ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old November 13th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #1
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

What is the purpose of seat pitch?

What is the purpose of the stock seat's pitch forward? It's a problem for many of us who feel like we keep sliding into the tank but it works for others. Is there a reason why it is slanted so far forward? Does it make certain maneuvers easier?
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
It makes it harderto slide back under acceleration

Old November 13th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #3
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

it's not a girls bike for nothing...

please put your flamethrowers down, I might have been kidding.

Old November 13th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
What is the purpose of the stock seat's pitch forward? It's a problem for many of us who feel like we keep sliding into the tank but it works for others. Is there a reason why it is slanted so far forward? Does it make certain maneuvers easier?
Just a couple of my observations
1. Positions the rider more towards the center of the bike for better control
2. Lowers the seat height and moves the controls back (closer) for the vertically challenged and beginners. (Taller riders can sit back 3 or more inches and be comfortable.)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #5
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
That makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
2. Lowers the seat height and moves the controls back (closer) for the vertically challenged and beginners. (Taller riders can sit back 3 or more inches and be comfortable.)
Oh ok I see. That makes sense.

Thanks for the responses, helps a lot. I am currently reshaping my seat and because I am a taller rider, I tend to like to sit further back on the seat but because of the pitch, the backside of my sitting bones are supporting my weight instead of the bottom. Good to know there's nothing wrong with flattening the pitch a bit.

Old November 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

I find the constant sliding towards the tank a little bit of a nuisance myself. The weird thing is that I'm only about 5'7" and I prefer sitting way back on the seat. Right to the edge where I'm almost touching the passenger seat. I have no problem reaching the controls. The bike certainly feels "smaller" than when I first got her. I can't even imagine how someone close to 6 foot can ride this bike for a prolonged period of time.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #7
setasai

It's a challenge but I make it work. Most of it just has to do with shifting your weight around often but last time I took a 430mile trip it was painful every 50miles because of the way the seat is shaped. It ALWAYS puts pressure on the bones and at the same time there's friction on the backside of my buttcheeks from gravity causing me to slide downwards.

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #8
CoinSlot
ninjette.org member

Name: Gordo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Just do this:

2011-09-25 15.51.42.jpg

Easy!
CoinSlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #9
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I'm about 5' 11'' and 180lbs, and I change from the front to the rear and back depending on the situation ahead. If I'm cruising, I usually sit toward the rear, if I'm going hard in the corners or really beating feet I sit up front so I can cradle the tank better.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
... I am currently reshaping my seat and because I am a taller rider, I tend to like to sit further back on the seat but because of the pitch, the backside of my sitting bones are supporting my weight instead of the bottom. Good to know there's nothing wrong with flattening the pitch a bit.
I had my seat reshaped and covered. The seat is a little more flat so I don't slide down into the tank as much. Works well on longer rides.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attac...1&d=1289448688

Old November 14th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
... I can't even imagine how someone close to 6 foot can ride this bike for a prolonged period of time.
I'am 5' 11" and ride mainly long periods of time. I find it a plus that I can either lay on the tank, sit up straight or varying positions. The ability to adjust myself in the seat without a lot of weight on my arms, shoulders and lower back is great, not to mention my knees not being constantly bent at a painful angle, like it would be on a larger sportbike.

Old November 14th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #12
setasai

Quote:
I had my seat reshaped and covered. The seat is a little more flat so I don't slide down into the tank as much. Works well on longer rides.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attac...1&d=1289448688
Cool! Yea this is exactly what I am going for. Mine doesnt look like yours or anything close to stock anymore because I added more support on the sides to widen the rear portion of the seat pan. Like you say, I sit on the rear on long stretches and towards the tank for maneuverability. Lets see how it turns out.

Quote:
I'am 5' 11" and ride mainly long periods of time. I find it a plus that I can either lay on the tank, sit up straight or varying positions. The ability to adjust myself in the seat without a lot of weight on my arms, shoulders and lower back is great, not to mention my knees not being constantly bent at a painful angle, like it would be on a larger sportbike.
Varying seat position is great! I would do that regardless of how my seat turns out. I also vary my feet on the pegs to alleviate some of the strain. Sometimes I even let them hang and skim the ground... on straight roads of course.

Old November 14th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #13
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoinSlot View Post
Just do this:

Attachment 15948

Easy!
That's the general idea. But I also want to add some height to it.

In anycase, this post was purely to ask about seat pitch. I have another thread for my seat shaping as a potential DIY in the future when I complete it.

Old November 14th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #14
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Quote:
Yes, varying positions is great. It helps that you've reshaped your seat to a flatter profile. I might have to try that. With the stock seat, I find that even when I've shifted my seating position, I tend to slide right back against the tank.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 03:54 AM   #15
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Not an issue on our ninjettes. Get it on a liter bike, but really not needed for us. The little lip on the passenger seat or stopper from the cowl is plenty to stop us.

Quote:
I disagree with number one on our ninjettes. Moving as far back on the seat as possible during cornering offers a noticeable advantage to control of the bike by adjusting weight closer to the back wheel. Reason 2 is it. And it is annoying for riders that don't need that extra inch or two. And moving back to the back of the seat doesn't completely solve it because you are constantly creeping forward into ballcracker territory.

Bad design to try to sneak an inch closer to the ground and make a seat more appealing to a wider range of riders, while compromising rideability for a normal sized male is the real answer. A bad design that Corbin has solved. I sat on a ninjette with a Corbin and it was heaven. My testies hadn't been so happy since . . . well that is a story for a different time.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Yeah sliding back is not so bad with only 30 hp

Old November 15th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #17
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

The seat is rotated forward from the position of a standard bike's seat because the hand controls of a sport bike are lower and forward and the foot pegs are back and higher. If the seat remained in the old standard position, you'd have to bend further at the hip to get onto the hand controls.