ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 12th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #1
Nawarsaleh3
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nawar

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250R

Unhappy New member in need of help! - bike won't start

Hello Everyone!
Glad I have joined such an awesome forum. I recently bought my GF a 2012 kawaski ninja 250R. I purchased the bike from an salvage auction yard. The bike was a reported theft, no damages other than the ignition switch. While waiting for an arrival of an ignition swithc(Ebay), my Gf insisted she wanted a flat black color instead of the original lime green. I plasti dipped the bike flat black, while I had the fearing and tank off, the new ignition switch has arrived. I replaced the ignitions switch and after put all the fearing and tank back together. Prior to replacing the ignition switch, I was still able to start the bike with a pair of plier since the ignition switch was tampered with due to the theft. After replacing the ignition switch with a new aftermarket one(same connecter) and put the tank and fearing back after paint, I was unable to start the bike. I have narrowed it down to no spark to the plugs. I already replaced the rectifier thinking it randomly went out. I still don't have spark but fuel is good and flowing to carbs. I need any help possible, I am sick of putting parts and money without having any results. I would appricate any help, comments, troubleshooting, feed back.
Thanks,
Nawar
Nawarsaleh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #2
Nawarsaleh3
ninjette.org newbie

Unhappy No start, no spark! Please help...

Hello Everyone!
Glad I have joined such an awesome forum. I recently bought my GF a 2012 kawaski ninja 250R. I purchased the bike from an salvage auction yard. The bike was a reported theft, no damages other than the ignition switch. While waiting for an arrival of an ignition swithc(Ebay), my Gf insisted she wanted a flat black color instead of the original lime green. I plasti dipped the bike flat black, while I had the fearing and tank off, the new ignition switch has arrived. I replaced the ignitions switch and after put all the fearing and tank back together. Prior to replacing the ignition switch, I was still able to start the bike with a pair of plier since the ignition switch was tampered with due to the theft. After replacing the ignition switch with a new aftermarket one(same connecter) and put the tank and fearing back after paint, I was unable to start the bike. I have narrowed it down to no spark to the plugs. I already replaced the rectifier thinking it randomly went out. I still don't have spark but fuel is good and flowing to carbs. I need any help possible, I am sick of putting parts and money without having any results. I would appricate any help, comments, troubleshooting, feed back.
Thanks,
Nawar

Old July 12th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawarsaleh3 View Post
..........I need any help possible, I am sick of putting parts and money without having any results. I would appricate any help, comments, troubleshooting, feed back.
Welcome to Ninjette.org, Nawar !!!

It seems that the bike dislikes the new color

The problem is always in the things that we have messed with.

First, check that there is continuity between the engine and the battery (ground).
If not, check that the negative is grounded via naked metal.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Nawarsaleh3
ninjette.org newbie

Checked that already, good ground, good battery, but still no spark. I'm thinking it has something to do with the new ignition switch but I am getting power to the coils so I'm guessing that eliminates the ignition problem being a fault?

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #6
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

What all did you disconnect when you removed the fairings and tank? I know that removing these are straight forward, but assuming your new ignition is good based on your diagnosis, possibly in the removal of the body work, something else is the issue.

You're sure you have gas flowing? Reinstalling the tank sometimes, I forgot a hose, or I forget that I turned the petcock to a different position for whatever reason. Make sure that you have vacuum at the petcock, opening the diaphragm to allow gas to flow. Sometimes when having the tank removed, the petcock can be damaged depending on how you store it,

Did you disconnect any other plugs? obviously the turn signals, but that wouldn't be the issue, unless these are shorted out and caused something whacky to go wrong.

Retrace your work on the ignition install, making sure everything is plugged in.

When you say won't start, can you be more descriptive:
-crank, no fire?
-no crank

Check fuses, battery, the basics. If I can find the wiring diagram, I'll edit this post with it to try and help.

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #7
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Wiring diagram for 2008-2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c981aa1e0e222da84a7e70c785911f3e.jpg (118.6 KB, 9 views)

Old July 13th, 2014, 05:51 AM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Hello Everyone!
Thanks,
Nawar
I'd say there is a problem with the new switch.

Try going back (replacing the old switch) and doing what you did before to see if it will start again.

That should tell you.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #9
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

Check the connectors to make sure no pins backed out when you connected them.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2014, 08:20 AM   #10
Nawarsaleh3
ninjette.org newbie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I'd say there is a problem with the new switch.

Try going back (replacing the old switch) and doing what you did before to see if it will start again.

That should tell you.
The problem is when I replaced the old switch I cut the wires off to get it off easier( I know stupid thinking at the time), no I don't have the old switch to switch out more. Know I thought since I am receiving 12v at both coils then there shouldn't be an issue with the ignition switch?

Old July 13th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #11
Nawarsaleh3
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
What all did you disconnect when you removed the fairings and tank? I know that removing these are straight forward, but assuming your new ignition is good based on your diagnosis, possibly in the removal of the body work, something else is the issue.

You're sure you have gas flowing? Reinstalling the tank sometimes, I forgot a hose, or I forget that I turned the petcock to a different position for whatever reason. Make sure that you have vacuum at the petcock, opening the diaphragm to allow gas to flow. Sometimes when having the tank removed, the petcock can be damaged depending on how you store it,

Did you disconnect any other plugs? obviously the turn signals, but that wouldn't be the issue, unless these are shorted out and caused something whacky to go wrong.

Retrace your work on the ignition install, making sure everything is plugged in.

When you say won't start, can you be more descriptive:
-crank, no fire?
-no crank

Check fuses, battery, the basics. If I can find the wiring diagram, I'll edit this post with it to try and help.
Sorry when I say no start, I mean the bike cranks, good compression, fully charged battery, can smell fuel and checked it's going to the carb but no spark at the wires

Old July 13th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #12
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Quote:
Sorry when I say no start, I mean the bike cranks, good compression, fully charged battery, can smell fuel and checked it's going to the carb but no spark at the wires
Based on that, it sounds like there is definitely something going on with the new ignition and how it interacts with the system. Take a look at the wiring diagram I posted above. Make sure that you're getting voltage where you're supposed to be getting it, when you're supposed to be getting it. Just because you're getting 12V at the ignition coming in, doesn't mean that it isn't putting out 12V to the right place.

No spark at the wires, how have you verified this? Inline spark detector?

When you say you cut wires, which wires specifically? Did you eliminate a a harness?

Last futzed with by DmbShn41; July 13th, 2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: speling
DmbShn41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2014, 08:55 AM   #13
Nawarsaleh3
ninjette.org newbie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
Based on that, it sounds like there is definitely something going on with the new ignition and how it interacts with the system. Take a look at the wiring diagram I posted above. Make sure that you're getting voltage where you're supposed to be getting it, when you're supposed to be getting it. Just because you're getting 12V at the ignition coming in, doesn't mean that it isn't putting out 12V to the right place.

No spark at the wires, how have you verified this? Inline spark detector?

When you say you cut wires, which wires specifically? Did you eliminate a a harness?
Thanks for the wiring diagram!!
I used an inline spark tester to verify that I have no spark, and the harness I cut belonged to the old ignition switch since I was replacing it and didn't need it no more, I went and cut the wires to remove it easier ( regret doing this now )