ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 12th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #1
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Cannot start in gear.

Just as title suggests. It's been a longstanding issue that I have been too lazy to work on but it occurred to me that if I ever had to bumpstart it, I wouldnt be able to since it doesnt start in gear normally.

What are the likely suspects?

-clutch switch
-kickstand switch (works because it starts in neutral and dies when put into gear)
-??? anything else?

Could it be that the clutch switch tab doesnt have enough space to activate?

EDIT: Nevermind. It was exactly that. I usually use the clutch with 2 fingers and so the lever was never pulled in enough. I looked at the tab and I really needed to squeeze the clutch all the way for it to activate. Good to know if anybody is wondering.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Actually, that is good to know, thank you! When I first started riding and I'd stall at a light or a stop sign sometimes I'd be able to just start it right back up while in first and sometimes I'd have to switch it into neutral to start it again and never really understood why. I'll have to see if this solves the problem.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

I have the same problem I have bar end mirrors, and sometimes they vibrate down to where the clutch wont touch the handlebar all the way so it wont start. Gotta watch for it
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #4
setasai

I'm actually thinking about filing down that switch a little bit.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I got around to taking off my clutch switch finally since I have not been able to start in gear for the past few months now.

Let me tell you, they use loc-tite on those soft screws that hold the clutch switch in. Make sure you have the right phillips screwdriver or else you'll booger up the head of the screw.

You may end up snapping off the choke plastic cable holder that holds it into the combo switch when you attempt to get to switch. I did.

One of the contacts was grounded down so it wasn't making contact. I also replaced the switch on the ZZR600 and the switches are identical.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/zzr...ch-switch.html

Old February 27th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #6
setasai

Thanks for the link, I just ignored this issue forever. Maybe I'll get around to fixing it this weekend.

Old March 4th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I need to fix mine too. It started acting up around August last year.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote