ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 15th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #1
dk58
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250R

Upgrade the 250 or get new bike

So recently I've been a little bored with the 250. I'm still happy with it, but I have been contemplating putting it up for sale and perhaps buying something else. I'm entirely sure what I would buy as an alternative, so I started thinking maybe I should just spend some money and fix the things I don't like about the 250 and make it interesting again.
As of now I'm thinking new tires (something I need that would also help), clip ons, new brake lines, and new fork springs. I think realistically I would be happy with just clip ons and the new tires, eventually doing the fork springs.
I'm posting this here in hopes that I'll be convinced that I don't need a different bike, so share your thoughts and any advice for mods.
dk58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

If you're not completely happy with your ninjette right now, then I doubt any mod you do will make it somehow less boring.

If you want to get a new bike then get a new bike.

Don't put in thousands of dollars into the ninja only to later realize you are still bored with the bike.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #3
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
If you're not completely happy with your ninjette right now, then I doubt any mod you do will make it somehow less boring.

If you want to get a new bike then get a new bike.

Don't put in thousands of dollars into the ninja only to later realize you are still bored with the bike.
I agree with Jono, I don't think any amount of mods will make the 250R more interesting to you in comparison to getting a new bike.

I'd suggest that you sign up for a track day so you can see its full potential, there's still plenty of fun in the 250R when you're not on the street.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
I agree with Jono, I don't think any amount of mods will make the 250R more interesting to you in comparison to getting a new bike.

I'd suggest that you sign up for a track day so you can see its full potential, there's still plenty of fun in the 250R when you're not on the street.
agreed, I tried spending a lot of money on the 250 (over $2000) and it just wasnt enough. There is no way is compares to the 636

Old March 15th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

If my paychecks are good this summer, I'm thinking of modding my 250, putting some sports tires on it, and buying used Alpinestars leathers I've been eyeing on for a while. I'm going to take it to the track and really learn how to ride. I'd say get a new bike if you can't foresee squeezing anything more out of the bike.

If you just need more oomph from the bike, then you should get a bigger bike
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Try the tyres first, a bike with new tyres will sell quicker than one with worn ones if you decide to trade up anyway. Good tyres make a real difference to the bike's handling. I've BT045s front & rear, which give good mileage and good grip, and were a major improvment over the old tyres (Avon Roadrider) which were great for milage, I put 15000 on them and changed them with plenty left, they were just not grippy enough to do the fast corners on the route I was commuting on, but were way better than the cheng shing rings of sh!te that were on it when I got it
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

There is nor more to squeeze out of these bikes, im just saying, its not possible. If you arnt satisfied with the speed of the 250 then modding this **** out of it isnt going to make you any happier

Go to track and learn the real potential of the bike, if you dont plan on doing so upgrade

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #8
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If you're going to keep it, do whatever. If you plan on selling it within a couple years, don't do anything except learn how to do maintenance on it and learn how to ride.

The reason I've changed things on my bike, is because I plan to keep it till it dies, I love it for what it is (I've ridden a 600 a lot and know there's no way to make my 250 do that) and I want to improve a few things (brakes, suspension, jetting, tires, etc).

however, if you already need tires, take the chance to get some better ones, and enjoy how the bike feels with them
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #9
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

There's a lot of demo days for bikes. Maybe try taking a bigger one for a spin and see how you like it.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #10
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

+1 for new bike
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #11
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

*cough* video time *cough*

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #12
dk58
ninjette.org member

I'm not necessarily bored with the bike, I just think some change would help me enjoy it more. I have absolutely no need for something faster, and having ridden larger bikes, I know I'd be hard pressed to find something that is as nimble. I would obviously be saving money by keeping the 250 and doing the mods I listed, as I would have to put atleast $1500 on top on the money I could get from selling, not to mention the insurance hike on a bigger bike.

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
We have seen ninjas on the street/track, and ninjas in the mud on this forum. What do want out of yours? What part is boring?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
and ninjas in the mud on this forum.
hahaha Skippii

Old March 15th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #15
dk58
ninjette.org member

I'd like to improve the front suspension. I'm considering going the cheap route at first and perhaps putting a spacer in there and using some heavier fork oil. Really, the front suspension is the only thing I know I can't live with. My plan has always been to keep this bike for as long as possible and tracking it eventually.

Old March 15th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #16
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk58 View Post
So recently I've been a little bored with the 250...:
Your words man, not ours. I'd agree with the others in, if you're bored with it, just get a new one. It would be a lot better than wasting money on mods that'll only keep you happy for another month or two before you get bored of it again for some reason. If you don't need more power, what's so boring about it?

Also, depending on where you live, unless you're looking to buy a BRAND NEW 600, you can find a used 600, a couple years old, for $4k-$4.5k on craigslist if you keep your eyes open.

Old March 15th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #17
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Kevin, in California, if the police were to see your Youtube video... If they have documented proof of you street racing (as shown in the video), can't they take your ride and crush it? They can also clearly see your speedometer, which at one point read 106 mph.

Just wondering if they are sticklers for Youtube "confessions."
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #18
dk58
ninjette.org member

Maybe bored was the wrong word to use. I still love the bike and enjoy riding it as much as possible.

Old March 15th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Kevin, in California, if the police were to see your Youtube video... If they have documented proof of you street racing (as shown in the video), can't they take your ride and crush it? They can also clearly see your speedometer, which at one point read 106 mph.

That is a very good point. I'm still debating on posting my 0-60 tests or not...

I made them on a 45 mph road which isn't bad, but I for sure won't post the 0-60 test where I might have gone up to 75. Or I'll just cut the video off at 63 indicated (60 actual) idk.

Old March 15th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #20
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:

hmmm, not 100% sure honestly. I know there was one dude in a different country (cant remember where) That was doing like 170 on film and the cops saw the video and hunted him down. I dont think there is any way to prove it because I dont show my plate, its possible thats not even me on that random green bike, I just found the video and uploaded it

Old March 15th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #21
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

It's just such a nice bike, I'd hate to see the "state" crush it. I mean, whoever's bike it is. Wherever it was. lalalalala :-)
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #22
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
It's just such a nice bike, I'd hate to see the "state" crush it. I mean, whoever's bike it is. Wherever it was. lalalalala :-)
Do they crush them anymore? I know they take them but for them to crush it you have to be doing some insane ****, nothing that I have the skills to do lol

I doubt they have a OCYD Orange County Youtube Department lol

Old March 15th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #23
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Quote:
Maybe bored was the wrong word to use. I still love the bike and enjoy riding it as much as possible.
Then what's wrong with it?

And to the youtube thing, I would think you'd have to either show your face or have some way to link it to you. Just showing a bike accelerating with no views of the rider's face wouldn't be much to go on.

Old March 15th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #24
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
hmmm, not 100% sure honestly. I know there was one dude in a different country (cant remember where) That was doing like 170 on film and the cops saw the video and hunted him down. I dont think there is any way to prove it because I dont show my plate, its possible thats not even me on that random green bike, I just found the video and uploaded it
Just don't go to Japan!?!?! I don't know what the laws are for this in the U.S. either.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...195346223.html
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #25
dk58
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Then what's wrong with it?
Like I said, the soft front suspension is high on my list of things I'd like to fix. Maybe my so-called boredom is an extreme case of the mod bug.

Old March 15th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #26
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

I know the owner/rider in that video and would be glad to point the authorities in the proper direction...or not... for a fee.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #27
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Like I said, the soft front suspension is high on my list of things I'd like to fix. Maybe my so-called boredom is an extreme case of the mod bug.
i hear people complain about the front suspension being soft. i personally think 9 times out of 10 the problem is the rider not being smooth enough. are you bottoming out your forks? are you sliding your front wheel when you are hard on the brakes? have you put a zip tie on the stanchions to see how far they are actually compressing? or do you simply not like the look of standard forks. it's easy to get jealous of fancy things when theres all this marketing telling you you need to buy a brand new R6. honestly though, MOST riders will not be able to take advantage of 3-way adjustable shocks, let alone super fancy 5 way adjustable shocks.

Old March 15th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #28
dk58
ninjette.org member

The only time I ever bottomed them out was when I weighed about 80 pounds more than I do now. The front would dive alot when i started riding due to too much front brake too fast, but that hasn't happened for a while as well. Sometimes they feel a little a little floaty and I would prefer if they were stiffer. Honestly, my CB500's forks feel tons better and they are notorious for being too soft.

Old March 15th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #29
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Just make sure you know which is which....it would really suck for you to drop money into the 250 only to find yourself still 'bored' with it and want something new. You won't necessarily get back money for mods in a sale and I myself wouldn't pay extra for a bike just for mods.

Old March 15th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #30
dk58
ninjette.org member

Yeah I realize that I wouldn't get money out of anything I put in. I keep all the stock parts I take off so I can put it back to stock if need be. I might try the cheapo fork preload adjuster and the tires were a necessity, so I won't be into it for much.

Old March 15th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #31
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
spongey forks means you want thicker oil. if its an older bike your existing fluid might not be as thick as it used to be. sometimes it can even suck some water in there like brake fluid does. if its not bottoming out, dont add preload. adding preload will simply make your forks less effective. (less travel to work with, wont sit suspended) if you can get a buddy to help you measure, check the static and dynamic sag on the front and rear suspension. it will tell you if your preload is correct or not.

what exactly "doesn't feel right"? in the suspension? you just feel it moving up and down? does it chatter when you turn in or on the brakes? when you are leaned over gassing it hard, does it feel mushy? does it shake a little bit? does it sometimes feel like the steering is not quite going straight where the bike is going? are you putting any weight on the front of the bike or is it all on your lower body?

you might try hanging off the bike more when braking. this takes less effort to hold yourself upright by using the side of your leg on the back of the gas tank. if you brake hard while sitting upright on the bike, it almost forces you to push on the bars unless you are practicing your reverse-crunches every day. (some of us actually do...)

Old March 15th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #32
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

dan, you don't need a bigger more powerful bike...all you need to do to keep from being bored is to wring the 250's neck till it squawks like a chicken...

i am on my fourth pregen 250 with 65k+ miles and i am not bored...i also have a cbr600 and i have just as much fun with the 250...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #33
dk58
ninjette.org member

Trust me, I ride the bike like I stole it every time I take it out.
Alex- I haven't had much seat time this season due to a bad rear tire, so maybe my mind is exaggerating the feel of the front. I guess I would just prefer if the front was a little more firm. Maybe I'll just do the oil and see where that gets me. Cheap and easy, worse case scenario is that I decide maybe eventually I will buy different springs.

Old March 16th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #34
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i hear people complain about the front suspension being soft. i personally think 9 times out of 10 the problem is the rider not being smooth enough. are you bottoming out your forks? are you sliding your front wheel when you are hard on the brakes? have you put a zip tie on the stanchions to see how far they are actually compressing? or do you simply not like the look of standard forks. it's easy to get jealous of fancy things when theres all this marketing telling you you need to buy a brand new R6. honestly though, MOST riders will not be able to take advantage of 3-way adjustable shocks, let alone super fancy 5 way adjustable shocks.
Alex is right, in the streets its not going to matter, youre not pushing your bike the that extent of finding the weak points in the front suspension. On the track you honestly arnt going fast enough to worry about that, going from 90 to 40 quickly isnt too difficult not think about going from 120 to 40 quickly, thants when you nit pick everything

Ive bottomed out my forks a few times before I had them unprofessionally adjusted, but that was on the track, never in the street

Old March 16th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #35
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Dan, if you are bored with the bike, you should try a track day. you'll find a whole new respect for the girl

Old March 16th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #36
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
word..

Or buy a dirt/tard bike for some off road/cart track fun. Sometimes it's good to mix it up a bit.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #37
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Trust me, if you are getting bored, mods will entertain you for a week or two. Won't change the riding experience exponentially.

If you don't want a bigger bike, maybe try dirt bikes, cruisers, something like an sv650,

Old March 16th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #38
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

As good pipl have mentioned already, either take her to the track, or get a different bike. Just make sure to test drive whatever next bike you are considering before deciding on it.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #39
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Demo day? A good way to try out lots of bikes.

I ended up liking my 250 the best
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #40
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Believe it or not, there are better bikes out there But Ninjette is surprisingly hard to beat. A thorough test ride is a must.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote