ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old August 5th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #1
BOH
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250r

from neutral to first and start moving possible WITHOUT clutch?

hey fellow riders.
Recently one of my friends bike clutch cable broke so he had his bike towed. After that since i usually ride in remote roads and all alone i just wondered if it is possible to ride back home (or to the nearest repair center) without using clutch. I know you can ride without out clutch but how about most important part- taking off from a dead stop? I tried to get my bike moving with out clutch by going from neutral to first without clutch but just ended up stalling it. So if its possible how are you supposed to do that? Rev up engine a little bit and then go into first? And how damaging it is for the gears and the clutch?
BOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #2
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, Fazer8

1) hold front brake very hard
2) rev it very hard
3) put it into first very hard

now you do a burn out

4) release front brake slowly

now you ride, try to avoid city traffic with this

5) replace clutch, clutch cable, rear tire and post video online

Old August 5th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #3
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

From stop, start engine in gear, hard on starter but starter cheaper to replace than transmission. Better yet, buy spare cable and install in parallel with existing one, that way if cable breaks you can fix it right then. No fuss, no muss...
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #4
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
From stop, start engine in gear, hard on starter but starter cheaper to replace than transmission. Better yet, buy spare cable and install in parallel with existing one, that way if cable breaks you can fix it right then. No fuss, no muss...
thats a good idea,
probably just use some velcro cable ties to hold them together.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #5
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

The OP's question about rolling the bike and slipping it into first gear without the clutch would work. From there a good rider can pretty easily shift gears without the clutch. For me personally , I use my clutch only while moving from a dead stop and while downshifting. Upshifting without the clutch is easy, downshifting without the clutch is more sensitive to correct rpm and timing but doable.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Crab walking the bike some will allow you to engage first gear, or you can push-run-jump on the bike while in Neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
..........downshifting without the clutch is more sensitive to correct rpm and timing but doable.
How exactly do you do clutch-less downshift?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #7
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Couldn't you just roll your bike to the top of the nearest slope, sit on it, start rolling down the hill, start the bike (while in neutral) and then slip it into first while rolling?

The burn out idea sounds fun but sketchy!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
When coming to a stop just let the bike stall then shift to neutral. Start the bike and push forward with your legs to get a bit of speed, rev up just a little bit and drop it into first and prepare for the jolt. Then clutch less up shift when you need to but stay in the lowest gear possible since clutch less downshifting would be difficult if you needed to do it. So for example if you're going 50mph stay in 3rd

You can also practice this by just not using your clutch
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #9
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Crab walking the bike some will allow you to engage first gear, or you can push-run-jump on the bike while in Neutral.

How exactly do you do clutch-less downshift?
you have to blip and hold the throttle, and press the lever.
its not smooth but works well.

Old August 5th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
When coming to a stop just let the bike stall then shift to neutral. Start the bike and push forward with your legs to get a bit of speed, rev up just a little bit and drop it into first and prepare for the jolt. Then clutch less up shift when you need to but stay in the lowest gear possible since clutch less downshifting would be difficult if you needed to do it. So for example if you're going 50mph stay in 3rd

You can also practice this by just not using your clutch
when stopping, put it in neutral then turn it off once you stop and then put it in first, then use the starter with it in first to get going again and clutchless shift the rest of the time.

Old August 5th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
you have to blip and hold the throttle, and press the lever.
its not smooth but works well.
Thanks.

How can you blip the throttle if the engine and rear wheel are solidly connected?

As I understand it, blip means rev the engine up while disengaged form the transmission and rear wheel.

Just asking, as I have never done it.

Old August 5th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #12
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Thanks.

How can you blip the throttle if the engine and rear wheel are solidly connected?

As I understand it, blip means rev the engine up while disengaged form the transmission and rear wheel.

Just asking, as I have never done it.
i thought blip just meant to open the throttle quickly.
during a normal downshift you would match revs with the blip, so the bike wont become unsettled.

you're doing the same thing in this case, except with no clutch you have to be quicker and know how much to open the throttle.

i'm far from an expert on doing this but it seems to work well in the lower rpm ranges 4000-6000. lightly use the brakes until you reach this range of rpms. press on the shift lever, and open the throttle quickly. it should pop unto a lower gear.

using the lower rpm range you almost always over throttle, and match revs cleanly. if you don't use enough throttle or don't hold the rpms, the bike will become very choppy.

Old August 5th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Thanks!

It sounds very interesting and I don't really understand how the transmission works while that happens.

I will try it as you have explained it.

Old August 5th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
when stopping, put it in neutral then turn it off once you stop and then put it in first, then use the starter with it in first to get going again and clutchless shift the rest of the time.
I think avoiding clutchless down shifting would be easier right? Just let it stall in gear and then switch to neutral. You think starting in first would be easier? Maybe I'll go try it today
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #15
soundsfasterthanitis
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Won't the clutch sensor not let the bike crank in gear? Is the clutch sensor going off of the clutch or the clutch lever?
soundsfasterthanitis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Pull the broken clutch to activate the sensor.
Stalling the bike is bad for it.

Old August 5th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #17
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsfasterthanitis View Post
Won't the clutch sensor not let the bike crank in gear? Is the clutch sensor going off of the clutch or the clutch lever?
That is a very good point: Does anything need to be done to the lever in order to keep it in place while starting with a broken clutch cable?

Last futzed with by Motofool; August 5th, 2012 at 06:30 PM.

Old August 5th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #18
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

When my friend's dirt bike we used to beat on lost its clutch cable (which we STILL haven't replaced some years later) we got it moving by pushing it, jamming it in gear and go! I think everyone should ride my friend's bike. It will teach you how to get by without such important items. Like suspension, or a clutch cable, or brakes. Literally, it has no brakes. Only way to slow down is engine braking. Good thing it's only a KLX 125 and not some power house that you would actually need the brakes on.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote