ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 1st, 2018, 02:42 PM   #1
Cep
ninjette.org member

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Front brake hard braking question

I had to make an "emergency" stop today as a light decided to turn yellow on me and stopping seemed like the best decision. I braked hard, more and more weight going to the front, then something happened, it sounded like the brake pads skipping , not the tire locking. Wasnt a great sound and i eased off and rolled through the intersection as there was no traffic.

Would something like this happen if the pads / rotors were "glazed"?

I am debating whether to bring to a local shop to inspect the brakes. Im just a bit worried how much they will want tp charge though. I know i should do it myself but not sure if i have the skills to tackle the brakes or not.

2012 bike has 4500 miles. I bought it last year with 2500 miles on it.

Thanks!!
Cep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2018, 03:32 PM   #2
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Did the bars wiggle at all?
Did you get ABS back then in Canada?
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 1st, 2018, 03:42 PM   #3
Cep
ninjette.org member

No abs but thats sorta what it felt like.
No wiggle either

I have been noticing the last month a sort of vibration rubbing feeling/sound under heavy braking. This was the hardest i have ever braked. I think.

Old July 1st, 2018, 04:17 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I would inspect everything carefully for signs that the pads are worn out or damaged, look carefully at the disk and its mounting bolts, and anything else you can inspect. It's possible that new pads would fix it, but it's impossible to tell long-distance like this.

Nothing to do with your current problem, but when you get it straightened out, you need to go do some practicing of hard stops somewhere where there is no traffic. You don't want to learn how the motorcycle behaves while you're trying to stay alive, you need to already know.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2018, 04:19 PM   #5
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cep View Post
No abs but thats sorta what it felt like.
No wiggle either

I have been noticing the last month a sort of vibration rubbing feeling/sound under heavy braking. This was the hardest i have ever braked. I think.
Make sue the pins your caliper "floats" on aren't corroded and are lubricated. I just installed new pads on my 2005 Pontiac Montana at 78,000 miles. When the auto was assembled the lower caliper pins were never lubricated and both the inboard pads were like new, the outer pads were the only pads making contact with the disc. The lower pins were actually rust pitted. I can't believe the brakes worked at all. With just the outer pads doing all the work I'm surprised the wheel bearings didn't fail.

If your pads and disc were "glazed" they most likely would just squeal when braking.

Bill

Old July 1st, 2018, 04:23 PM   #6
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Our rotor can also develop a dish or plate shape to it. You can try to watch it run thru the pad and see if it’s at a slight angle. You may have to pull the rotor off the wheel and put it on a flat surface to see if it’s dished.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2018, 07:22 PM   #7
Cep
ninjette.org member

Thx for the replies
This is my first bike and i get obsessed over things big and small... but anyways, i just went out and did some practice, emerg braking from about 80km, things seemed pretty decent. I locked up the front very briefly a couple times and you sure can hear it when that happens. Maybe that is what happened earlier not sure.
Either way will monitor it some more.

Old July 1st, 2018, 08:04 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

It could be that what you felt was lockup. I'm glad you did some practicing. I've been riding since the '70s, and I still practice fast stops once in a while, especially if I get a new motorcycle.

Old July 2nd, 2018, 06:32 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Check your steering stem.

Grab the front brake and hold it firmly while you push and pull on the bars aggressively. Listen for a clicking or clunking from the steering stem area.

The collar below the top triple can become loose, and allow for too much give between the stem and the frame.

One of our Ninjas had some issues of that type, and we replaced the bearings with tapered roller bearings, which cured the problem.

More info - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Steeri...ng_replacement
jkv45 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2018, 08:33 AM   #10
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I would give everything on the front end of the bike a very thorough looksee. So, check out the head bearings, handlebars, master cylinder, forks, triples, caliper, brake hose, rotor, etc. All of it. Make sure nothing is worn, leaking, loose, oxidized, etc etc.

Once all of that is satisfactory to you (remember you're the one that has to ride this thing, so you're the important one), I'd take it to a big empty parking lot and *cautiously* do some braking drills to attempt to recreate the condition or otherwise revalidate the braking system to yourself. Start easy and gradually work your way into harder braking and recreate the conditions (speed and aggressiveness of braking) that gave you that feeling in the first place.

Be careful. Be diligent. Start small and work big. If you're able to recreate the condition, it can be diagnosed and fixed. If you're not able to recreate the condition, you will have proven the braking system to yourself, inspected the whole thing for roadworthiness, and given yourself some good practice time on braking skills. Win win situation.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 10:00 AM   #11
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Also check wheel-bearings.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:06 PM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
I braked hard, more and more weight going to the front, then something happened, it sounded like the brake pads skipping , not the tire locking.
RARELY do you hear front wheel lockup. And what you describe... I hear from riders about 1000 times per year. My gut tells me, you had what vet riders call CHATTER. At the race level, its actually a good thing, it lets you know you are at the razors edge. In due time, its something you will learn to love to hate. Cause when you bike is super smooth, you chase it to go faster. When your bike gives you feedback like chatter, you wander wtf is going on.

As far as hard bits go, there are some great posts here for things to check and even some mentions of "the problem is the rider." Never take that as an insult, 90%+ of the time riders cause their own issues. Take it with a smile and a willingness to learn. As did some of the posters in this very there that I trained to break super hard to the very edge. And one... past it that now has some rubber on his leathers.

I have a question though..........

You had an "emergency braking" situation, but then rolled through an intersection with no cars? What happened?!?!?!? Animal? UFO's? Bigfoot? Sorry, I am missing something.

ps.... After you get the basics of braking down. AND I do mean REALLY DOWN then try reading this thread. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196883

Best of luck to you sir and never be afraid to question things.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:24 PM   #13
Cep
ninjette.org member

Thx again all!

I rolled through the intersection because the sound totally freaked me out and i decided to stop braking so hard at that point. But again i knew it was safe to do so.

I have been practicing a lot of braking the past 24 hrs.

Im still considering taking it in and asking them to check the front end thoroughly. I really dont know what im looking at there. But my hard braking routines seemed to go well.

Would it be a mistake to bring it to a shop?

And no im never insulted... i am a noob! But wanting to learn. I picked up the bike late aug 2017 and 1 hour later i low sided slammed hard down on my shoulder and broke left collarbone. Clean break. So basically i started riding in april 2018. Im pretty confident on the little ninja now but im itching to do a track day. Also im taking the total control advanced rider level 1 this month should be fun.

Then the question becomes do i get a new bike next year and sell the 250. Honestly id like to keep it. Sigh who knows.... so many decisions. And so little money hahaha.

Anyways thx for all the suggestions. Much appreciated!

Old July 2nd, 2018, 05:52 PM   #14
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
I have been practicing a lot of braking the past 24 hrs.
Excellent! Many seasoned riders never do that, but it's a very important thing to do.

Quote:
Then the question becomes do i get a new bike next year and sell the 250. Honestly id like to keep it.
I've been riding for about 40 years, and bought my 250 about three years ago. I have bigger, faster bikes, but have no plans to sell the 250. The first day I rode it, I said that if I could never have another motorcycle for the rest of my life, I'd be perfectly happy with just the 250.

You'll love it on the track, too.

Old July 2nd, 2018, 06:08 PM   #15
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Excellent! Many seasoned riders never do that, but it's a very important thing to do.

I've been riding for about 40 years, and bought my 250 about three years ago. I have bigger, faster bikes, but have no plans to sell the 250. The first day I rode it, I said that if I could never have another motorcycle for the rest of my life, I'd be perfectly happy with just the 250.

You'll love it on the track, too.
I feel the same way about my 07'. My ninth and last bike - no need for anything better. Sorry Kawasaki but you rang my bell for the last time but thank you also for my H1.

Bill

Old July 2nd, 2018, 06:23 PM   #16
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Well, I can't say my 250 is my last one, but I don't plan to part with it.

(your 250 is seven feet long?)

Old July 2nd, 2018, 07:29 PM   #17
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Well, I can't say my 250 is my last one, but I don't plan to part with it.

(your 250 is seven feet long?)
It sometimes feels like it when I try to do a U turn on a two lane country road. It must be my age.

Bill