ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 7th, 2021, 09:39 PM   #1
Leonardo Lupo
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Free spring!

Did a carb clean and rebuild, then found a spring on the floor next to my bike. Runs fine, potential weight savings????

Anyone know where this is from?? I opened the fuel tank valve and the carb and the airbox; and removed the carb from the body so messed with everything I had to to get it out.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-0119.jpg (48.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-0120.jpg (41.0 KB, 3 views)

Old November 8th, 2021, 08:12 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Lupo View Post
Hey,

I have a very similar problem. Just did a carb rebuild and didn't fix it. Mine isn't to bad and bike runs fine in higher rpm.

Mine also got worse! I think it turned out that my fuel tank diaphragm dried out and stuck together, as pulled it apart, unstuck it and it works. Problem is that that tank valve never really worked. Could I grab an expert opinion on this:

on my bike:

When the screw is horizontal (pointing to "ON") and there are no hoses, fuel exits the large port on the valve.

When the screw is pointed down (pointing to "PRI") and there are no hoses, fuel exits the valve. Can't remember which port(s).

I leave my bike on "ON" as this seems logical due to its name. I read above that this valve could cause problems, is that the case?

Cheers
The spring is for your petcock diaphragm. It keeps petcock closed until vacuum is applied to small port to open it.

In ON position, fuel should not flow until you apply vacuum to small port. Put spring back in petcock. Otherwise you risk dripping petrol into engine and hydrolocking it.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 8th, 2021, 08:19 AM   #3
Leonardo Lupo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
The spring is for your petcock diaphragm. It keeps petcock closed until vacuum is applied to small port to open it.

In ON position, fuel should not flow until you apply vacuum to small port. Put spring back in petcock. Otherwise you risk dripping petrol into engine and hydrolocking it.
Thank you so much. Should I ride and idle in ON position?

Old November 8th, 2021, 08:24 AM   #4
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by shspvr View Post
Just case any of you didn't know this but the pointing to "PRI" is actually also the fuel reserve it the short tube so you see it serves two purposes
On 2008-12 new-gen models, petcock is much simplified over earlier versions with no reserve setting.

1. no-reserve, there's only one drain port and it's at very bottom of tank. Entire tank can be used from very beginning. Notice 2nd port for previous design is blocked off with brass plug

2. ON works as normal vacuum-activated setting. No fuel flows until vacuum is applied on small diaphragm port

3. PRI flows without needing vacuum. This is convenient for draining tank.

4. No selector lever since you don't need to switch between ON and non-existent reserve. Just slot for screwdriver in those rare cases when you need to switch to PRI to drain tank

Old November 8th, 2021, 08:27 AM   #5
Leonardo Lupo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
On 2008-12 new-gen models, petcock is much simplified over earlier versions with no reserve setting.

1. no-reserve, there's only one drain port and it's at very bottom of tank. Entire tank can be used from very beginning. Notice 2nd port for previous design is blocked off with brass plug

2. ON works as normal vacuum-activated setting. No fuel flows until vacuum is applied on small diaphragm port

3. PRI flows without needing vacuum. This is convenient for draining tank.

4. No selector lever since you don't need to switch between ON and non-existent reserve. Just slot for screwdriver in those rare cases when you need to switch to PRI to drain tank

Perfect thank you so much!

Old November 8th, 2021, 08:47 AM   #6
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Lupo View Post
Did a carb clean and rebuild, then found a spring on the floor next to my bike. Runs fine, potential weight savings????

Anyone know where this is from??
When I go to bike meets, I grab handful of random nuts & bolts from jar. Then randomly sprinkle them under people's bikes! Keeps them entertained for hours!!!

Old November 8th, 2021, 10:24 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
PRI is also very convenient if the bike has been sitting for a couple weeks and the fuel level in the bowls has dropped. Going to PRI for a few seconds fills the carbs and greatly reduces the cranking time to start the engine.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2021, 11:18 AM   #8
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
PRI is also very convenient if the bike has been sitting for a couple weeks and the fuel level in the bowls has dropped. Going to PRI for a few seconds fills the carbs and greatly reduces the cranking time to start the engine.
Yeah! Or when 1st installing carbs after getting it back from ducatiman for restoration!