern is that with dumping the clutch and the bike not doing anything but rolling like it is in neutral am I wasting my time getting it running anyway or is that normal for a bike (I know its not for a car)

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #6
ckholloway
ninjette.org member

My 250 won't go into 2nd if it's not running, so are you sure you had it in gear? The other thing you could do is check the comp. before misting the fuel that way you know if to check the valves or not.
If the comp. is low then the first thing would check valve clearance and re-evaluate.

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #7
polecat
ninjette.org member

ok that's good to know the neutral light goes out on the gauges and if I crank it like that the bike will lunge for a spit second the first time I hit the starter so I am pretty sure it is going into gear could be a clutch problem too though as everything is out of adjustment right now and compression I thought was good but I am gonna reevaluate that time to go rent a compression tool and find out for sure I guess

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #8
ckholloway
ninjette.org member

keep me informed.

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I've roll-started my 2008 many times. It will not continue rolling like it's in neutral... being in gear means much higher rolling resistance. There must be something very wrong if 1st gear feels like neutral. Is that not what you were trying to say?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #10
polecat
ninjette.org member

will do thanks for the quick responses

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #11
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I have a suggestion that is a more simple one - kickstand sensor? Just a thought. Probably not, but that popped in my head just now.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #12
polecat
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I've roll-started my 2008 many times. It will not continue rolling like it's in neutral... being in gear means much higher rolling resistance. There must be something very wrong if 1st gear feels like neutral. Is that not what you were trying to say?
yeah its pretty close to the same as neutral I can definitely push the bike without a problem in 1st. that's what I was afraid of but when I turn the engine on the alternator bolt it definitely builds some type of compression so it shouldn't be that way.

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #13
polecat
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
I have a suggestion that is a more simple one - kickstand sensor? Just a thought. Probably not, but that popped in my head just now.
thats another one I didn't think about but if the bike registers in neutral when on the stand shouldn't it still start. also I have tried with it up or down in gear or not and it will always crank regardless of clutch lever position. So that may be a possibility

Old June 11th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #14
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

It wouldn't crank if the kickstand switch wasn't working or was shorted out. There would be no response on pressing the start button.

Did you look into the air box/filter to see if some creature built a nest in there and totally plugged it up? And also look into the exhaust pipe. There could be a nest or spider webs, things in there if the bike sat so long.

A question for you - with the bad negative history and unknowns with this bike, unless it was for $50, why did you buy this?

And don't forget, if you ever do get it running, it needs a new set of tires bad.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #15
ckholloway
ninjette.org member

Also would need at the very least the hydraulic brake lines inspected better then good. I myself would replace them.

Old June 12th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #16
polecat
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
It wouldn't crank if the kickstand switch wasn't working or was shorted out. There would be no response on pressing the start button.

Did you look into the air box/filter to see if some creature built a nest in there and totally plugged it up? And also look into the exhaust pipe. There could be a nest or spider webs, things in there if the bike sat so long.

A question for you - with the bad negative history and unknowns with this bike, unless it was for $50, why did you buy this?

And don't forget, if you ever do get it running, it needs a new set of tires bad.
thats is exactly why I bought it its for my fiance its her first bike and it only cost me $150. Plus I work on cars all the time and figured a motorcycle would be a good adventure to try next especially with me being laid off and having way too much time on my hands. The way I looked at it when I bought it was worst case scenario I buy a new motor put that in and I still have less in it than what the bike is worth. I pulled the airbox and checked the exhaust both are free and clear only place I found any nests was a mouse nest behind the tail light but I cleared that out and have checked all the wiring can't find any that have been chewed on at all. and yeah the tires are the first once it gets running the back one looks like a slick anyway. Just need to get it running before I start the majorly neglected maintenance.

Old June 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #17
polecat
ninjette.org member

Found a new engine today on ebay. Getting the engine with only 4600 miles on it, CDI Box, fuse box, radiator and fan, starter, coils, and carbs for 295 shipped. There was no way I could pass up that deal so hopefully I will be able to swap it and get a good running bike out of it. I am gonna have some left over parts from what he is sending me so I will have some up for sale soon. Thanks for all your help guys.